Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #166
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Polynesian Sunset I

When I last left off, I believe we were just leaving Narcoossee's after a lovely dinner and emerging back into the Florida sunshine...

I love this corner of the Grand Floridian. Actually I love most little hidden corners at the Grand Floridian, but the flowers and the water are just so pretty in this particular spot...

I love to watch the Electrical Water Pageant from right there. It's a lot quieter than the dock, and the view is just as good!

Alas, however, we did not have much time to linger, as the dinner offerings at the King Kamehameha were still for about fifteen minutes. We had to STEP ON IT! I know, I know, we had just had dinner. But when there's free Disney food in front of you, you don't let little details like that bother you. Besides, the dash back from the Grand to the Poly would restore our appetites, right?

I'm very good at dashing and taking photos at the same time, so I snapped this shot of the new Grand Floridian Villas going up! They're not going to stay yellow like that, right? Surely they'll paint that white. And I think there are going to be balconies too. I can't wait to see it finished!

Ahhhhh...from the plethora of palm trees, I can see we are nearing the Polynesian.

So many brothers! This was around the point, I believe, when Dart started running and my other brothers, unwilling to be beat by a ten year old, all started sprinting as well. LOL.

Maybe the running was a good idea, because we arrived with minutes to spare. We just had time to look at the offerings and get a few things before they took it down!

There were pot stickers and some kind of chicken.

The whole spread! They always have super tasty cheeses at the Polynesian. Tonight they also had some interesting-looking tropical salad...

OH TO HAVE TWO STOMACHS!! (At least at Walt Disney World. )

I got a few things on a plate to snack on later in the evening. Athos, however, saw the pot stickers and seemed to think they might be the last pot stickers he would ever see for the rest of his life. Pot stickers in the club tend to have this effect on Athos. It's as if the end of the world is coming and pot stickers are the only thing that can save him:

HE STOCKPILES POT STICKERS. I'm almost ashamed to show you that photo - it was the end of the night, so they would have just thrown those away, but still. Greed does have its price - Athos wolfed the pot stickers and then had a stomach ache. Will he ever learn???

Meanwhile the golden sunset light on the beach was too beautiful to be believed, and I had to get back out to it:

THIS IS HEAVEN. SERIOUSLY. And then with the tiki torches?

Sorry, I know I should stop enthusing, but the Polynesian is just perfection to me! It makes me feel like I can fly...

My favorite hammock was most obligingly empty and waiting for me, and I watched as the sun turned the Seven Seas Lagoon to LIQUID GOLD:

Polynesian sunsets are simply the best.

One more, because I can't resist...

The sky to the west was a riot of color, but the castle was clothed in grey...

The daily Florida storm seemed to be slowly rolling in! Mama Snob and Dart came out to the beach as well, to take some pictures before the light went. Dart was walking along in the water, and Mom called out for him to kick the wave a little bit, to get a cool pic with the water droplets. But all of a sudden this voice behind us calls out, "Actually, DON'T kick." It was a cast member who was clearing people off of the beach (I guess they'd spotted lightning), but he was being SO RUDE about it. And it's not like it could've been the kicking he objected to, because there were other kids playing in the water and he said nothing to them. If it's a safety reason and you have to ask people to vacate the area, I totally understand - but be polite about it! He was so officious and condescending - unfortunately the first of many Suzie-Helpershoes-type CM's we were to encounter that trip. Boo.

Ah well. We moved up into the lounge, where we could stil enjoy the sunset and the view of the beach. And, of course, two minutes after we left the beach, another family comes along and starts playing the water, but then Mr. Rude Dude Cast Member was nowhere in sight.

It was nice to enjoy the lounge though. I managed to snag a table right by the window!

I love how the sky matches the castle...it looks like those spires could have just descended from the clouds!

Soon it was time to turn my attention back into the lounge itself - the desserts were out!

(continued next post!)

Last edited by AGPrincess; 07-17-2013 at 09:35 AM.
AGPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #167
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Polynesian Sunset II

Some cute and colorful fruit tarts!

Those little squares were raspberry cheesecake, I believe, and SUPER delicious! There also was a chocolate option...

Mickey Mousse domes, much like at the contemporary! The base was a little disc of chocolate cake instead of an oreo - the cake was a bit dry for my taste, though the mousse was lovely. I was surprised to find when sampling a Captain Cook's cupcake the next day that the club dessert was basically like a mini version of the cupcake!

The Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes were coming up, so I went back to the room to watch those.

And luckily we would be able to see them from our own window!

Unexpectedly, there was another show in the sky to watch in the interim: the lightning! It seemed to strike every 30 seconds, and the strikes looked like they were right over the Magic Kingdom.

Here's the shot I got with the strawberry...that's not photoshop, it's the lightning!

I had lots of shots like the above one, waiting for it to strike and hoping to get a good pic. But luckily I did get one with the good camera as well...

WOW. That one looked like it could've hit Splash Mountain! I hope everyone in the park was staying safe. The storm didn't cause them to cancel anything however - soon it was time for some more friendly lights!

HOORAY! I love the Electrical Water Pageant! We danced around to the music with reckless abandon. Crazy dancing is a necessary component of Electrical Water Pageant viewing.

I think the whale music at the beginning is my favorite, although I love the dinosaur song too.

And then it was time for WISHES!! We could hear the music perfectly from the beach, and it was SUCH a fabulous view...

The strawberry is very good at many things, but I discovered that fireworks photos are not one of them!

There we go! That's better!

All in blue! And check out that flame that seems to be leaping out of its tiki torch!

I'm pretty sure this was from the princess part, with Beauty and the Beast music playing...Tale as old as time...

MY FAVORITE PART!!! Those golden weeping willows will never get old.

It was a pretty wonderful Polynesian evening.

Time for bed, strawberry! There will be more Disney adventures in the morning!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #168
shana398
Mouseketeer

I have just started reading a few trip reports the last couple of weeks and I am hooked! I love reading and I love Disney so this is my new hobby for right now! My husband keeps asking what it is I'm doing on the IPAD so much! Anyway, your Trip Report is one of my favorites so far! I love the way you write! I think I will read your other reports if I can find them!
shana398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #169
shana398
Mouseketeer

Also, I am very curious about your brothers' names . . . Three Musketeers?
shana398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #170
jdd
DIS Veteran

Yay for Polynesian updates Those desserts look fabulous! I don't remember anything that good from our trip in 2011 - I think we just had mousse in a plastic shot glass - maybe the fruit tarts, but definitely no cheesecake. So exciting

And, as I keep reminding everyone , we'll be there in 4 short weeks
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR

August 2009 TR - FW Cabins
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #171
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Yes, that is a ridiculously long walk that absolutely requires free nourishment to re-energize.

Ooh, now that's a lightning strike. Wow!

I'm completely sure that Tiki torch was synced to Wishes somehow. It's a very Disney thing to do.

Ahh Wishes from the Poly. One of these days this will happen for me. Wonderful photos!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #172
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I agree - never pass the opportunity to eat free food. Glad you made it back for the club's dinner offerings and enjoyed some Poly sunset time! Beautiful pictures and BOY do you have a way with words!!! Great update!!

Too bad about the Snooty/snarky CM.

The first time we took our kids (and my parents) to WDW, we were staying at the Contemporary in a garden wing (which is now BLT) and heard music. We had NO idea about the EWP and it was such a wonderful surprise! We enjoyed it every night of that trip!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #173
dancin_princess
DIS Veteran

I'm ready to play catch up, here goes!

Mini Emma is so cute!

Those donuts look amazing.

I think it's really neat you went on an auto train. The only train I've been on is the one at MK.

The Poly is so beautiful! Club level, what a wonderful surprise!

Awesome picture of the Grand during construction.

My dad was telling me about the cast member black out days. I don't remember there being that many when I worked there. He says the system is completely different than what it was before.

The length of you hair was so pretty but I do love your haircut! I'm not brave enough to chop my hair because I'd end up looking like Mufasa.

Great picture of you "flying".

That's terrible about the snooty CM. no bueno.

A few day trips as a child. A day trip in Jan 06 to meet my dad's (then) fiancee. Serveral day trips as a CM Aug 06-May 08.Most memorable. 1st date w/boyfriend (then co-worker/friend) on Oct 9, 2007 . Surprise breakfast at Ohana's, then day at Epcot w/friends on bday.April 11, 2008 for Aunt's bdayA few day trips with DIS MEETS when I moved back in 2010.1st time staying on property 12/24/10-01/01/11 at Coranado Springs
dancin_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #174
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Delightful! It's totally okay to have eaten dinner and then go back to the club to see what they had to offer! I love the idea of just having appetizers and enjoying a bit of what Narcoossee's had to offer. Personally, I think appetizers are the best part of meals anyway. When I read cruise TRs or look at the menus, I tell my husband that I'd probably ask them for one of every appetizer and skip the entree! I'd be the person who asks for the dessert to be wrapped up for the room and to have another appetizer instead!

Whoa, great shot of the lightning! Howard kept trying this past trip to get one. We were waiting outside of Epcot for my parents to pick us up, and he was standing there with his camera ready because we kept seeing it. A group even walked by and one of the men commented and said, "Beautiful lightning, isn't it" because he could tell what Howard was trying to do! Alas, he was unsuccessful!

Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (Disneymoon TR in progress)
Saving Dole Whip Float Money - PTR for Feb 2011 // Delicious Indeed! - TR for February 2011
It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! - PTR for April 2010 // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon - TR for April 2010
A DISer's Trip of Firsts! - TR for Feb 2008 // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! - Living the Life Outside of VMK

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #175
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Awesome update!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #176
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

First of all- I don't know anyone in their right mind that would say no to FREE Disney food, no matter how full they might be!

Boo to the Grumpy Rude CM on the Poly beach. There really is no need to be rude.

Is there anything better than watching Wishes from your room? I haven't been lucky enough to experience it yet, but it just sounds divine!

The golden weeping willow fireworks are my favorite too! I can usually keep it together for most of the show, now that I have seen it quite a few times. But those always get me to tear up!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #177
Miss Potts
Mouseketeer

I love the golden weeping willow fireworks too!! I once took a perfect photo on an old old old phone of mine... I loved the photo so much that I debated not upgrading my phone because of it! total Disney nerd.

The lounge offerings for both apps and dessert look delish! It's truly amazing how in Disney.. even though you can be stuffed... somehow you walk into the lounge and my stomach starts growling again!! I just can't walk past ANY of it!

I'm similar to you and like to plan light dinners, so that I can enjoy the best of both worlds! (and save a little cash!)

Read my PTR:
The Adventures of Miss Potts - PTR Fall 2013

1987 Hilton / 1989 FW / 1991 CBR / 1993 BC / 1995 WL / 1997 Poly / 1998 BWI / 2001 BC / 2005 Poly CL / May 2005 WL CL / Dec 2005 WL CL / August 2006 WL / Jan 2007 Poly CL/Contemporary CL / 2008 WL / Jan 2009 Poly CL / Oct/Nov 2010 AKL (Engaged!) / Oct 2011 DCL Magic (Honeymoon!) / Oct 2012 OKW/BLT / Feb 2013 WL Club / Sept/Oct 2013 Poly CL
Miss Potts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #178
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana398 View Post
I have just started reading a few trip reports the last couple of weeks and I am hooked! I love reading and I love Disney so this is my new hobby for right now! My husband keeps asking what it is I'm doing on the IPAD so much! Anyway, your Trip Report is one of my favorites so far! I love the way you write! I think I will read your other reports if I can find them!
WELCOME, to the TR and the DIS! There are so many fun trip reports on here. Thank you so much - I'm so glad you're enjoying it! You can find my previous reports in my signature - just click on one of the little pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana398 View Post
Also, I am very curious about your brothers' names . . . Three Musketeers?
You got it! And Dart is short for D'artagnion. I've always used code names for my brothers. If only I had four sisters, then I could've used Jane, Lizzie, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia (from Pride & Prejudice!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd View Post
Yay for Polynesian updates Those desserts look fabulous! I don't remember anything that good from our trip in 2011 - I think we just had mousse in a plastic shot glass - maybe the fruit tarts, but definitely no cheesecake. So exciting

And, as I keep reminding everyone , we'll be there in 4 short weeks
WOOT WOOT!! You're getting closer and closer!! I thought the desserts were better than previous years. You never know what to expect, but the cheesecake was my fav - in spite of the fact it didn't have any chocolate in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Yes, that is a ridiculously long walk that absolutely requires free nourishment to re-energize.

Ooh, now that's a lightning strike. Wow!

I'm completely sure that Tiki torch was synced to Wishes somehow. It's a very Disney thing to do.

Ahh Wishes from the Poly. One of these days this will happen for me. Wonderful photos!!
LOL - I will have to watch the Tiki Torches more carefully during Wishes next time. That would be totally epic if they were synced. And you should definitely try to watch it from the Poly beach - such a beautiful view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I agree - never pass the opportunity to eat free food. Glad you made it back for the club's dinner offerings and enjoyed some Poly sunset time! Beautiful pictures and BOY do you have a way with words!!! Great update!!

Too bad about the Snooty/snarky CM.

The first time we took our kids (and my parents) to WDW, we were staying at the Contemporary in a garden wing (which is now BLT) and heard music. We had NO idea about the EWP and it was such a wonderful surprise! We enjoyed it every night of that trip!
That is SO sweet of you to say - thank you!! Awww, that must have been a magical surprise. I miss that garden wing! At least there's still the one to the south. It's so fun watching EWP on Bay Lake; it's so quiet that it feels like it's a private show just for you!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #179
DisneyGuy758
Let's go Murphys!

Well now. I'm glad to have a new TR to read while I'm at work, counting down the days until I too am there.

24 for those keeping score at home.

Me DW DS 13 DS 7 DS 2

The DisneyGuy Clan Hits the world...8/10-8/16

My non-Disney related hobby.
DisneyGuy758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #180
BelleSoleil
Earning My Ears

Is that you in a club level robe, Missy Prissy?

Good times! I feel the same way about Disney pot stickers. It is very rare to find a pot sticker in my part of the country, so I freak out over them on vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: