Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
sjb95u
sjb95u

Rocking Chairs on board? Prechooler naps...

What I'm trying to find out is how to get my (almost 4-year-old at that point) to nap on board and not become overtired? Currently, she's 3.5 yrs of age and doesn't nap every day but when she doesn't she becomes cranky by bedtime, which comes early on non-nap days (7:30pm).

Currently if I want her to nap I need to rock her a while (which is not the norm) in a very dark, quiet room. Does DCL have rocking chairs available for your room?

What do others with 3-4 year olds do to encourage napping, avoid over-tiring and exhaustion?

Thanks!
sjb95u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran

At that age on the ship I could put them on the bed with pretty much anything to just look at (a board book, a doll, or whatever), and they were asleep in minutes. They were doing so much more than what they would normally be doing at home, with a lot of it being in the sun. They were TIRED! Tired to the point that they couldn't/wouldn't fight it.

This year, at ages 10 & 8, was the first time that one of them didn't nap at all during the week. Normally they would curl up after having a bath (from swimming, being in port, Castaway Cay, etc.) and just zonk out, lol!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

My son is 5 and when he is over tired and have g a hard time sleeping we turn out the light and rub his back
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

We would turn on tv and unwind with a show for about 15 minutes, then a quick back rub and she was out for hours. ( then 3). Hoping for a repeat performance in November ( will be 5)
njdisneylovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I don't think so. The only rocking chairs I remember are on deck 4 on the classics midship. Onboard we took DD3 to the movies to get her to relax and at least calm down for a bit. DH took her to see POC thinking that she would fall asleep. NOPE! She kept saying WOW and COOL through the movie. LOL! She was in a better mood after that break though. We found that the regular schedule we had for the kids, who were 3 & 5 at the time and still napped every day at home, went out the window. There is just too much to see and do onboard. The first day you won't get a nap in so don't even stress trying. The lifeboat drill is at 4 and you don't want to be in the room with your DD when the alarms go off -- especially if she is sleeping. The kids sometimes passed out when we went back to the room to get ready for early dinner. We just put got them dressed, put them in a stroller and went to dinner. They stayed at the end of the table until they woke up an hour or so later, then our server brought their food out and they were good to go until around 10 pm. [NOT their normal bedtime.]

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I don't think so. The only rocking chairs I remember are on deck 4 on the classics midship. Onboard we took DD3 to the movies to get her to relax and at least calm down for a bit. DH took her to see POC thinking that she would fall asleep. NOPE! She kept saying WOW and COOL through the movie. LOL! She was in a better mood after that break though. We found that the regular schedule we had for the kids, who were 3 & 5 at the time and still napped every day at home, went out the window. There is just too much to see and do onboard. The first day you won't get a nap in so don't even stress trying. The lifeboat drill is at 4 and you don't want to be in the room with your DD when the alarms go off -- especially if she is sleeping. The kids sometimes passed out when we went back to the room to get ready for early dinner. We just put got them dressed, put them in a stroller and went to dinner. They stayed at the end of the table until they woke up an hour or so later, then our server brought their food out and they were good to go until around 10 pm. [NOT their normal bedtime.]
Oh, wow, when was that? I would have loved a rocking chair onboard. I don't recall seeing any on any of our cruises on the Magic or Wonder.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If you think about it, the whole ship is one big rocking chair. It's why so many people can sleep SO well onboard, because we're finally being rocked to sleep again.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Momtotwogirls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb95u View Post
What I'm trying to find out is how to get my (almost 4-year-old at that point) to nap on board and not become overtired? Currently, she's 3.5 yrs of age and doesn't nap every day but when she doesn't she becomes cranky by bedtime, which comes early on non-nap days (7:30pm).

Currently if I want her to nap I need to rock her a while (which is not the norm) in a very dark, quiet room. Does DCL have rocking chairs available for your room?

What do others with 3-4 year olds do to encourage napping, avoid over-tiring and exhaustion?

Thanks!
I have not seen any rocking chairs in the rooms. They do have gliders in the nursery, but I don't believe they will let you borrow one for the cabin. There really is not any room in the cabin for a rocking chair or glider.

I used to rock my younger daughter when she started fighting her naps, but still needed one because she became unbearable at 4 if she did not get her nap in. If we were away, I would find any chair, turn the lights out and just rock her with my body as if I was in a rocking chair. It worked and she would get the rest she needed and we would be able to have a great evening without any melt downs. You could do this on the couch in the room.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
calismic
Mouseketeer

My nearly 3 year old takes an hour to get down for a nap at home. On the cruise she passed out cold in 5 minutes. My husband and I actually wanted a nap and we were gonna leave her with gramma, but instead she climbed in bed with us and was OUT! I was shocked, I've never had such luck before, lol. I think its all the excitement, they just crash when theres finally downtime.

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
j2k2guth
Earning My Ears

We were on the Dream in March with my DD 3.5. She did not take a nap the first day because of all the excitement. The 2nd day we were by the pool and she was getting tired. We just made her a little bed in a lounge wrapped her in towel and told her to rest so she can go back in the pool. She was out in a few minutes. She is an every other day napper at home. Another day she took a nap in the room. Just be flexible and go with what works.
j2k2guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer

I've been wondering similar things, my daughter will be 21 months when we cruise in Sept and right now she naps at 12:30 every single day. We never meant for her to be on such a strict schedule but it just happened without trying. I was going to try to book the nursery for this time and let her nap there. Anybody tried that? I'm wondering if they'll hate me for using the nursery for nap time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
wl1117
Mouseketeer

OP- I've never heard of them providing a rocking chair, not do I remember seeing one on any of the 3 ships we've been on (Wonder, Magic or Fantasy). However, as previous posters have said, you'll probably be surprised how easily and quickly your little one will nap. My (then) 4 year old napped every day for hours last cruise and she'd dropped her nap completely the year before. Then she'd be falling asleep at dinner every night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
I've been wondering similar things, my daughter will be 21 months when we cruise in Sept and right now she naps at 12:30 every single day. We never meant for her to be on such a strict schedule but it just happened without trying. I was going to try to book the nursery for this time and let her nap there. Anybody tried that? I'm wondering if they'll hate me for using the nursery for nap time.

Heck no! They won't hate you! They'll probably bless you because yours will be one little one they won't have to do much for besides watch her sleep. It'd be a great time for you to get some adult pool time.

Our (then) 10 month old napped away almost every time she went to the nursery on our last cruise. She'll be 23 months on our next cruise, so we'll see.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
sjb95u
sjb95u

Ok, thanks for all the info. Perhaps she WILL be so tired she'll just nap away...even with early seating I'm worried she won't make it through the shows without a little rest time. And I may need some, too!
sjb95u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
jel0511
DIS Veteran

When my kids were that age, I required "quiet time". They had to lay down and remain quiet in the darkened cabin/room for a couple of hours. They usually fell asleep, if they didn't this usually was enough to recharge them.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae

This didn't work for us but it may for your daughter. There were too many exciting thungs going on in the area outside the "napping" room for our DD to relax and fall asleep. The layout may be different on your boat but you walk through the play area to get to the nap area. Our DD had already associated it with fun fun fun. Which isn't a bad thing bc she loved it there.

ETA- we had no issues getting her to relax and fall asleep in our cabin. I'd then head out on the balcony with a book while DH and DD napped.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nap, preschool, rocking chair, tired

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: