Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
indyshelley
Earning My Ears

To buy or not to buy the Safe Sea (or is it Sea Safe)???

OK...i'm leaving in 2WEEKS!!!!!AHHHHHH for our first cruise ever. Now, I have been all over the Caribbean (just not via a cruise) and have never ever heard the need for this product, but have gotten wind of the sea lice (does not sound fun) present at CC. We are dying to spend the day in the water there and snorkel like crazy people. I need to order the sea safe pronto if we are going to take it with, but is it really necessary? I would prefer to just order it and use it. My husband said anyone could sell me anything and this is the dumbest thing he's ever heard. HELP!!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyshelley View Post
OK...i'm leaving in 2WEEKS!!!!!AHHHHHH for our first cruise ever. Now, I have been all over the Caribbean (just not via a cruise) and have never ever heard the need for this product, but have gotten wind of the sea lice (does not sound fun) present at CC. We are dying to spend the day in the water there and snorkel like crazy people. I need to order the sea safe pronto if we are going to take it with, but is it really necessary? I would prefer to just order it and use it. My husband said anyone could sell me anything and this is the dumbest thing he's ever heard. HELP!!
I've been on these boards a long time and have been to CC three times. I have never heard anyone complain about sea lice. But if it makes you feel better, buy it. If nothing else it's sunscreen.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
indyshelley
Earning My Ears

Awesome! That's what I needed to hear. Thank you so much!!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My husband said anyone could sell me anything and this is the dumbest thing he's ever heard.
That's too bad.

Sea lice are "baby" jellyfish. They are out at certain times of the year. If you're there at the time they are, and if you are in a portion of the water where they are at the same time, you could end up getting stung by them. And then you might need or want the product.

I've read that since they are tiny, you can get stung under the bathing suit, so you'll need to put it on everywhere, to be sure you're covered. I think I read that if you do get stung, to push your suit TO your skin, because that helps in some way that is totally counterintuitive (normally you would want to pull it away to let them out, right?).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

I bought it, then left it on the ship. Never needed it !
Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
n8nally
DIS Veteran

My plan is to buy it, but ask the cast members if they have seen or heard that the baby jellyfish are out when we go.
If so, I feel like they would be the ones to know. Especially lifegaurd type CMs.
If I feel a need, we'll use it.
If not, I will return the $13 bottle upon arrival back home

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
MasonsG
Earning My Ears

I have not yet been to Castaway Cay but I have been in a swarm of sea lice. Had never encountered them before so it was startling, some of the others had much worse reactions, mostly it is alarming if you have no idea what is going on. I thought they felt more like teeny tiny electrical pulses- slightly painful. I will get some Sea Safe and never snorkel without having it available if there is a chance they are about. One thing we did learn, ours were passing through a channel, so rather than proceeding along with them, we swam sideways towards land- I don't believe they swim towards land so if that is an option- it is hard to tell as ours were so small we could not actually see them or which way they were headed. But locals told us to cross the space quickly rather than stay amongst them even longer. Maybe someone else will have more experience to share as to their encounters in Castaway. btw, we didn't have to put anything on our stings afterwards, the discomfort went away pretty quick. It would not keep me from snorkeling.
MasonsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #8
Drew Sailbum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
...My husband said anyone could sell me anything and this is the dumbest thing he's ever heard. HELP!!
Sea lice have a way of working their way inside your swimsuit and stinging you in places you would really rather not be stung.

I can tell your husband has not been stung by these thimble jellyfish yet. If he had then he would think this Safe Sea stuff is absolutely amazing stuff.

If he keeps going to the Caribbean during thimble jelly season he will eventually be stung and find out how sensitive he is. As with any allergic reaction, it can be MUCH worse the second time around.
Drew Sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Sailbum View Post

Sea lice have a way of working their way inside your swimsuit and stinging you in places you would really rather not be stung.

I can tell your husband has not been stung by these thimble jellyfish yet. If he had then he would think this Safe Sea stuff is absolutely amazing stuff.

If he keeps going to the Caribbean during thimble jelly season he will eventually be stung and find out how sensitive he is. As with any allergic reaction, it can be MUCH worse the second time around.
Ok, so what is "thimble jelly season"?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
owensamo
DIS Veteran

We've been to CC 9 times, and never had any problems in the water. We've been in January, April, May, June, and December and never needed Sea Safe. We're cruising in July this year and we weren't planning on getting any.

Does anyone know if they sell it in the ship on CC?
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
dandjfla
DCL addict!

The sea lice season runs from April-August in the Bahamas.

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

10/24/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

All cruises I have been on have been in late April.

I didn't have an experience with them but other people mentioned it on some of our cruises. I have heard that the product works, but I have no idea. I always stayed in the water all day both in Nassau and CC and didn't notice them at all.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

Last week of May/first of June trip, my family were all stung by the sea lice. They made us really itchy. It was uncomfortable enough to make us want to get out of the water. We were in the area by the slides. After the cruise, I read that the slide area is where they are worse. This was our 5th DCL cruise, but the first time we were affected by the Sea Lice.

We did a DCL cruise this past April and we used the sea safe and had no problems.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

I would buy it just in case. We have never had an issue in the beach areas, but some folks seem to have had experiences at Pelican's Plunge. We have not been to that area since it opened, so we don't know and bought just to be on the safe side for our upcoming cruise because we plan on going this time.

I am really surprised at the person who said they have never heard anyone complain about Sea lice because on the boards people have shared their experiences about how they were stung. I bought to be safe, Better safe than sorry. I don't want to be itching the rest of the evening.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: