Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Dominion
Mouseketeer

Questions about Ohana dinner food

I was all set to book 'Ohana for one of our ADRs but I'm not sure its a good idea now. One member of our party is a diabetic and isn't supposed to eat a lot of sugary foods. It seems like a lot of the sides might just be too much sugar for him - stir fried vegetables, mango dressing on salad, egg noodles in peanut sauce with pineapple. Can anyone tell me how sweet the food actually is? Are the meats pre-glazed with sauces or do they come seasoned only and then you use the dipping sauces?

Also, is there an alternative dessert for the kids besides the banana bred pudding? Can anyone tell me what the alternatives for the kids dinner are?

I've heard good things and was excited about the entertainment for the kids too, but I can't decide now if this is a good idea or not...

Thanks!
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
I was all set to book 'Ohana for one of our ADRs but I'm not sure its a good idea now. One member of our party is a diabetic and isn't supposed to eat a lot of sugary foods. It seems like a lot of the sides might just be too much sugar for him - stir fried vegetables, mango dressing on salad, egg noodles in peanut sauce with pineapple. Can anyone tell me how sweet the food actually is? Are the meats pre-glazed with sauces or do they come seasoned only and then you use the dipping sauces?

Also, is there an alternative dessert for the kids besides the banana bred pudding? Can anyone tell me what the alternatives for the kids dinner are?

I've heard good things and was excited about the entertainment for the kids too, but I can't decide now if this is a good idea or not...

Thanks!
The last time I went was Aug. 2011. I LOVED this dinner. But to your questions much of the food is sweet (chicken wings, lo mein). However, I don't believe that the pork, beef, chicken, or shrimp were glazed. I don't eat sugar anymore and would still plan to go here but would have to stay away from some items. I'd have some salad, chicken, broccoli (there may be a sauce - I honestly can't remember). And, I don't know what the kids options are. Have an awesome trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Regarding the diabetic in your group. When you make your ADR, simply put a note on the reservation stating that one member of the group is a diabetic. When you arrive for your ADR, remind your server when you are seated. They will provide food suitable for that guest, in addition to the regular dishes that are set out for the rest of your group.

Sorry, can't remember the details on optional desserts.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

The diabetic in your group should be fine. Note it on your ADR and they can do some things like salad without dressing or wings without sauce etc. They have to watch carbs not sugar! The noodles are loaded with carbs so they will have to limit those. The meats are seasoned but not sauced. My dad is type 1 diabetic and had no problem eating here.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: