Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

Quite Pools

How quite are quite pools?
We're going to be at POR in May and we're thinking it might be nice to spend our first day in the water, but I would like to be able to actually move around and swim in the pool.
NickyKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Shaft41
Earning My Ears

As with anything else at Disney, your mileage may vary when it comes to quiet pools. When we stayed at POR 2 years ago, the quiet pool was usually fairly busy. Nothing too boisterous, but a fair amount of kids splashing around and having fun. Last year, we were at CBR. We went to a quiet pool in the morning, and it was just that: quiet. I think the nomenclature of calling them "quiet" just refers to their typical noise level compared to the main pool, but I would think if your room was right next to a quiet pool, there would be times you would hope it were more quiet. But you can certainly move around and swim in the quiet pool.
Shaft41 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The name "quiet pool" can be a misnomer. It's just a term for a pool at a resort that is not the main pool. It may or may not be a reflection of how "quiet" it actually is.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyKnack View Post
How quite are quite pools? . . .

1) There is no such thing as a "quiet pool" at WDW.
2) They are simply smaller pools located away from the main pool.
3) This *usually* means fewer kids and less noise.
4) But, this is not guaranteed.
5) And, guards (if they are present) do not enforce "quiet".
6) So, you go to the pool and take your chances.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyKnack
We're going to be at POR in May and we're thinking it might be nice to spend our first day in the water, but I would like to be able to actually move around and swim in the pool.
The quiet pools are much more sedate than the main pool, but not completely quiet or always empty.

They also do not have lifeguards, so they tend to be more laid back and many parents opt to send kids over to the main pool where the lifeguards are located.

I also love going out about 2 am and put my feet in the water. I will not swim for obvious reasons, since I am solo.

But it can be quite quiet that time of night - pardon the pun!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

When you are at a resort that has a larger main pool, with a water slide in it, the other smaller pools are considered to be 'quiet pools'. This is because there is no water slide. Does that mean they are truly 'quiet'? Nope, they can actually be on the noisy side.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've moved this thread to the Disney Resorts board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
terrybsw
Earning My Ears

I am just back from POR (May 31-June 5). We were mid-way between 2 quiet pools. They were used by families with kids. Had the usual kids playing and adults lounging. Never had a problem moving around in the water. When I walked by the main pool, it was never totally packed either--just a lot of activity; Radio Disney music was constant when the activities staff was not doing some kid of game with kids. There was also a pool bar and of course the slide and water features.

As a previous poster noted, quiet pools are smaller with no lifeguard. There is a laundry there as well. Towel return but you must bring towels from the room. Some tables with umbrellas/chairs. I never had a problem finding a chair/lounge in the shade.
terrybsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
janiejake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyKnack View Post
The quiet pools are relatively close to rooms. Noise is not an issue in the day time hours. But, being open 24/7, keep that in mind if you decide to take a midnight dip. There's no problem being able to hop in and swim, but that is not the time to be calling out "Marco", "Polo", lol. I love being able to hop in for a late night swim after closing the parks. Sometimes you have the pool to yourself, other times many have the same idea.
And, it is a great time to be doing a load or two of laundry. Just remember to bring towels from your room.

šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš
Past visits:78,81,90,92,96,97(all off site), 5/99DxL, 2/00DxL,3/00DxL&CSR,3/03POR&Swan,12/03POR, 1/06POR, 3/09 POR, 3/11 POR 1/12 POR/POFQ 12/31/14-01/02/151/13 ASSp
janiejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
brertoad
DIS Veteran

I think the time of day that you swim is really what makes it noisy or quiet, because of the crowds, regardless of which pool you are using - there are exceptions, some pools are crowded most of the time like SAB. We have swam at OKW at night with no one else in the main pool. At Luna Park, WL and AKL main pool, at night with few people, also at one of the quiet pools at Boardwalk with no one else swimming.

If you have to swim during busiest times of day, then the quiet pool may not be as quiet as you may like, but it should not be as loud as the main pool. Activities go on at the main pool, so most of the noise is going to be there, there are usually games and trivia contests and what not going on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: