Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Wonder in Alaska - When is the earliest I can disembark?

I have an early flight (11:30) booked on disembarkation day (yes, yes, I knew I was taking a risk when I booked it - I do have a plan B if I miss this flight). Of course, ideally, I would very much prefer not to miss my flight. Does anyone who cruised to Alaska remember at what time the ship was cleared to let passengers off? Also about how long did it take to clear customs?

Thanks!

~Marise
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
I have an early flight (11:30) booked on disembarkation day (yes, yes, I knew I was taking a risk when I booked it - I do have a plan B if I miss this flight). Of course, ideally, I would very much prefer not to miss my flight. Does anyone who cruised to Alaska remember at what time the ship was cleared to let passengers off? Also about how long did it take to clear customs?

Thanks!

~Marise
We haven't used DCL for Alaska, but on our Alaska cruises we flew home from Vancouver.

Be aware, depending on how many people (read this as other ships, possibly) are trying to fly out that morning, customs/immigration can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours at Vancouver airport.

Our last cruise, we stood in line for immigration an hour and 15 minutes. That's just immigration. Customs was about another 20 minutes. And security in the airport another 1/2 hour.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
We haven't used DCL for Alaska, but on our Alaska cruises we flew home from Vancouver.

Be aware, depending on how many people (read this as other ships, possibly) are trying to fly out that morning, customs/immigration can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours at Vancouver airport.

Our last cruise, we stood in line for immigration an hour and 15 minutes. That's just immigration. Customs was about another 20 minutes. And security in the airport another 1/2 hour.
Yikes! I do have both US and Canadian passports so I guess here's to hoping that streamlines the immigration part of it...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Hi Marise!

Once again I can't wait to hear about your trip! Please post back and let us know how it works out. Our flight leaves at 12:10pm so we aren't too far behind your time. We plan on eating early like we always do and heading out right away and also taking a taxi to the airport so we don't have to potentially wait for a bus to fill up. I'd much rather sit around killing time at the airport than stressing we will miss our flight.

I hope it works out and think positive . I'd love to hear others post too.

Have an awesome time and we won't be too far behind you!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

I am curious too! Good luck and pls let us know
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
Hi Marise!

Once again I can't wait to hear about your trip! Please post back and let us know how it works out. Our flight leaves at 12:10pm so we aren't too far behind your time. We plan on eating early like we always do and heading out right away and also taking a taxi to the airport so we don't have to potentially wait for a bus to fill up. I'd much rather sit around killing time at the airport than stressing we will miss our flight.

I hope it works out and think positive . I'd love to hear others post too.

Have an awesome time and we won't be too far behind you!

Heather
Heather!

You might want to consider taking the skytrain instead of a cab. Some members of my cruise meet group who are also Vancouver locals recommended it to me because it removes the variability of travel time due to traffic between the port and airport (especially during what might be morning rush hour traffic). If you want more information on this I'd be happy to share.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
simivalleysarah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Heather!

You might want to consider taking the skytrain instead of a cab. Some members of my cruise meet group who are also Vancouver locals recommended it to me because it removes the variability of travel time due to traffic between the port and airport (especially during what might be morning rush hour traffic). If you want more information on this I'd be happy to share.
I am interested in this info please! Our flight time just moved up and we depart at 11AM - Yikes!
simivalleysarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simivalleysarah View Post
I am interested in this info please! Our flight time just moved up and we depart at 11AM - Yikes!
Eak!
Happy to share. Most of it is actually a link to someone else's info though. Lol. Specifically:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...rfrontStation#

The pictures in the link basically show how to get to the train, how much room for luggage there is and what the station looks like. It's essentially step by step instructions . The basic recap is that you get on the Canada Line at Waterfront Station which is about two blocks away from the port. You have to make sure to get on the train that goes to YVR as the Canada Line trains leaving Waterfront alternate between YVR and Richmond/Bridgeport. The ride is about 20min long and there's usually a train once every 3 to 6 min at or near peak times. The ticket prices are based on how many 'zone boundires' you cross. To get from waterfront to the airport, you'll only cross one zone ($2.75/ticket) and the machines you buy the tickets from do take credit cards (so you don't need to get a hold of Canadian money if you're from the US).

If you plan on taking the train both ways (as is the case for me) and if there are several people traveling in your group, then it might be more econimical to buy faresaver tickets. To take the train from the airport there's a $5 addfare per ticket. If you buy the faresaver tickets, you're getting a pack of 10 tickets instead and you don't have to pay the extra $5 addfare. To get these faresaver tickets at the airport you have to go to the domestic arrivals terminal. These tickets are sold at either the 7eleven or the Pharmasave. The pack of 10 for one zone is $21. Also, once you scan a ticket (single zone or faresaver), it is valid for 90 minutes, meaning that you can hop on and off the train as many times as you like for that duration.

Well I think that's everything. Probably more then you wanted to know actually

Let me know if you have any questions. I get back on June 3rd, so feel free to remind me when I get back and I'd be happy to share how this brilliant plan of mine actually works out. Good luck making your flight!!!

Last edited by chiburple; 05-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.
chiburple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
fish4bills
Mouseketeer

I am worried too as our flight is 11:45. Does anyone know what time you are cleared to leave ship?
fish4bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4bills View Post
I am worried too as our flight is 11:45. Does anyone know what time you are cleared to leave ship?
In port canaveral it's usually around 7:30 or after that. However, I don't know what it is for Vancouver. I do recommend carrying your bags off rather then giving them to the staff on the last night.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
fish4bills
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In port canaveral it's usually around 7:30 or after that. However, I don't know what it is for Vancouver. I do recommend carrying your bags off rather then giving them to the staff on the last night.
Thank you! We have decided to carry our bags off to hopefully save some time.
fish4bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It is later than that in Vancouver. The ship arrives in PC before 6 a.m. In Vancouver the Wonder pulled into the dock a little after 7 a.m. The day we got off the ship the last picture I took of DD and her friends at the entrance to the terminal was 9:21 a.m. We were sitting in the lounge in a picture at 8:30 waiting for our tag to be called. They cleared the ship a little before then. If you keep all your luggage with you, you can get off the ship first so should be off a little after 8:00 or so.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

My shuttle for Seattle leaves at 0900.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #14
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Eak!
Happy to share. Most of it is actually a link to someone else's info though. Lol. Specifically:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouve...rfrontStation#

The pictures in the link basically show how to get to the train, how much room for luggage there is and what the station looks like. It's essentially step by step instructions . The basic recap is that you get on the Canada Line at Waterfront Station which is about two blocks away from the port. You have to make sure to get on the train that goes to YVR as the Canada Line trains leaving Waterfront alternate between YVR and Richmond/Bridgeport. The ride is about 20min long and there's usually a train once every 3 to 6 min at or near peak times. The ticket prices are based on how many 'zone boundires' you cross. To get from waterfront to the airport, you'll only cross one zone ($2.75/ticket) and the machines you buy the tickets from do take credit cards (so you don't need to get a hold of Canadian money if you're from the US).

If you plan on taking the train both ways (as is the case for me) and if there are several people traveling in your group, then it might be more econimical to buy faresaver tickets. To take the train from the airport there's a $5 addfare per ticket. If you buy the faresaver tickets, you're getting a pack of 10 tickets instead and you don't have to pay the extra $5 addfare. To get these faresaver tickets at the airport you have to go to the domestic arrivals terminal. These tickets are sold at either the 7eleven or the Pharmasave. The pack of 10 for one zone is $21. Also, once you scan a ticket (single zone or faresaver), it is valid for 90 minutes, meaning that you can hop on and off the train as many times as you like for that duration.

Well I think that's everything. Probably more then you wanted to know actually

Let me know if you have any questions. I get back on June 3rd, so feel free to remind me when I get back and I'd be happy to share how this brilliant plan of mine actually works out. Good luck making your flight!!!
We are planning on taking the skytrain both ways so thank you so much for this, it is really helpful.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
It is later than that in Vancouver. The ship arrives in PC before 6 a.m. In Vancouver the Wonder pulled into the dock a little after 7 a.m. The day we got off the ship the last picture I took of DD and her friends at the entrance to the terminal was 9:21 a.m. We were sitting in the lounge in a picture at 8:30 waiting for our tag to be called. They cleared the ship a little before then. If you keep all your luggage with you, you can get off the ship first so should be off a little after 8:00 or so.
Thank you! I feel much better knowing what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
We are planning on taking the skytrain both ways so thank you so much for this, it is really helpful.
You're welcome. Glad I could help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: