Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Split stay Swan/Dolphin?

DH and I are planning our first vacation post baby in the spring. We were originally planning 4 nights at YC to take advantage of the proximity of Epcot and DHS (many of the restaurants we want to try are in WS).

I am thinking about changing our plans and adding an additional night because of the price difference. 3 nights at Swan or Dolphin and 2 at one of the monorail resorts (probably Poly). This would sure help me figure out how to squeeze 5 dinners with only a 4 night stay

A few questions...
1. Does it make more sense to do the Disney Resort first to have park tickets attached to the KTTW? Does it matter? I've never stayed without a vacation package.

2. Can we take DME to our resort and not back to the airport?

3. I'm pretty sure there's a car rental place at Swan/Dolphin. Can we rent a car when we check in return it to MCO airport?

Anything else I should know? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
SA mom
DIS Veteran

How exciting! That first trip after baby is so special.

1) You will receive a different key card for each resort so I don't think it matter much which one you visit first.

2) Correct

3) There is car rental at the Dolphin. Yes, you can rent one place and return at the other. It can be a little more expensive. I've heard the rates are market driven so if many people are trying to do the same thing, you will pay more. If fewer people are trying to do the same thing, you will pay less.

Did you know you can book the Swan/Dolphin on points if you have a Starwood American Express. We go about every other year and haven't paid a dime for lodging for years.

Hope you have a wonderful time!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

We have switched from WL to swan several times and loved it. 2 things to consider. Bell Services will pick up your bags and deliver them to Swan and Dolphin. Which is super convenient with a little one. Re; KTTW will probably be a magic band. You will not be able to use the same KTTW or Magic band at the dolphin, but your tickets should be fine on it. You also can't charge to the room at the Swan(except food and merchandise in the Swan and Dolphin) but that is something we quickly got used to. Just carried our Disney Visa with us. I spent years not staying at the Swan and Dolphin because we felt it was not Disney enough, then we stayed there and loved it. Also I love that there king beds seem to be more available at the Swan and Dolphin which is great if you have one in a crib or want to use the sofa bed. We agonize over Beach Club or Dolphin as part of our split stay every year. We tend to switch every year or so because we love them both. THe savings are great at Swan and Dolphin especially if you are not driving (the Swan and Dolphin charges for parking). We are addicted to split stays and even considering a triple split( we always stay 10 days) because the resorts bring us as much pleasure and relaxation as the parks.
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
mom4graceandlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Thank you!!! I think I'd prefer a couple days at Swan or Dolphin. Outside of DME, doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

Thanks for your help. Now time to talk things over with DH some more.

I did read a little bit about the AmEx. Time for more research tomorrow while the little princess naps tomorrow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: