Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
I did a three-way split stay two years ago - it was a 10 day trip; 5 nights at the Dolphin, 2 nights at Royal Pacific Resort, 2 nights at the Wilderness Lodge. I swore I'd never do it again. Having to repack and move twice was more of a big deal than I'd expected, and I thought I was super-organized about the whole thing, but I still ended up misplacing our Universal tickets, and had a few hours of panic over that. Just too stressful for me. I will do a split stay again- in fact this summer, 7 nights at Beach Club, 2 at Royal Pacific, but not a three-way. It was also too disruptive for the kids.
I am so with you on this! Even harder, when you're staying DVC, is that you have to pack up your kitchen as well!

We have a 9-night trip coming up. We'll stay at 2 DVC resorts. The first three nights will just be the two of us in a studio. The final 7 nights will be with my sister and her husband in a 2-bedroom unit. I won't be buying any groceries until we start that 7-night stay because I have no intentions of packing up groceries to move to another resort.

OP, I would keep the AKV reservation, but I would try to waitlist those nights for VWL so that you only need to move once. If your waitlist comes through, there will be plenty of opportunities to sample AKV on another visit when you will have more time to enjoy the resort itself.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
jjl181
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
I did a three-way split stay two years ago - it was a 10 day trip; 5 nights at the Dolphin, 2 nights at Royal Pacific Resort, 2 nights at the Wilderness Lodge. I swore I'd never do it again. Having to repack and move twice was more of a big deal than I'd expected, and I thought I was super-organized about the whole thing, but I still ended up misplacing our Universal tickets, and had a few hours of panic over that. Just too stressful for me. I will do a split stay again- in fact this summer, 7 nights at Beach Club, 2 at Royal Pacific, but not a three-way. It was also too disruptive for the kids.
That's what I was worried about. I am super type-A and would pack per resort and try to keep everything organized, but afraid I will be 10x more stressed with an extra move.
I waitlisted for VWL, hope it comes through. If not, I will make it work, but nervous about the stress and anxiety it will cause.

2006, 2009 - All Star Sports
2009 - Pop Century
2010, 2011, 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - BCV/VWL/BLT
2014 - PPH - 1st trip to DLR!
jjl181 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
mommyarewegoingback
DIS Veteran

Too Funny. I just came back from a 3 hotel split stay. Originally it was two, but we added two days last minute because of the "monstrous all-nighter". We did one night at POP, 5 nights at Kidani and 4 nights at BWV. I actually had one carry on luggage with toiletries and 1 night clothes, them another carry on with 4 nights of clothes and one main luggage for everything else. I did bring a duffle bag to move our "kitchen" stuff between Kidani and BWV. I just had the Bell Hop move the luggage. I would have to say the hardest part was the "waiting" for the room when it wasn't ready yet. We just hung out at Community Hall or went to Epcot. I did handle the packing and "moving" so that the family and DH would not get upset by it. If this is one of your first times at WDW, I probably would not recommend it if you are a commando style tourer, but I would if you are not, and enjoy hanging out at the resort then go for it!

-Virginia
WDW 4/97, 4/99, 5/00, 10/02, 2/03, 5/03, 10/03, 12/04, 1/05, 4/05, 7/05, 10/05, 5/06, 7/06, 11/06, 4/07, 11/07, 12/08, 7/09, 11/09 (& DCL Magic), 5/10, 8/10, 12/10, 5/11 (& DCL Dream), 12/11, 5/12, 8/12, 11/12, 4/13, 5/13, 11/13, 4/14, 5/14, 12/14

mommyarewegoingback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

I think if you pack an overnight bag for your first 2 nights of clothes and toiletries... you'd be fine

Over 12 nights, it seems like a fun plan!
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We like to unpack and "take care of business" like checking in/out at the beginning/end of our trips. Therefore, we would only consider split stays for 5 nights or longer. Just our own preference.

How much would you save on airfare to leave two days earlier? I am assuming it's substantial to add two room nights plus food? If it were only one day earlier, I'd suggest just staying at an airport hotel like the Hyatt, and then taking ME to your first resort.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Willows909
Mouseketeer

So...Saratoga Springs or FW lodge are available. Which one shall I go for? I don't know much about either one, but basically looking to sit by a pool and have a relaxing 3 days, no parks involved.
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #22
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows909 View Post
So...Saratoga Springs or FW lodge are available. Which one shall I go for? I don't know much about either one, but basically looking to sit by a pool and have a relaxing 3 days, no parks involved.
SSR is nice for a no parks trip since you have DTD so close. I think I would go crazy at the Wilderness Lodge and no parks,since MK is right there.

By the way, it's not Fort Wilderness Lodge, just Wilderness Lodge. Fort Wilderness refers to the campgrounds.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyarewegoingback View Post
... I would have to say the hardest part was the "waiting" for the room when it wasn't ready yet. We just hung out at Community Hall or went to Epcot. I did handle the packing and "moving" so that the family and DH would not get upset by it. If this is one of your first times at WDW, I probably would not recommend it if you are a commando style tourer, but I would if you are not, and enjoy hanging out at the resort then go for it!

-Virginia
excellent advice
johnsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

You will be fine. I've done two moves on a few long trips. Just pack smart on the two day stay and only open 1-2 suitcases not all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

What we do is we take 4 outfits per person and our split stays are usually a maximum of 4 nights. I wash every day and as things are cleaned I repack them instead of putting them away. We pack the kitchen into our owners locker and take an insulated back and freezer packs for our perishables although I try and manage it so we are not moving perishables there are always a few things. We pack the night before, call bell services in the morning and just get on with our day until about 3pm when we can usually get I to our new room.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Willows909
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
SSR is nice for a no parks trip since you have DTD so close. I think I would go crazy at the Wilderness Lodge and no parks,since MK is right there.

By the way, it's not Fort Wilderness Lodge, just Wilderness Lodge. Fort Wilderness refers to the campgrounds.
Thankyou....I'm thinking of going with that...it looks great.
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: