Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

The only time I've had this happen was at YC last year. I thought it was something new they were trying maybe! Of course, I was only one of two people checking in from the DME arrival so they had a 50-50 chance of being right

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
gr8leg8
the big 3
Not sure I would have seen, if I wasn't looking for tags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
We have a new principal at our school this year and when they kids came to open house.....he was addressing the majority of kids 1-5 grade by name. He was hanging out in kindergarten, greeting these kids and parents and taking pictures of him with each kindergartener. When we dropped off the kids a couple days later, he greeted them by name as well!!! We later learned he had studied the year book from the previous year till he knew those kids names, and then studied his kindergarten kids pictures and his notes till he knew them. Made a HUGE impression on kids and parents.

A great principal is worth their weight in gold!!
My DD is just about to graduate from 5th. We've been at the same school since Kinder. Her principal still doesn't know her name. She even calls teachers by the wrong name.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #33
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

we were greeted by name at the Contemporary on our last trip. i just assumed the guard called ahead. it was nice though. i consider it a "perk" for a deluxe.

i think it would be harder to do at a Value (which we've never been greeted by name) because they are usually more people checking into those resorts. i don't anticipated being greeted at AofA in October.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

I dislike it when I don't know the person who is calling me by name.

Car salesmen.
Retail store clerks.

For awhile, Walmart was having their checkers call customers by name when
they used their charge cards.
The practice was largely stopped when so many customers complained about it.

This new Disney FP+/MyMagic+ has an element of "magically" calling guests by name...
We'll have to watch and see if it becomes a HIT, or a MISS.
I would guess that most people like being called by name when it's by someone who knows them, e.g. a waiter at a favorite restaurant or a clerk at a bookstore that you frequent.

But most people don't like it when it's obvious that it's some corporate ploy to create artificial congeniality, e.g. reading your name off of a credit card or scanning your RFID-enabled bracelet.

Suum cuique.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Since this thread is about an experience that occurred at a Disney Resort, I've moved it to the Disney Resorts board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
we were greeted by name at the Contemporary on our last trip. i just assumed the guard called ahead. it was nice though. i consider it a "perk" for a deluxe.

i think it would be harder to do at a Value (which we've never been greeted by name) because they are usually more people checking into those resorts. i don't anticipated being greeted at AofA in October.
LOL Nope no official greeter but there were cast members at the front door.
Check in at AoA even with doing online check in was quite different from the deluxe!
LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: