Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

A different b2b question. What if...

...on the port day between the 2 legs of a b2b you decided you wanted to get off the ship and leave the port to go do something? Here's the scenerio:

I'm booked on the 9/8 Dream w/a group of friends. It's highly likely I'll drive myself to PC. Hubby is thinking about coming to PC to hop on the Dream at the conclusion of the first Dream run for me then the 2 of us do the next 2 sailings together to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Between the 9/12 & 9/15 Dream sailings when we'd be turning around our together b2b, what if we wanted to get off the ship and maybe go to Kennedy Space Center or something? We'd essentially be treating the day as a "port" day. Would we debark with the leaving passengers in the morning then re-check-in as if we were newly boarding later that day? Would we do the b2b turnaround w/the other b2b cruisers but just not reboard with them? Not sure how that'd work. I know it's kinda a crazy convoluted thing to even think of. LOL!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
...on the port day between the 2 legs of a b2b you decided you wanted to get off the ship and leave the port to go do something? Here's the scenerio:

I'm booked on the 9/8 Dream w/a group of friends. It's highly likely I'll drive myself to PC. Hubby is thinking about coming to PC to hop on the Dream at the conclusion of the first Dream run for me then the 2 of us do the next 2 sailings together to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Between the 9/12 & 9/15 Dream sailings when we'd be turning around our together b2b, what if we wanted to get off the ship and maybe go to Kennedy Space Center or something? We'd essentially be treating the day as a "port" day. Would we debark with the leaving passengers in the morning then re-check-in as if we were newly boarding later that day? Would we do the b2b turnaround w/the other b2b cruisers but just not reboard with them? Not sure how that'd work. I know it's kinda a crazy convoluted thing to even think of. LOL!
If you leave the terminal, you must re-checkin and reboard with the "new" guests. As to specifically whether you must leave in the earlier (departing guests) group, or can wait until the B2B group leaves, I don't know.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

interesting question. my son asked me this on the weekend as we are doing a b2b. I had never thought of it but I told him I didn't see why we couldn't, it would be the same as getting off, going home and then coming back for a new cruise. for sure you would be treated as a new guest and not a returning guest but if you were going some where it wouldn't matter because you probably would not get back to the port till the afternoon. as long as your there before they close off the terminal you would be fine (imo).
having said all this to him I also told him it is not something I was interested in doing as I like the quiet time I will get on board between the cruises.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You actually can leave the terminal after checking in and in fact boarding the ship. You have to go through security again, but you do not need to check in. You just go to the ears [in the case of PC] and have them scan your KTTW card to show that you are going back onboard. So you could get off the ship with the other B2B cruisers, reboard if you choose, then get off the ship and leave the terminal and reenter the terminal with your DH. He would need to check in, but you would already have your KTTW card. He would board according to his number, but you could board with him since you are already cleared to be onboard.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Kitster
Crazy about Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post

Going to KSC requires more time than you would have available to you after docking.

1) Assuming you get off the ship ASAP and get thru Customs quickly, you would have to allow at least 30 minutes drive time each way, between the port and KSC ... scratch +/- 1 hour. KSC is open from 9:00 am to at least 5:00 pm daily.
2) You MUST be back aboard by the 3:45 safety drill, so you would have to leave KSC no later than 2:30 pm. Then you would have to go thru the normal check-in procedure at the port.
3) Bus tours don't start running until 10 am and just the basic tour takes 2 - 2½ hours to complete; any of the Special tours will take 3 - 3½ hours minimum. Even if you only choose to walk around, you STILL won't have time to see everything. The IMAX Hubble Experience is a must see; the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit will be open by the time you are sailing, and trust me, you will be in awe if they allow for close-up viewing.

Of course this is just my opinion, but as someone who grew up in Central FL during the shuttle heyday, I personally plan to allow a full day to enjoy KSC for the 5th or 6th time. There's just too much to see and do to limit your visit to just a few hours. Kennedy Space Center is a full day adventure. To put things in a Disney perspective ... Would you consider visiting the Magic Kingdom for the 1st time knowing you only had 4 hours to spend there?

Disney Wonder: 11/2002; 11/2004; 11/2005; 9/2006; 9/2009
Disney Magic: 12/2010 (B2B Christmas cruise)
Celebrity Millenium (Alaska): 6/2011
Disney Fantasy MV: 3/2012
Disney Dream: 10/2013 B2B
NCL Pride of America 7 night Hawaiian cruise then Disney's Aulani: 1/31 - 2/16/2015 (BD celebration)
Kitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitster View Post
Going to KSC requires more time than you would have available to you after docking.

1) Assuming you get off the ship ASAP and get thru Customs quickly, you would have to allow at least 30 minutes drive time each way, between the port and KSC ... scratch +/- 1 hour. KSC is open from 9:00 am to at least 5:00 pm daily.
2) You MUST be back aboard by the 3:45 safety drill, so you would have to leave KSC no later than 2:30 pm. Then you would have to go thru the normal check-in procedure at the port.
3) Bus tours don't start running until 10 am and just the basic tour takes 2 - 2½ hours to complete; any of the Special tours will take 3 - 3½ hours minimum. Even if you only choose to walk around, you STILL won't have time to see everything. The IMAX Hubble Experience is a must see; the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit will be open by the time you are sailing, and trust me, you will be in awe if they allow for close-up viewing.

Of course this is just my opinion, but as someone who grew up in Central FL during the shuttle heyday, I personally plan to allow a full day to enjoy KSC for the 5th or 6th time. There's just too much to see and do to limit your visit to just a few hours. Kennedy Space Center is a full day adventure. To put things in a Disney perspective ... Would you consider visiting the Magic Kingdom for the 1st time knowing you only had 4 hours to spend there?
I think you just cinched it for me.

I, too, grew up in Central FL. (1981-1990) I watched many a launch from outside classrooms or my back yard including the ill-fated Challenger launch. We currently live in the Houston area and love the space center here. Would love to do KSC. We've been on the fence whether to do a b2b on the Dream after I finish my 9/8 cruise with friends or kill a couple days in the area then do the 9/14 Fantasy. KSC for a full day plus the Fantasy is mighty appealing...much moreso than a b2b on the Dream.

Personally, I wouldn't go to MK for 4 hours or a whole day first time or 500th time. I've been kinda "over" the herds for a while now. Just can't seem to enjoy the parks the way we used to with them always so busy nowadays.

Thanks for the perspective and further food for thought!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: