Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

3 nights at Contemporary Club Level - eh.

My daughter and I came back last week from a mother/daughter quick 3 day trip to Disney to celebrate the finish of first semester of college with straight "A's" (that was the excuse I used for the trip, anyway ). DD had asked if we could stay at the Contemporary, as we had last stayed there in 2001, in the North Garden Wing, and she was young and didn't remember it. She had been asking for years to be able to stay in the main building with the monorail, so I booked it and surprised her with a Club Level stay.

We have stayed at each of the Deluxe resorts over the years, some Club Level some not, but our favorite resort is AKL. We like the furnishings, the solitude, and the animals. The Contemporary was very different!

We found the Castmembers to be very nice and pleasant, though housekeeping was not as willing to return a smile or greeting as those we have met at other resorts. Housekeeping was a bit of a disappointment, and not just because we never had towel animals . The room was dusty, I found a cap for what appeared to be a deodorant container under the desk, and what appeared to be the remnants of someone's nose blowing on the shower curtain, amongst other things. We stayed 3 nights at Contemporary, and 3 times I asked the housekeeper to clean off that shower curtain, and it was not done until our last full day. I did not inform management about the housekeeping issue because I was of the mistaken impression that speaking to someone directly would take care of it. Plus, it is the holidays, and I didn't want to get someone in trouble.

The Club Level staff was very friendly and gave the level of service I expect from Club Level at Walt Disney World. If we asked for water, they were quick to bring us a bottle from the back, the attendants in the lounge had tables cleaned off very quickly, and when they would ask how our day was going, they always seemed genuine and waited for an answer. No complaints with Club Level staff, we liked them!

Our room, however, was a problem.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post the room number, but we were in the 48XX section. I have already mentioned how dusty the room was, but what struck us upon walking in was the terribly frayed carpet that was coming up from where the carpet met the foyer. Also, the two loose tiles in the doorway from the foyer to the bathroom. The whole room smelled dusty and dank, as if it had not been aired out in weeks. Having never stayed at the Contemporary, I was not sure if this was a normal smell, like at the Polynesian there is a "smell", but it just comes with the surroundings.

My daughter and I said nothing the first night, as we were were out and about until midnight after check-in, and I figured I would just let the room issues go, as it was holiday season and they were most likely busy attending to other things. Surely housekeeping would have let management knew about the lack of upkeep on the room?

Night one, we get back, and lo and behold, it is loud in the main building of the Contemporary! And that early morning, around 5:45, announcement and beeping in the lobby, well it just makes its way up into your room, even if you have rolled up a towel and placed it into the opening between the door and floor. And it was the middle of the night when I realized the door did not close completely flush with the frame. Out came the earplugs, and a vow to never stay in the main building again.

First full day, busy again. That night, my little toe got pinched between the two loose tiles in the bathroom because I was half asleep and forgot to step carefully around the tiles. Not pleasant at 2 in the morning! Missing some skin on that toe at that point. I decided to let the staff at the Club desk know about the tile and carpet in the morning, and they made sure it was fixed by the time we got back that afternoon.

Unfortunately, housekeeping never made it into the room to clean up the grout dust from the repair, and it was all over EVERYTHING! In the beds, on the floor, grouty dust on toilet, etc. I went and asked for a cleaning, and was told then that our room was one of a few that had been closed for awhile and just been opened for the season, and apologies for it should have been inspected before we were placed in it.

Has Disney cut staff so much that they don't even have people walk through the rooms anymore and look around? Even if the tile was never noticed, the carpet fraying and separated from the the foyer would have been blatantly obvious.

For the price I paid to stay in a Club Level room at the Contemporary, it was not worth it. The noise, well that just comes with the design, and I know that I prefer a quieter experience. The state of the room though, that I am very disappointed with, and I have had rooms in better shape at Hampton Inns than at the Contemporary, for a lot less money. I was told that I would receive a call from management about our room, but I never did.

While I was not going to complain about the housekeeping, I did want management to know how unacceptable it was to not even inspect a room that had been closed off, before putting guests in it. At least then the cosmetic problems in the room would have been taken care of before a guest saw them, and it would not influence one's opinion of the resort. After all, noise, well, that is just a given, but the state of the room was not expected in a room that costs a ridiculous amount of money.

Honestly, even if the room had been perfect, I would never stay in the main building again. The noise just permeated the room too easily. The location was great though, and it was a really easy walk to Magic Kingdom. While we really liked the staff at Club Level, I will say that the offerings were not as varied or abundant as what we have had at AKL. A bit of protein in the morning, instead of just breads and cereal, would be nice. But if all the resorts were the same, then what fun would that be? And either way, I had a great time with my daughter, and we had a great laugh over my mutated little toe, because was are just goofy that way!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
snorris2
Earning My Ears

I'm glad I read this. We are planning our next trip and my husband is so set on this resort-even with the ridiculous price tag. I would rather stay in a mod and go for a longer period of time.
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

It really saddens me when someone who stays Club Level has a bad experience like this. My heart has dropped. The room should not have been in that kind of condition. They should have offered an upgrade but from club level to where? Maybe an offer to move you to GF or Poly or AKL Club Level. But now you're home and the experience cannot be fixed anymore. So sorry.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I'm shocked they put you in a room that hadn't been inspected. Have you contacted guest services? I think you should. That's just unacceptable.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Perhaps the noise was due to the door not fitting properly. When we stayed there we were on the ninth floor and had no problems with noise at any time. I'm sorry you had some housekeeping issues. I would love to stay in the tower again!
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Snorris2, if you were wanting the Contemporary for the location but perhaps are a light sleeper as I am, there is a South Garden Wing that might be nice. I do recall the rooms in the North wing as being huge, so I assume the same is true for the South wing. And it may be much quieter.

Jperrot1, while it would have been nice for management to contact me (as I was told they would, and I confirmed my cell phone number as the contact), they never did. If they had, I would not necessarily have asked for a different room, just that the room we were in be properly cleaned once the repairs were made. After all, the repairs were made in a timely manner once the staff was notified, but I have to wonder if management is even aware that rooms are not inspected before guests go in them? I thought at least the lead on the housekeeping team inspected the rooms after they were clean for a quality control check? Either way, changing resorts for a short stay was not something I would have wanted to do, unless I was being sent to the Castle! Now that upgrade would be amazing!

Marthasor, I haven't contacted guest services. I will be writing a letter though, after things calm down here from the holidays. If management had contacted me, I would have no need, but someone needs to know to look at those rooms, especially if they have been closed off for a period of time.

Sadie22, I assumed the door not fitting was just a by-product of the age of the resort? I will make note of it in the letter I send.

Thanks for the feedback!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Kimberle
WL Vet

I have had housekeeping "hits" and "misses", too. I think in general, WDW has cut back on their housekeeping budget.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
stephk1981
Earning My Ears

I'm so sorry to hear about your room but glad it didn't ruin the amazing time you had with your daughter!

On the subject of housekeeping, on our recent stay at the Beach Club we had a couple of disappointments, although nothing as significant as yours. We always tip daily and I guess have been spolied by our previous mousekeepers because there have always been towel animals waiting for my son each day. However we didn't get even one for our entire stay at BC. In addition, one morning my son and I were on our way out of the room when the housekeeper was at our door. We had our bags in hand and literally leaving, and the housekeeper just asked if we needed towels. I said yes we did, my son and I left to go to the park and when we returned there were a stack of towels sitting on the toilet. The room had not been cleaned at all.....beds weren't made, the dirty towels were still in the stack I had left them in on the floor etc. We encountered the housekeeper at 9 30am and didn't return to the unmade room until 7 30pm....it was a little odd. I've never had that happen. We aren't complainers and it didn't bother me that much so I didn't notify the front desk......but we've definitely never had this happen at the Poly. Maybe it was just a miscommunication?

Me DH DS (5)

Disneyworld: 1987-1994 offsite 5 times, 1995 All star music, 1997 All star sports, 2000 All star movies, 2003 POR, Feb 2010 Poly (sons 1st trip!), Feb 2011 Poly, Feb 2012 Poly, Feb 2013 Poly, Dec 2013 BC, Sept 2014 BWI CL, Nov 2014 BC
Disneyland: 1993, 2004
stephk1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
ps17
DIS Veteran

Sorry about your stay.

We were there at club level MK view just last Christmas week. We had no problems with the condition of our room and found it just as magical as ever. We weren't bothered nor heard any of the sounds from the lobby.

During both sunsets and evenings, we spent time on the balcony with curtains wide open and took in spectacular sunsets with all the lights coming from the boats, monorail, resorts - and at night as we wound down, we left curtains open and let the color of MK and the changing colors of the castle soak in.

We also stayed at AK savannah view which was equally great although we weren't in the Arusha Savanahh and the one we overlooked did not have a lot of animals or foliage.

All in all, we liked both places (as well as Beach Club) and would not hesitate to return.
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
ps17
DIS Veteran

I will add that on our trip we stayed at AK, Contemporary, Beach Club, and Hard Rock (Club level). Housekeeping on this trip was hit and miss at all resorts. Twice (AK, Hard Rock), the room became availalble pretty late.

Also, the time for which they did our rooms was inconsistent and 2 of 3 nights at Hard Rock, we did not get turndown service. We aren't too picky but as a general observation, we feel like housekeeping in general had a downturn for us.... And if you are paying exhorbitant prices, it better be top notch...
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
spodie
Mouseketeer

Interesting. We stayed CL at the Contemporary in May and had a great experience, from the concierge staff to housekeeping. I can only imagine that Christmastime is a stressful time for all Cast Members, but it's still no excuse for housekeeping not responding your requests in a timely manner. Hopefully, your experience was an anomaly and the Contemporary will continue living up to its high standards!

My *only* complaint was that they didn't have those little Mickey Domes from Chef Mickey's in the lounge! The Polynesian lounge has those pot stickers and salad from O'hana, GF has the Strawberry Soup from 1900 Park Fare....no Mickey Domes for the Contemporary!? I would have gotten SO much more of my money's worth if those things were in there!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

I had an issue once with housekeeping. We came back to our room and there were sheets just thrown all over the bed. It looked like a toddler attempted to make their bed. I called housekeeping and asked for a manager and my assigned housekeeper.

The manager arrived with the housekeeper and the manager actually said to me, "She didn't know. She doesn't speak much English." To which I said, "I didn't know that in order to make a bed you had to speak English." I politely asked them to leave, went to the front desk, spoke to the manager and the issue was fixed.

I love Disney's resorts but it's gotten to the point where I cringe when I see housekeeping.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: