Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #61
disneybound08
Mouseketeer

Have a magical trip! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #62
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Have a great trip! My DSis, BIL and Niece are there right now
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #63
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Yay for your trip happening at this exact moment! I haven't been keeping up to date with Twitter because of the whole "last-week-of-school" crunch, but I've been checking Instagram. I love live updates!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #64
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

I'm back!

Hey everybody! We just returned from Disney this evening. Even as we were unpacking the car, I was just like, "Can we please put it all back in and drive back to Florida??!? PUH-lease???"

lol, but we had a super fun time - soaked in the atmosphere at our favorite resorts, had some super fun character interactions (GASTON), ate many, many cupcakes ...the NEW Main Street Bakery Starbucks edition opened WHILE WE WERE THERE. Just to let you know, there ARE cupcakes. But there are not cinnamon rolls. And the seating is all gone. My vlog/video tour is up on youtube, but for more you'll have to wait.

We ooohed and aaahed at the new My Magic Plus stuff that was starting to roll out - like the fancy new touch turnstiles, and we spotted the new "Magic Band" testing going on at Animal Kingdom Lodge!

I took approximately a zillion photos and did a bunch of vlogs and tweets. If you've been following along with those, I actually have a few more videos that the strawberry was not being cooperative about, so those should be up soon! I haven't even started uploading my camera memory cards yet, but I'll get that started tomorrow and hopefully will have the first official trip report update very soon!
AGPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #65
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Welcome back!

I've been enjoying your vlog but I'm still not caught up. Maybe I can finish up before you start your first installment!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #66
RachelNinja

Yay for having some Disney magic in my near future despite the fact that I got home at 3am this morning!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #67
Miss Potts
Mouseketeer

Welcome back!!! Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Read my PTR:
The Adventures of Miss Potts - PTR Fall 2013

1987 Hilton / 1989 FW / 1991 CBR / 1993 BC / 1995 WL / 1997 Poly / 1998 BWI / 2001 BC / 2005 Poly CL / May 2005 WL CL / Dec 2005 WL CL / August 2006 WL / Jan 2007 Poly CL/Contemporary CL / 2008 WL / Jan 2009 Poly CL / Oct/Nov 2010 AKL (Engaged!) / Oct 2011 DCL Magic (Honeymoon!) / Oct 2012 OKW/BLT / Feb 2013 WL Club / Sept/Oct 2013 Poly CL
Miss Potts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #68
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

WELCOME BACK (even though I know it sucks)!

I loved watching your vlogs! They're so fun.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #69
FlaNani
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear more about the magical cupcakes! yummy

FlaNani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #70
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Welcome back. I'm looking forward to hearing it all!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #71
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Welcome back!

I've been enjoying your vlog but I'm still not caught up. Maybe I can finish up before you start your first installment!
Thanks!! So glad you've been enjoying the vlogs, there are a few more of those to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Yay for having some Disney magic in my near future despite the fact that I got home at 3am this morning!
You poor thing!!! It sounded from twitter like it was pretty crazy with the traffic and the sketchy people! Hope you're recovered now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Potts View Post
Welcome back!!! Can't wait to read all about your trip!
Thanks! I'm hoping to get the first update up today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
WELCOME BACK (even though I know it sucks)!

I loved watching your vlogs! They're so fun.
You totally hit the nail on the head - ugh, I just want to go back to Disney, and we only just got back home!! And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNani View Post
Can't wait to hear more about the magical cupcakes! yummy
Plenty of cupcakes and yumminess coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Welcome back. I'm looking forward to hearing it all!
Thanks!!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #72
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

On the Road: Donuts and More

So I have to admit, I always love reading the very beginning of a trip report, and writing it too! All the excitement is ahead of you, all the surprises and all the magical moments and all the delicious meals and the pretty resorts and every ounce of pixie dust is just about to begin, and in some ways it's the very best part of a trip!

JUNE 11th was the Disney day that we had all been eagerly looking forward to for several months past, and at last it had nearly arrived. This was a true summer trip - the day before we left was the last day of school for the boys! I had a closing shift that night, which wasn't exactly ideal since we were leaving early in the morning; but the fact that the next week and a half I would be spending at Disney made it go pretty quickly! I got home about 11pm, helped Mom with some last minute ironing and packing...luckily most of the packing was already done, so we didn't have to stay up too late.

The idea was to leave by 8:30AM, but from 6 to 8 it was the inevitable pre-departure scramble...

I sandwiched bags into the van like a Tetris pro.

Mom was busily checking off items on the Disney packing list.

Athos and Dart were waiting eagerly, Gameboys in hand, for the hours and hours of we're-in-the-car-so-we-might-as-well-play-video-games-until-our-brains-ooze-out-our-ears that was about to begin.

Porthos was wolfing down leftover beef stew for breakfast. He claimed it wouldn't keep while we were gone. I think he just wanted to have beef stew for breakfast.

Dad was making sure the house was all good to go and everything was unplugged. As usual, he asked about five times whether or not I had left my curling iron plugged in. I don't actually even use my curling iron all that often, but don't worry, Dad, it's unplugged.

If you've read my trip reports in the past, you'll know that I usually have a trip report mascot. This time I decided to bring a new face...

This is mini Emma! She is a LEGO, and she came with a mini ice cream cart. How adorable is that?? Dart, who loves everything lego, naturally assumed that I would love the "LEGO Friends" girl legoes, so he convinced Mama Snob to get me the little ice cream cart. And really, Mama Snob might have bought it anyway, because it's super cute, and the little LEGO girl's name IS actually Emma. And she looks like me.

And yes, I'm the kind of twenty-four-year-old who still enjoys cute little toys. lol.

Mini Emma was ready to hit the road!

The beginning of the drive is always the most fun...that road trip lethargy hasn't set in yet. And this drive was actually very pleasant, because we were only driving about half the usual distance. Once we reached Virginia we were going to hop aboard the Auto Train!

We enjoyed the sight of this caravan of three bakery vans, probably filled with the morning's baking of bread!

Our own breakfast was only a few hours off: we were planning to stop at Maple Donuts.

They spell out the word "OPEN" with giant donut letters. I highly approve of this.

Yummmmm...so many delicious options. We got a dozen, so we each got to pick two, but still it was so hard!! I also got a kick out of this giant donut on the wall:

LOL - I like how they've got a little donut poem in the middle there. Also note the Finding Nemo friends randomly made out of paper plates. DISNEY IS EVERYWHERE!!!

JUST LOOK AT THOSE BEAUTIFUL DONUTS.

I wish we had a Maple Donuts near us, because these were seriously amazing. The donut itself was just the right consistency - light but a little cake-y too. And the icing. Oh the icing. Some of them were completely glazed and THEN had a generous coat of icing on top of the glaze. Compare this to Dunkin Donuts, which has donuts with more air than donut in them and as little icing as it is humanly possible to put on.

This is my "I'm about to eat an amazing chocolate peanut butter donut" face. It was so rich I could only eat about half - I kept the rest for the train. Maple Donuts was a definite win.

But it wasn't the only amazing eating stop we were planning to make. We were passing by the home to the most delicious burritos in the world, a place in Virginia called Anita's, so we called in a take-out there for our lunch!

It's the perfect soft and chewy tortilla combined with the perfect amount of beans and melty cheese and "chile" as they call the sauce. Man, now I'm just making myself hungry...

This is my "I'm about to eat the best burrito in the world" face.

We were nearing Lorton, VA, where the Auto Train starts, so we saved the burritos to munch at the station. It was pretty exciting pulling in...all the signs had PALM TREES on them!

I think you had to be at the station by 3pm, but we were there about 1pm so we had loads of time. First we collected everything we would need for the night and handed over the car. It was fun to watch them loading the cars into the big silver train compartments...

Bidding adieu to the van, we headed into the station. It was so pretty:

Kinda art deco! And, you guys. There were more palm trees.

See them on the pillars?? LOVE. IT.

We stopped by the desk to pick which dinner seating (dinner is included on the Auto Train. Oh yeah.) - there's a 5pm and a 7pm. Since we had our burritos we went for the 7pm. The Auto Train was not at all crowded that day, but apparently when it is the later dinner seatings book up really fast, and you have to arrive really early if you want a certain seating!

Since we were early, there was time to just hang around and explore the station.

I got started on my Disney diary! I also uploaded some vlogs and such, since the station had free wi-fi...

Loved the little graphic on the login screen. "Wi-Fi? Why, yes!" YES PLEASE!

Is it time to board yet?

The passenger cars! Apparently the Auto Train is the longest passenger train in the world, because it carries both passengers and their vehicles!

LET'S GO!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
RachelNinja

Love your donut and burrito faces! I always want to stop and more local places when we drive down to Florida, but my dad's always like, "Oh look, there's a Wendy's." At least this time, I was able to try Bojangles! I mean, if we're going to eat at a chain, I'd like to eat at one that we don't have easily accessible to where we are! That meant Bojangles, Chick-fil-A (where I just recently learned is spelled Chick and not Chik ... mind blown~), and Cracker Barrel, of course. I think that with my kids, I'll want to do research to have plenty of exciting stops along the way!

Ooo, can't wait to see how you liked the AutoTrain! We did Amtrak during our Feb 2011 trip with our friends/cousins. AutoTrain would've been awesome ... IF any of us actually had a car to take with us, haha. I actually really enjoyed the traveling because I'm not a fan of plane rides, and the car is just way too long. It was nice to have more room on the train and to be able to watch movies without getting motion sickness like I would in the car. Plus, it's very relaxing knowing that we wouldn't have to trade seats so that my husband could drive while my dad rested.

BTW, mini Emma is awesome!!! I brought a Vinylmation to be my mascot on the trip, but I never even took him out of our condo. This trip I had my new video camera with me and a HUGE bag of pins, so I figured with that extra weight, I didn't want to also lug something extra around.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #74
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

Oh my goodness I am IN LOVE with you backpack. Representing the UK nice and loudly! Love it, love it, love it!

The auto train looks so exciting! The only thing I can compare it too here is the EuroTunnel which takes you and your car to France... but you drive on, and stay sat in your car because really the journey is only about 2 hours. So not as cool as what you did! Looks amazing!!

Urm the donuts look incredible! I am only familiar with Dunkin so those look pretty incredible! Yummy yummy yummy!

Looking forward to finding out what the autotrain is like

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
disneyhockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #75
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Great start! I can't wait to hear all about the AutoTrain. I have never traveled that way before. It could be an interesting option!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: