Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal
 
Subi WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 571

I think the way to look at it is: someone will always give more than you; someone will always give less. The concierge staff has seen the gamut, and your tip is probably somewhere in the middle of their spectrum, whatever you give.

To the PP, you can add concierge tips to your onboard account. The bartenders you will need to tip in cash.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
hmangus
Mouseketeer
 
hmangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 98

I feel soo cheap I did 20 per person for the 3 of us! Eeek!
__________________


November 2002 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2006 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2012 Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas WDW
January 2012 Disney Dream (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2013 Saratoga Springs Mini Vacation
May 2013 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Castaway Cay)
November 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, San Juan & Castaway Cay)
hmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
ndabunka
Earning My Ears
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 29

What if you don't actually USE the concierge?

Here's my question and to some it may sound like I am from another planet but the ONLY reason my family would be in a room aligned with a concierge would be for the 1 bedroom space.

My wife HATES ANYONE to wait on her (or us by proxy) so we would not actually use them for well... anything! However, my wife was a waitress so we tend to leave larger-than-average tips to a wait staff so I would suspect that even though we would likely not even use them, she would still want to tip them something.
__________________
Disney Dream - June '13 (Bahamas)
NCL Pearl - June '12 (Alaska)
Carnival Legend - June '07 (Western Caribbean)
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 4,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom View Post
Can these be added to our onboard account or should we plan to bring extra cash?
They can be added to your onboard account.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Mama Who
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Supposedly.

I personally doubt it, because they all seemed intelligent, and it's not intelligent to take a job that is SOLELY tips when tips aren't required. Just not a good idea to take such a job.


Depends on the industry.

I worked at a casino when I was younger, in HR. Poker dealers earned $5/hr plus tips. On paydays I noticed that the dealers' paychecks just sat for weeks and weeks. Turns out they weren't getting a check- their tips (and they only declared half of what they made) were so high that the taxes on their tips were consistently higher than their paycheck. Those envelopes simply held a paystub telling them how far in the hole for taxes they were that week.

Technically they were not working "solely" for tips but they'd have been sitting pretty even if they had. It would certainly not have been unintelligent for them to do so. Those guys made serious money.
__________________
"Always behave in a fashion that treats other guests in the same manner that you would like to be treated." - Goofyernmost
Mama Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmangus View Post
I feel soo cheap I did 20 per person for the 3 of us! Eeek!
Why would you feel cheap?! Tipping the concierge is at your discretion, and you used your discretion.
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
Why would you feel cheap?! Tipping the concierge is at your discretion, and you used your discretion.
I agree with AlexandNessa. Do not worry at all about what you considered reasonable. I presume you should not need to tip for the fact that there simply is a lounge with food and a coffee maker. The concierge tip should be, I presume, for services by the concierge staff that are above and beyond what would usually be expected. Disney simply needs to get a handle on this situation as soon as possible. I talked with the concierge staff on my last cruise a couple weeks ago and told them I am going to do what I have done every cruise on the survey provided. I am going to say the concierge staff is GREAT (which they are!!!) but the tipping process in unacceptable and makes me less interested in sailing DCL in the future. Until DCL provides guidance on the tip or returns the concierge staff to salary, they are simply putting their customers in an awful position. My preference is that DCL just return them to salary, let them accept tips with the understanding that any collected tips go to a charity decided by the concierge staff. Why is that a bad idea? DCL should pay them a nice salary and be done with this situation. I would much rather have my cruise fare up a couple more hundred dollars for their salary than have to go through this process over and over again.

DWF

Last edited by disneywonderfun; 06-07-2013 at 07:26 AM.
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,810

We recently sailed in a suite on NCL (POA) and the gratuities / service charges were automatic. They were higher for suite guests to include the concierge / butler services. There was one concierge for all the suites and a few butlers divided amongst the suites. There were no envelopes, no issues. They got it right.

As suite guests we had breakfast in Cagney's every morning and a couple of dinners as well. There was one waitress who served us often and was fantastic. We had a party of 8 (4 kids) and she was wonderful with them. We gave her a generous cash tip on debarkation morning. Other than that, the staff did nothing extraordinary for us to warrant any additional tipping.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
hmangus
Mouseketeer
 
hmangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post

I agree with AlexandNessa. Do not worry at all about what you considered reasonable. I presume you should not need to tip for the fact that there simply is a lounge with food and a coffee maker. The concierge tip should be, I presume, for services by the concierge staff that are above and beyond what would usually be expected. Disney simply needs to get a handle on this situation as soon as possible. I talked with the concierge staff on my last cruise a couple weeks ago and told them I am going to do what I have done every cruise on the survey provided. I am going to say the concierge staff is GREAT (which they are!!!) but the tipping process in unacceptable and makes me less interested in sailing DCL in the future. Until DCL provides guidance on the tip or returns the concierge staff to salary, they are simply putting their customers in an awful position. My preference is that DCL just return them to salary, let them accept tips with the understanding that any collected tips go to a charity decided by the concierge staff. Why is that a bad idea? DCL should pay them a nice salary and be done with this situation. I would much rather have my cruise fare up a couple more hundred dollars for their salary than have to go through this process over and over again.

DWF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post

Why would you feel cheap?! Tipping the concierge is at your discretion, and you used your discretion.
I like others just didn't know what to tip and to hear that others tip in the 100s!! I agree with you disneywonderfun getting them back to salary and donating the tips would be awesome!
__________________


November 2002 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2006 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2012 Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas WDW
January 2012 Disney Dream (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2013 Saratoga Springs Mini Vacation
May 2013 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Castaway Cay)
November 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, San Juan & Castaway Cay)
hmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmangus View Post
I like others just didn't know what to tip and to hear that others tip in the 100s!! I agree with you disneywonderfun getting them back to salary and donating the tips would be awesome!
People who tip a lot or who think they tip a lot are more likely to report it on a public message board. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't tip at all or only tip more along the lines of what they give cabin stewards or waiters, but don't report as much because they are afraid of being shamed publicly. I can't remember a time that the concierge did more for me than my dining room waiter or cabin steward. We've never stiffed the concierge, ever. But would I ever feel guilty about not tipping in the hundreds for changing a dinner reservation and getting me tickets to a tasting? Never. If we would ever use the concierge extensively, we'd tip accordingly. But we never have. I have more the perspective that the cabin steward and waiter do more for me, so I tip them more than the concierge. But I've never felt bad about it.

Like the others, I would rather tips be included, and then if you are high maintenance, tip extra. But then, you will have folks who feel guilty for not tipping extra when they didn't ask for anything extra. Or you'll have high maintenance folks who don't tip extra for the extra attention the concierge staff provides them because they feel tips are already included. Not sure what the answer really is.
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
hmangus
Mouseketeer
 
hmangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post

People who tip a lot or who think they tip a lot are more likely to report it on a public message board. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't tip at all or only tip more along the lines of what they give cabin stewards or waiters, but don't report as much because they are afraid of being shamed publicly. I can't remember a time that the concierge did more for me than my dining room waiter or cabin steward. We've never stiffed the concierge, ever. But would I ever feel guilty about not tipping in the hundreds for changing a dinner reservation and getting me tickets to a tasting? Never. If we would ever use the concierge extensively, we'd tip accordingly. But we never have. I have more the perspective that the cabin steward and waiter do more for me, so I tip them more than the concierge. But I've never felt bad about it.

Like the others, I would rather tips be included, and then if you are high maintenance, tip extra. But then, you will have folks who feel guilty for not tipping extra when they didn't ask for anything extra. Or you'll have high maintenance folks who don't tip extra for the extra attention the concierge staff provides them because they feel tips are already included. Not sure what the answer really is.
The funny thing is that the family in the Royal suite ask me what I was tipping! Lol I was like I'm in the cat v and paid 1/3 that you did! I should have been asking him and definitely went down from there! However I think they ended up tipping like us!
__________________


November 2002 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2006 Disney Wonder (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2012 Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas WDW
January 2012 Disney Dream (Nassua & Castaway Cay)
January 2013 Saratoga Springs Mini Vacation
May 2013 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, & Castaway Cay)
November 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, San Juan & Castaway Cay)
hmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE
 
AlexandNessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmangus View Post
The funny thing is that the family in the Royal suite ask me what I was tipping! Lol I was like I'm in the cat v and paid 1/3 that you did! I should have been asking him and definitely went down from there! However I think they ended up tipping like us!
LOL, just goes to show that tipping at your discretion truly means at your discretion!
__________________
Alex Vanessa
AlexandNessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
LynseyK
Mouseketeer
 
LynseyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dallastown,PA
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post

I agree with AlexandNessa. Do not worry at all about what you considered reasonable. I presume you should not need to tip for the fact that there simply is a lounge with food and a coffee maker. The concierge tip should be, I presume, for services by the concierge staff that are above and beyond what would usually be expected. Disney simply needs to get a handle on this situation as soon as possible. I talked with the concierge staff on my last cruise a couple weeks ago and told them I am going to do what I have done every cruise on the survey provided. I am going to say the concierge staff is GREAT (which they are!!!) but the tipping process in unacceptable and makes me less interested in sailing DCL in the future. Until DCL provides guidance on the tip or returns the concierge staff to salary, they are simply putting their customers in an awful position. My preference is that DCL just return them to salary, let them accept tips with the understanding that any collected tips go to a charity decided by the concierge staff. Why is that a bad idea? DCL should pay them a nice salary and be done with this situation. I would much rather have my cruise fare up a couple more hundred dollars for their salary than have to go through this process over and over again.

DWF
I completely agree with you. I did not start this thread to make anyone feel bad or to brag about the tip I left. I actually feel kinda embarrassed now for the tip we left. The concierge staff was amazing and with two lil boys I do have to say we were kind of high maintenance and the staff never seemed bothered by us and was always happy to help. But I almost felt like you were made to feel bad bc they let you know they solely work on tips and then you start worrying what everyone else is leaving and if your leaving too little. I also agree with the fact that if we are paying all this extra money for concierge shouldn't all these services be included? Shouldn't that be their job? I think Disney made a big mistake making that job a optional gratuity. Either make it a set amount or pay them a salary. People shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable about tipping and what the concierge staff might think of them. I just had to get that out there.
LynseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
all5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
all5ofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynseyK View Post
I completely agree with you. I did not start this thread to make anyone feel bad or to brag about the tip I left. I actually feel kinda embarrassed now for the tip we left. The concierge staff was amazing and with two lil boys I do have to say we were kind of high maintenance and the staff never seemed bothered by us and was always happy to help. But I almost felt like you were made to feel bad bc they let you know they solely work on tips and then you start worrying what everyone else is leaving and if your leaving too little. I also agree with the fact that if we are paying all this extra money for concierge shouldn't all these services be included? Shouldn't that be their job? I think Disney made a big mistake making that job a optional gratuity. Either make it a set amount or pay them a salary. People shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable about tipping and what the concierge staff might think of them. I just had to get that out there.
I don't think you should be at all embarrassed for what you left if you felt they earned it. I have ten cruises in concierge and have tipped zero a couple times $600 a couple times and several points in between and feel each was appropriate for the situation.

Every concierge host has been nice enough and done what was expected but some go above and beyond and that is where additional tip is warranted. Being polite and giving out the standard gifts of arcade cards, and lithos at the end of the cruise are part of what is expected and I wouldn't tip extra if that is all I received. It is the ones go that extra mile that warrant the tip.
__________________
all5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
klass3
Mouseketeer
 
klass3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 84

Bump
__________________
klass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.