Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
kmadison714
Earning My Ears

Upgrades at port

Just wondering about experiences with upgrades at the port. We booked the cheapest room for our cruise next Easter (category 11c) because we don't intend on spending much time in the room, so why spend the money. The difference in price is between $800-1000. If there are available verandah rooms at the time of check in, is it significantly cheaper??? I'm not counting on anything being available because it will be Easter/spring break, but I'm curious

Katie
kmadison714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"

We were booked in an ocean view room last year for our Alaskan cruise. We asked about upgrading to a verandah room when we checked in at port. It was over $1500 to upgrade. We politely declined.

I think the price to upgrade depends on the category you have booked vs the upgrade you want and how full (or empty) the ship is.

It doesn't hurt to ask! We had an amount set in our heads before we asked. It exceeded that price so we passed. Good luck!
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadison714 View Post
Just wondering about experiences with upgrades at the port. We booked the cheapest room for our cruise next Easter (category 11c) because we don't intend on spending much time in the room, so why spend the money. The difference in price is between $800-1000. If there are available verandah rooms at the time of check in, is it significantly cheaper??? I'm not counting on anything being available because it will be Easter/spring break, but I'm curious

Katie
I would think the odds are so low during a heavy week, that I would not even consider it as possible. With that being said, and as already mentioned, the price depends on multiple variables. None of those variables help your situation (i.e. ship will be at or near capacity). We just got back from the Fantasy on a crowded ship (3900+ guests) and there were no upgrades available whatsoever.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Keep check the website up to 3 days (they then take them down) before you go. You will have a good idea what if anything is available. You would have to get to the Port early to upgrade though (well most of the time).
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
I would think the odds are so low during a heavy week, that I would not even consider it as possible. With that being said, and as already mentioned, the price depends on multiple variables. None of those variables help your situation (i.e. ship will be at or near capacity). We just got back from the Fantasy on a crowded ship (3900+ guests) and there were no upgrades available whatsoever.

DWF
Did you just get off this past Saturday? I looked for that cruise and it was unavailable for weeks prior, I guess because of Memorial day. I have booked that week for next year From what I understand, Disney cruises typically sail full so I am trying not to shy away from a sold out ship.

ALMinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Also no upgrades available on our Fantasy cruise. A sign at Guest Services said, "This sailing is full. No stateroom upgrades are available." or something like that. They probably said it more nicely.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: