DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
This has to cap soon (I think). Just got word from a broker that 3 separte 25 pt. BLT contracts went for their asking prices of between $110-$115. Now, I get those are nice small contracts. But still, $110+ is high, especially considering closing costs on each of those.

If you're a DISer selling those congrats . BUT, at the same time, boo for not accepting our offers .

I can't believe that's sustainable. One of the 3 was sold within the hour, the other 2 in less than 24 hours.

Crazy.
While I agree with the general thoughts on this thread, I don't think that these examples are indicative of how hot the market is or isn't. There is a whole group of buyers hiding in the shadows that are looking for 25 and 50 point contracts at just about all the resorts. Because those contracts come up so infrequently, many of them have been waiting a year or more to find what they need. When the contract comes up, especially if it's the right use year, it sells immediately almost regardless of price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedkin View Post
I thought that with the selling of VGF might drop the prices in resale thinking that more people might buy direct for VGF leaving a lot of resale contracts on the market and even people dumping contracts to buy VGF, but clearly that isn't the case.
One would think. The problem is most of these exchanges involve giving up X number of points at the current resort to buy 1/3 X points at VGF where the number of points required per stay is 50% higher.

Or, put another way, you'd have to sell a 200 point contract at SSR to get a 75 point contract at VGF and you would end up getting 3 nights a year instead of 10. It's just not a good value proposition, so I really don't think it's happening that much.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
gibbow
Mouseketeer

Looking to Purchase

With a new job starting in a Month, I'm very interested in purchasing into the DVC. I've rented points here earlier this year and absolutely loved the experience. With the gap between resale and direct pay closing, I too am questioning whether it would be worth it going directly to be able to use points elsewhere.

I've been checking in on the resale prices just waiting to save enough for a down payment without living too tightly elsewise...

Super excited, I wish I would be able to afford buying in at the VGF for a reasonable amount of points, or to wait until the Poly gets a DVC addition...

So much to think about... but I firmly believe I'll be buying in one way or another
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbow View Post
With a new job starting in a Month, I'm very interested in purchasing into the DVC. I've rented points here earlier this year and absolutely loved the experience. With the gap between resale and direct pay closing, I too am questioning whether it would be worth it going directly to be able to use points elsewhere.

I've been checking in on the resale prices just waiting to save enough for a down payment without living too tightly elsewise...

Super excited, I wish I would be able to afford buying in at the VGF for a reasonable amount of points, or to wait until the Poly gets a DVC addition...

So much to think about... but I firmly believe I'll be buying in one way or another
Although the gap on some resale contracts may be slimmer than others (popular resorts, small, loaded contracts typically), I think resale still can be a significant savings. I believe that the best value for using DVC points is to use them at a DVC resort. I would further investigate whether using your points elsewhere would be of value to your individual situation. For example, some say it is better to rent their points & use the $$ to pay for a cruise instead of using points to pay for cruise. I bought resale with the sole intention of using them at DVC resorts & the savings vs. direct pricing was significant. Better decision for my situation. This board is a great source of info. so research away & good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
gibbow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
Although the gap on some resale contracts may be slimmer than others (popular resorts, small, loaded contracts typically), I think resale still can be a significant savings. I believe that the best value for using DVC points is to use them at a DVC resort. I would further investigate whether using your points elsewhere would be of value to your individual situation. For example, some say it is better to rent their points & use the $$ to pay for a cruise instead of using points to pay for cruise. I bought resale with the sole intention of using them at DVC resorts & the savings vs. direct pricing was significant. Better decision for my situation. This board is a great source of info. so research away & good luck!

Thank you! I have read here in a few places it is financially wiser to book a cruise with $$ over points, and have heard many people including CM's that they think the convenience is worth it (thank you to those who took the time to calculate it )

On my trip to SSR this May, while walking through the GF after Narcoossee's we ran into a DVC information table, decided to ask a small simple question and we ended up speaking with the lady for over an hour, most pleasant. The next day we had an open house scheduled, and we were very much turned off by the demeanor and attitude of the sales rep.

All of the other CM's (are they still CM's if they work through the DVC?) were so pleasant tho!

With the economy rising, hopefully more people may sell smaller contracts which I could perhaps pounce upon
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Got an e-mail blast at 2:04 about a Sept BWV 50 pt with 2014 points and beyond. $90/pt!

Just got a f/u e-mail at 2:35 that the contract was sold for asking price.

Yep . . . it's a sellers market, alright!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbow View Post
Thank you! I have read here in a few places it is financially wiser to book a cruise with $$ over points, and have heard many people including CM's that they think the convenience is worth it (thank you to those who took the time to calculate it )

On my trip to SSR this May, while walking through the GF after Narcoossee's we ran into a DVC information table, decided to ask a small simple question and we ended up speaking with the lady for over an hour, most pleasant. The next day we had an open house scheduled, and we were very much turned off by the demeanor and attitude of the sales rep.

All of the other CM's (are they still CM's if they work through the DVC?) were so pleasant tho!

With the economy rising, hopefully more people may sell smaller contracts which I could perhaps pounce upon
If you are patient & stalk the reseller websites, you will find the right contract(s) for you if you decide to go resale. We found 2 smaller contracts (each 100 points or less) @ BWV & BCV that passed ROFR. We are really pleased with buying resale. Saved us many thousands of $$$. We were anxious throughout the whole ROFR process but now that it is over, we are thrilled about using our points!!! Well worth it.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
collections
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We found 2 smaller contracts (each 100 points or less) @ BWV & BCV that passed ROFR. We are really pleased with buying resale. Saved us many thousands of $$$.
I don't see your BWV and BCV contracts listed on the main "ROFR" thread. What are the details?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #23
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collections View Post
I don't see your BWV and BCV contracts listed on the main "ROFR" thread. What are the details?
I don't post the details as some of the contract can sometimes become subject to intense scrutiny. I paid what I felt comfortable with on contracts that fit my needs. BWV & BCV both under 100 points paying in the $60's for 1 & $80's for other.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
collections
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I paid what I felt comfortable with on contracts that fit my needs.
That's a very important factor in buying. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
Got an e-mail blast at 2:04 about a Sept BWV 50 pt with 2014 points and beyond. $90/pt!

And by "f/u email" you mean "follow up", correct? Normally I would call that crazy, but not anymore. While I do think the price is high, I also think that the buyer probably was on a wait list for the same contract and that this is a faster (believe it or not), less expensive option. So in comparison they saved about $20 per point, more or less and the seller got a wicked good price. Seller's market indeed!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
And by "f/u email" you mean "follow up", correct?

Didn't even think about that other interpretation of that abbreviation!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post

So do you think I could get $100/pt for my August 50 point BWV contract that has all 50 2013 points available?

I am not planning to sell, but if the prices keep rising like this..........

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

If Disney increases the price of old resorts again (have heard nothing of such happening), I would not be surprised if the resale price of old resorts keep edging closer to $100/pp at least on the smaller contracts.
How often does Disney increase the prices of the older resorts?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
So do you think I could get $100/pt for my August 50 point BWV contract that has all 50 2013 points available?

Anything is possible. It just takes one person that really wants to own at BWV and it's still a savings over direct. Would probably have a high chance of passing ROFR
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post

I may buy it my use year and what I'm looking for lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17 DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12 DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, SSR 7/7-7/11/14 BWV 10/8-10/12/14, VGF 2/10-2/13/15 DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: