Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
mommy2twinprincesses
Disney Addict

Yacht club or Beach club?

Right now are booked in a garden view room at YC, but I'm curious to whether people prefer one over the other. Does it really matter?

July '14 Dream Cruise June/July '14 CBR/YC Dance the World! Nov. '13 POR Apr. '12 CSR Feb. '11 CSR Feb. '09 Off site Nov. '08 Off site Nov./Dec. '07 Pop Apr. '04 DL Paradise Pier Sep. '01 Vistana (Honeymoon) Nov. '95 Dixie Landings Nov. '93 Dixie Landings Nov. '90 CR
mommy2twinprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twinprincesses View Post
Right now are booked in a garden view room at YC, but I'm curious to whether people prefer one over the other. Does it really matter?
What are your priorities?

YC and BC share a pool, so it doesn't matter which resort you're staying at. Both are very convenient for DHS and Epcot (YC is slightly better for DHS and BC is slightly better for BC). You can easily get from one resort to the other for the dining options. I spend more time in Epcot, so that gives the BC a slight edge.

In terms of theme and atmosphere, the BC seems to be more lively. At least the lobby seemed busier with more people. The YC seemed quieter, except when there was a big conference going on. In terms of looks, I like the nautical and brass look of the YC; the BC is more whimsical with pastels and a seashore theme.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I slightly prefer the lighter décor at the Beach Club, but I would be perfectly happy staying at either resort. Please note that essentially all rooms at the Yacht Club have full-sized balconies, but only around 50% of the rooms at the Beach Club do. The rest are smaller, standing-only Juliet balconies.

Here is the info we have posted on the YC/BC FAQ about the differences between the two resorts

The Beach Club and Yacht Club are similar resorts in terms of service and amenities, and have equal access to the shared pool complex, health club and video arcade. Both resorts have the same management team in place.

Some minor differences have been noted by guests:

Beach Club
Lighter, beachy decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby can be active and lively with families waiting for meals at Cape May
Closer to EPCOT and Marketplace Gift Shop
Approximately 50% of rooms in all room categories have full balconies. The remaining are standing balconies.

Yacht Club
Darker woods and nautical decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby is more serene
Convention attendees are more likely to be booked at YC
Closer to Hollywood Studios and Friendship Boats
Most rooms have a full balcony

Want more details about the differences between the two resorts? Check out this awesome blog post (November 2011) from The World of Deej:
The World of Deej: BC vs. YC

Pixarmom's comparison of BC and YC

natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Belle1386
Earning My Ears

I worked at both, and this is the feedback we got from people who were staying there. Beach Club is more family oriented, and is closer to the International Gateway. Not all rooms have full balconies, which may or may not be important to you and your family. Also, the marketplace is on the Beach Club side, making it easier to grab and go any time of the day. The Beach Club also has the Kid's Club and the Character breakfast in the morning. The Beach Club is themed to turn of the century Cape Cod beach resorts, using the color white which gives it an airy feeling.
Yacht Club is quieter in nature, and more subdued in theming. It is the resort many conventioneers stay in when they are at Disney and is more suited for the business traveler, or those who desire a quieter atmosphere, or more of an adult feel. All of the rooms have a full balcony. They share the marketplace with The Beach Club. There is however a continental breakfast grab and go service located in the small lounge right off of the lobby, and Captain's Grill offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is a little bit farther to walk to Epcot, but the boat dock is right outside the backdoor of the lobby. Both have their own bus stops, and of course access to all of the same amenities. The Yacht Club is themed to turn of the century yacht clubs and is more masculine in use of color, with lots of dark wood. You will love staying there, no matter which side you choose.
Dixie Landing - 1993, 1998; Wilderness Lodge - 2000; Caribbean Beach Resort - 2001, 2004, 2006; The Contemporary - 2002; All Star Movies - 2003, 2012; The Polynesian- 2005, 2007; Port Orleans French Quarter 2007, 2009, 2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012;, Coronado Springs 2010, 2011; Pop Century, 2008, 2009, 2011; Vero Beach Resort, 2012 Hoping for a stay in October--- no resort decided yet!
Portofino Bay 2005, 2013; Hard Rock Hotel 2005, Royal Pacific 2013 x2
Belle1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
sndral
DIS Veteran

I prefer the Yacht club because the full balcony is important to me.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle1386 View Post
is more masculine in use of color, with lots of dark wood.
I was unaware of the link between dark wood in decorating and the presence of testosterone.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We have only stayed at BC because we love the whimsical beach feel of the resort. We really like the decor and the atmosphere there too. It's funny, we are booked there for 3 nights in May and just yesterday I was thinking of changing over to YC instead just so we can try it out. After looking at pictures, I came to the conclusion that there really isn't a significant difference between YC and BC....both are located by Epcot and HS, both share the same amazing pool (SAB), and both are near some amazing dining choices. I guess it all comes down to what atmosphere you like. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

I find the YC's rooms to be a little cheesy with the sailor/yacht headboards and decor. However all of the rooms have a full balcony. If you have kids the kiddie pool is also on the YC side. Buses pick up YC guests first.

I like the Beach Club decor much more. But in the end you're basically staying at one big resort with all of the same amenities and perks; they're just located on certain sides of the hotel.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We actually preferred the color scheme and decor of the YC, and also the promise of a full balcony.

Prior to staying at YC, we had visited the lobbies of both and found the lobby of BC to be louder and more hectic and YC to be more serene, which we preferred.

We loved our stay at YC, but honestly I think we would stay at either one.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We've only stayed at the Beach Club. We would go to the Marketplace several times a day to refill our mugs or pick up a snack. There is no place to refill mugs all day at the Yacht Club.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ

Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

We stayed water view in Oct at YC, this Oct we're doing BC. I actually prefer the decor of YC but the walk to refill mugs was just too far that we barely ever did. It was a pain when we needed something for our toddlers and had to walk all the way to the BC market.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: