Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
fragas55425
Earning My Ears

Mayan Ruin Tour Recommendations

Hello All:

We will be going on a 7 Night Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy over the Thanksgiving Holiday this year. We want to do a Mayan Ruin tour and was hoping to get some recommendations. We will need one for all ages, as our 2 year old son will be with us.
fragas55425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!

We will be doing the Mayan Ruins at the Costa Maya stop this August.

I'll try to remember to post a review. DN has previously done the Ruins at Cozemel and was not impressed. We'll see how he likes these.
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

We did the Chaccobean Ruins in Costa Maya last week. I really didn't expect to enjoy it, but it was an enjoyable excursion. The bus that we were on was a nicer motor coach. The tour guide talked and was interesting for the hour drive. (This might not always be the case. I would take books or quiet toys for the kids just in case.) Once at the ruins, we were pretty free to walk around and look around. It rained while we were there, but it was still enjoyable. Definitely wear tennis shoes that day.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragas55425 View Post
Hello All:

We will be going on a 7 Night Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy over the Thanksgiving Holiday this year. We want to do a Mayan Ruin tour and was hoping to get some recommendations. We will need one for all ages, as our 2 year old son will be with us.
We did the Chaccoben ruins at Costa Maya and really enjoyed them. Several years ago, we had a private tour of Caracol in Belize, so I think it speaks well for Chaccoben that we still learned more and enjoyed a second tour of Mayan ruins.

Also, there is not too much else to do at Costa Maya, except beach. By doing ruins at Costa Maya, you can to the Rio Secreto in Cozumel. I highly recommend it!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

I'd definitely recommend Chacchoben in Costa Maya for doing ruins with a toddler. The site actually on Cozumel is unimpressive and requires a huge amount of hiking, the wonderful sites a ferry ride to the mainland from Cozumel require the way too long (and often rough and filled with vomiting seasick passengers) ferry to the mainland. Yes, you have to take a bus ride to Chacchoben, but you will to any site.

We booked Chacchoben through DCL and had a great guide, one of the best we've had. (We like ruins and have done several with a toddler or young child.) The ruins do get hot most times of the year. Make sure you use lots of sunscreen, wear hats, and bring lots of bottle water.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
fragas55425
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. When browsing through the options, the Chaccobean Ruins in Costa Maya stood out to me. I figured we would so Ruins in Costa Maya because like someone said there isn't to many other things to do and it will free us up in other Ports of Call. Thanks again!!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Pooh001
Mouseketeer

Chacchoben ruins were great- just got off Fantasy in May. There isn't much to do in Costa Maya so you will find that most of the ship follows you off to one of 10 buses to the ruins. Bring some cash for maps they sell on bus ( 5.00) , trinkets in gift shop and people cleaning bathrooms. I was in awe by how many times our tour guides and drivers thanked us for visiting their port and ruins. Some of them drove 2-4 hours to come to work that day. You will enjoy your afternoon and don't forget to bring a couple bottles of water as it was hot. The bus driver will offer you a cold drink on your return back to the bus which was about 60 min. Hope that helps.
Pooh001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
fragas55425
Earning My Ears

Do you know if they allow strollers? I see they don't allow wheelchairs, so I was wondering if it was the same for strollers. I don't think my 2 year old will want to do all that walking.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Pooh001
Mouseketeer

I think strollers are allowed. I would like to add that it is all very bumpy uneven walkways. I think it would be nearly Impossible to push a stroller. Hope that helps
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Pooh001
Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention the uneven walkways are all dirt
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Princess Melody
Mouseketeer

We brought a stroller (first years jet) when we did the ruins tour in April with our two year old but if I did it over I would leave the stroller behind. She was more interested in walking and climbing and exploring so she spent very little time in her stroller. She was not interested in the tour at all and somebody had to watch her so I didn't get much out of the tour (she would not have been happy if we'd strapped her in the stroller so we could listen & better to let her happily explore & chase her than ruin everyone else's experience with a screaming toddler!). Not impossible to do the tour with the stroller at all though, no problems pushing it, and we just left it parked under a tree while we climbed. It is a lot of walking but she did fine (again, we stuck at the back of the group & let her explore & do things at her pace so we missed almost all the guide's spiels). The bus ride was probably the worst part with her because she wouldn't sleep & it's a really long day & an hour bus ride each way & on the way back she was hot, hungry, & tired (I brought plenty of toddler snacks but no more substansial food). Since you do not pay for a ticket the toddler is expected to ride on your lap if the excursion is full & that was not fun with a wiggly two year old after being sweaty from the tour. See if any of the buses are not full so your toddler can have their own seat even if it means waiting a bit longer in port & therefore returning later (since it's a DCL excursion the ship won't leave without you regardless of when you get back).
We also did the ruins you do not have to take a ferry to in Cozumel. That time we did it on our own (hired a private taxi to take us around for the day) and she liked them equally to the Costa Mayan ones (since toddlers just like to run around, explore, and climb). We accidentally left our stroller in the taxi and it was probably better that way because she did great without it and loved climbing and running around.
With a two year old it is really up to you which ruins you'd rather see. The toddler will be happy exploring and climbing at either site. The two ruins were very different so if you're only doing one the Costa Mayan ruins were far more impressive.
I will say that with a two year old the private taxi worked out great for us & was cheaper to rent for several hours than a DCL excursion (sorry, don't know what company we used). We were able to see several different things on Cozumel at our own pace and when we asked to go to a beach our driver brought us to the most beautiful, toddler friendly, free beach after we left the ruins. There was a huge shallow part with virtually no waves and my toddler was in heaven! We were one of 3 families there so very easy to keep an eye on her and no worries about her schedule all day or her melting down & bothering other passengers since we could come and go to sites as we pleased.
If I ever cruise with a two year old again I will probably rent a private taxi at every port! (We also did Grand Cayman turtle farm on our own but just took a taxi there & city bus back & that worked out great too, especially since the toddler was extremely fussy that day.) The taxis didn't have car seats so if you're concerned about that bring your own. We just belted her in and held her close.
Princess Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
matthew517
Mouseketeer

We did the natives choice tour at Costa Maya. It was great. Less money then the ship tour. Bottled water thru out the trip provided. And the guide grew up at the site. His father found it and owned it before the government boght it from him.
matthew517 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caribbean, mayan, ruins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: