Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
robandkelly13
DIS Veteran

Magic room 7634

We've never sailed on the Magic before. We booked room 7634 for March 2014. I just read a review which states that there are two twin beds pushed together. This sounds odd to me; why would there be two twins rather than a single mattress? The room description reads a queen or two twins for category 6a, but since there are several handicap rooms in this category, I thought the twins beds may be to accommodate special needs. However, 7624 is not a handicap room. Has anyone stayed in this room? Is it 2 twins pushed together? Did that bother you? Is this something that will be changed during the refurbishing?

Other than the Aqua Dunk, what else is a part of the refurbishing?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Cruisefan2
DIS Veteran

The changing of Parrot Cay to Carioca's. changing of topsiders Buffett to Cabanas. Revamping of the main lobby and changing of the Mickey pool to a aqua lab. Also the old Mickey slide is being replaced with a better slide. Just an over all revamping of the ship to.

4 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream 2/17/13
7 night Medderiteranian Cruise on the Magic 7/30/11
7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2/11/06
Cruisefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandkelly13 View Post
We've never sailed on the Magic before. We booked room 7634 for March 2014. I just read a review which states that there are two twin beds pushed together. This sounds odd to me; why would there be two twins rather than a single mattress? The room description reads a queen or two twins for category 6a, but since there are several handicap rooms in this category, I thought the twins beds may be to accommodate special needs. However, 7624 is not a handicap room. Has anyone stayed in this room? Is it 2 twins pushed together? Did that bother you? Is this something that will be changed during the refurbishing?

Other than the Aqua Dunk, what else is a part of the refurbishing?

Thanks!
Like most cruiselines the Magic and Wonder have a queen bed in each room that is actually made from 2 twins pushed together. The configuration can be changed, depending on what you want.

When the Dream & Fantasy were built the queen bed in the room is just that -a queen bed. It doesn't split, limiting those who don't want to share a bed to sleeping on the sofa or pull down beds in the rooms.

After her dry dock in Oct this year, the Magic will also have queen-only beds. The Wonder will be the only ship in the DCL fleet with the queen/twin option (probably until her dry dock in 2014).

The buffet will be reconfigured along the lines of Cabanas on the Dream class ships. And Parrot Cay will become Cariocas.

There are changes to the kids club (sorry don't know specifics, don't have kids).

The adult lounges will be getting new décor and names.

The atrium will be losing one of the staircases as well as the Chihuly chandelier.

Here's a thread with lots of info about the changes:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....=magic+changes

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Funny that you just booked that room - we did as well today but only temp before we switch to the preferred one below it. The kids club has newer theming, and DD is excited because there is a small slide in Andy's room. Don't know if it was mentioned but the Mickey slide is now longer and has more turns. She's excited about that, too, but doesn't know we're going!

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

The other big news with the beds is they are being raised for luggage storage like D & F.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2disneycruzrs View Post
The other big news with the beds is they are being raised for luggage storage like D & F.
We never had a problem with luggage storage under the beds on the classics.

I still think it's not a good idea having only the queen bed configuration. It's bad enough that friends who wish to cruise together have to make a choice between sharing a room with one (or more) of them having to use the sofa bed and one getting the "real" bed or paying the 200% single supplement for each of them to have their own room with their own bed.

And I don't like the fact that they are making all the ships have the same look and feel with all the same (or close) venues and activities. What's wrong with making each ship a little unique?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
robandkelly13
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info. We have cruised on the Dream and Fantasy and are excited to check out the Magic. We've had lots of people tell us they prefer the classic ships
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We love the classic ships!!

The two twin beds that push together is pretty standard for the cruise industry. I am not sure of any others that do the one piece bed like the Dream and Fantasy in their standard cabins.

7634 also has a slightly larger balcony, although it is a white steel wall verandah. This room also does not have the upright steamer trunk so closet and drawer space will be a little less than in other rooms. We love being in a room at the stern of the ship. We have this room booked for the last Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan next year, and we just stayed in 7630 on the Wonder for the WBPC cruise in May.

Last edited by cwdefouw; 06-04-2013 at 07:42 AM.
cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: