Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
kabbie
DIS Veteran

Picky eater at Ohana's

I have dinner reservations for my family this Sept at Ohana's (will be our first time eating there). Majority of us are looking forward to the atmosphere and food, but My problem is with my dad. He is a very picky eater and is limited with what he can eat. The only thing he would eat on the menu is steak, but he can't now because of his teeth. He doesn't like anything else on the menu (salad, chicken wings, potstickers, noodles, veggies - you get the idea) - Is there a way he could get a simple hamburger patty? Or not eat and pay an entertainment fee?

Thanks!

Read about a WDW Vet solo trip to Disneyland
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1355408
1991 Offsite 1992-1997 Lived in Tampa; Visited as a Day Visitor several times a year 2000 Offsite-Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway 2002 Offsite Jan 2004 Marriott Village (I work for Marriott) Dec 2005 All Star Vacation Home Sept 28-Oct 3, 2006 POR (First time on property!) Feb 6-10, 2007 1st time at Disneyland (Anaheim Fairfield) Sept 26-Oct 5, 2007 WL/BWV Dec 12-14, 2007 Marriott Village (free room)Dec3-10, 2008 Marriott Grande Vista May 16-21, 2009 BWV Dec 12-17, 2009 POFQ/BCV/VWLOct 20 - 24, 2010 Marriott's Sabal Palms Aug 3-8, 2011 Disneyland - Anaheim Marriott Suites
kabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Not sure of the answer to whether he can request a hamburger patty. But I'm almost certain he won't be able to sit with you and not eat, even if he was willing to pay a reduced fee. There's no way for WDW to "police" (or keep track of) whether someone eats or not at buffet and family-style restaurants -- you could see how someone might try to take advantage of that (although that's not what the OP is trying to do).

As far as I know, if you're sitting at the table, you have to pay the full price, regardless of whether you eat or not.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
kabbie
DIS Veteran

Really? A few years ago, my dad got violently ill with food poisoning while at Disney (after airport or Garden Grill - not sure- one never knows with food born illnesses). We went to Crystal Palace one morning and he couldn't eat, but he still wanted to see my nieces' character interaction. Our server knew my dad didn't eat so he charged a $10 "entertainment fee". I should have mentioned this in my previous post - sorry.

1991 Offsite 1992-1997 Lived in Tampa; Visited as a Day Visitor several times a year 2000 Offsite-Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway 2002 Offsite Jan 2004 Marriott Village (I work for Marriott) Dec 2005 All Star Vacation Home Sept 28-Oct 3, 2006 POR (First time on property!) Feb 6-10, 2007 1st time at Disneyland (Anaheim Fairfield) Sept 26-Oct 5, 2007 WL/BWV Dec 12-14, 2007 Marriott Village (free room)Dec3-10, 2008 Marriott Grande Vista May 16-21, 2009 BWV Dec 12-17, 2009 POFQ/BCV/VWLOct 20 - 24, 2010 Marriott's Sabal Palms Aug 3-8, 2011 Disneyland - Anaheim Marriott Suites
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbie View Post
Really? A few years ago, my dad got violently ill with food poisoning while at Disney (after airport or Garden Grill - not sure- one never knows with food born illnesses). We went to Crystal Palace one morning and he couldn't eat, but he still wanted to see my nieces' character interaction. Our server knew my dad didn't eat so he charged a $10 "entertainment fee". I should have mentioned this in my previous post - sorry.
I'm so sorry they charged him a fee to just sit there - I really would have thought that the park ticket would have covered the price of entertainment.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Minnie824
DIS Veteran

I would think they would bring him what he would eat. My mom is VERY picky and we went there a few years ago. They brought her a bowl of buttered noodles because that was all she wanted...oh and a huge bowl of fruit as a side. They've been pretty good about bringing other items for my kids as well.
Minnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You were very lucky and received some "pixie dust" from a CM then, because this is against Disney policy. They are very clear that everyone at the table pay the full price. There have even been reports of individuals with feeding tubes who are clearly unable to eat being charged. I certainly would not expect that to happen again.
I also would not expect to be able to order him a hamburger either. If it is not on the menu then it probably is not even available in the kitchen. I also checked both the adult and children's menus at nearby Kona Cafe for you and they do not offer a hamburger. It always amazes me when folks want to order something completely off menu. Why would they even have that item available if they do not serve it?
If you want your Dad with you, it sounds like this restaurant may not work for you.
Good Luck in your decision.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have dinner reservations for my family this Sept at Ohana's (will be our first time eating there). Majority of us are looking forward to the atmosphere and food, but My problem is with my dad. He is a very picky eater and is limited with what he can eat. The only thing he would eat on the menu is steak, but he can't now because of his teeth. He doesn't like anything else on the menu (salad, chicken wings, potstickers, noodles, veggies - you get the idea) - Is there a way he could get a simple hamburger patty? Or not eat and pay an entertainment fee?

Thanks!
Are there any children in your party? When we went with my son, we were automatically offered kids meal. My son didn't really eat the kids meal, my DH ate most of the fries.

So if there are children there, I am sure that you can ask for a kids meal and then your dad can just eat off that.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Unfortunately, you will be charged full price for Dad unless you receive some extremely lucky pixie dust. I would also ask for a kids meal for him and have him pick at that. Or talk to the server about what he can eat and maybe the kitchen can make him something with the ingredients they have on hand?!?
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
I'm so sorry they charged him a fee to just sit there - I really would have thought that the park ticket would have covered the price of entertainment.
At Crystal Palace? A buffet?? Not a chance. If you sit at a table, they will charge you full price even if you nible on just one piece of bacon. Thats just how it is.

As others have said, if you get lucky and get a really really nice CM, you might get away with it. But i wouldnt count on it.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
kabbie
DIS Veteran

Trust me when we were at Crystal Palace, we fully intended on paying full price for my Dad. The CM let us know when he dropped off the bill that he was just charging the entertainment fee. He made out it to be a routine that they had and that our situation was not uncommon.

Thank you for everyone's input.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

They brought chicken nuggets for my picky son (who was a Disney adult ) but we were charged the full adult price. Overall, I'm in the minority who isn't a fan. The food was just okay and I thought it was expensive for what it was. We try to stay away from the set price menus now just because it's not worth it for how much we tend to eat.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

We went for my Birthday last Jan and I was so excited...untill we got the food...I wasnt that big of a fan but it wasnt bad...but DH HATED everything. He is not into his food tasting sweet and everything is sweet. I mentioned this to the server and the chef came right out....

Ended up making us a huge plate of grilled shrimp (no sauce) chicken wings (without the sauce) and plain rice. We were also offered the childrens offerings (I know chicken nuggest and fries maybe something else).

And they sent out soooooo much food enough for 4 people...surprising my husband ate it all lol. Def got his moneys worth on that shrimp...

So they do go above and beyond to make sure you are happy.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I would go in expecting that he will pay full price and be offered only the adult foods, and if anything beyond that happens if would be just magic. What does he eat? It is possible they could bring him something off the kids menu but they don't have to and might not. The chicken there is very plain and simple, would he maybe eat that, and ask for some of the noodles plain and do some fruit. My FIL is the pickiest man EVER. He simply eats before we go, and will drink coffee and have dessert( maybe) with us.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
kabbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
I would go in expecting that he will pay full price and be offered only the adult foods, and if anything beyond that happens if would be just magic. What does he eat? It is possible they could bring him something off the kids menu but they don't have to and might not. The chicken there is very plain and simple, would he maybe eat that, and ask for some of the noodles plain and do some fruit. My FIL is the pickiest man EVER. He simply eats before we go, and will drink coffee and have dessert( maybe) with us.
That's exactly what we are prob going to do - have him get a hamburger at Capt Cooks and go to Ohanas as a family. I made regret the decision because of the mixed reviews about Ohanas - the DIS Unplugged reviews are enough to scare anyone. But I want to give it a shot. My dad unfortunately won't eat chicken - he is weird! He grew up on a farm and witnessed his mom butchering chickens and he is scarred for life.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

I agree with other, either ask for something special to be cooked-like plain noodles or get some of the childrens food for him. Is there anything he likes at Kona? I have heard of people getting food from there at their Ohana meal.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: