Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Disney World Trip with Toddler - Itinerary

OK, our first trip with our DS is in October. He will have just turned 3 when we go. Here is our itinerary. Does anything see anything they think I should change? We're staying at the Doubletree near Downtown Disney for the first two night with Hilton points and then at Animal Kingdom Villas for 2 nights.

We're driving over from Tampa and we'll be getting annual passes. I want this trip to be really special, but I'm not too worried about missing something because we can pretty easily go back.

October 19th

11:00 am T-Rex in Downtown Disney

Go to DisneyQuest?

Merry-go-round

4:00 pm check in at Doubletree

Dinner at Paradiso? Play by ear.

October 20th

10:20 am reservation at Chef Mickeys

Day at Magic Kingdom

Attractions for Jake: Dumbo, Cinderella’s Castle, Winnie the Pooh, Swiss Family Treehouse, Monsters Laugh Floor

5:10 pm reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern

October 21st

Check out of Double Tree.

Go to Animal Kingdom

Attractions for Jake: Boneyard, Affection Section, Wildlife Express Train, Triceratops ride

1:00 pm reservation at Yak & Yeti

3pm check in at Animal Kingdom Villas?

6:00 pm reservation for Jake at AK childcare

7:50 pm reservation at Sanaa

October 22nd

Hang out at hotel

Go to Boardwalk for Big River Lunch Grille (doesn’t take reservations)

Epcot- eat at France and China

Attractions for Jake: The Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, Kidcot fun stops

8:05 pm dinner reservation at Ohana

October 23rd

Check out of Animal Kingdom

Hollywood Studios or back to Magic Kingdom?

Hollywood & Vine or Be Our Guest

Attractions for Jake: Toy Story Mania, Honey I Shrunk the Kids

2013: Animal Kingdom Kidana; 2014: Polynesian, AoA, Saratoga Springs
MissVeronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Unless right now he is reallly good at sit down dinners I wouldn't have a sit down every meal. But other than that it looks good.

Parades?

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

We went my my 3 year old last November. Note: he hated the Boneyard (the kids can make a dinosaur roar and he didn't like it at all) so we spent about 3 minutes there. We did the safari twice - he loved it. He also liked the drummers in Africa.

I don't think there's really anything at DisneyQuest for little guys, but mine LOVED the Lego store. Maybe more than the parks!

Hollywood Studios - Meeting Woody and Buzz was probably the highlight of his trip. They have Disney Jr. show as well and Muppets, but overall we didn't do much there. He actually asked to go "back to Nemo" instead (so we took the boat - which he loved).

Epcot - he liked the boat rides in Mexico and The Land. Of course nemo. He liked Spaceship Earth and really liked running around Imagination (don't miss the jumping water!)

MK - It's a Small World and Buzz Lightyear are the only two mustdos I can think of that weren't on you list. He also liked Mickey's Philharmagic.

Remember to take it easy. And get a stroller. Mine hadn't been in a stroller since he was 2, but fell asleep every day in it.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG View Post
Unless right now he is reallly good at sit down dinners I wouldn't have a sit down every meal. But other than that it looks good.

Parades?
He's okay at sit down, but not great. He's won't be with us at Ohana and Sanaa, he'll be at the Animal Childcare. This assumes he'll be potty trained by then and won't have a freak out about going to the childcare!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
We went my my 3 year old last November. Note: he hated the Boneyard (the kids can make a dinosaur roar and he didn't like it at all) so we spent about 3 minutes there. We did the safari twice - he loved it. He also liked the drummers in Africa.

I'll keep that in mind. There is a loud dinosaur at the zoo here and it really scared him last time we went.

I don't think there's really anything at DisneyQuest for little guys, but mine LOVED the Lego store. Maybe more than the parks!

I was wondering about that. What exactly is there to do at DisneyQuest?

Hollywood Studios - Meeting Woody and Buzz was probably the highlight of his trip. They have Disney Jr. show as well and Muppets, but overall we didn't do much there. He actually asked to go "back to Nemo" instead (so we took the boat - which he loved).

Good to know! My friend though Hollywood Studios would be the one place to skip.

Epcot - he liked the boat rides in Mexico and The Land. Of course nemo. He liked Spaceship Earth and really liked running around Imagination (don't miss the jumping water!)

MK - It's a Small World and Buzz Lightyear are the only two mustdos I can think of that weren't on you list. He also liked Mickey's Philharmagic.

Remember to take it easy. And get a stroller. Mine hadn't been in a stroller since he was 2, but fell asleep every day in it.
Thank you!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Does he nap still? I think even if he doesn't just be prepared he might want to with all this fun going on

We are in the same boat as you...bringing my daughter for the first time around the same age. Should be interesting!

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
LisaRae87
Mouseketeer

While I love t-rex keep in mind that they have a "meteor shower" every so often, twice an hour? not sure how often but all the dinosaurs roar and move around and there is a lot of noise and commotion during the couple minutes that it lasts. My daughter (almost 3) was scared the first couple times we went, and now she is ok with it so long as she is in a good mood. Rainforest cafe is similar but with a thunder storm instead and all the monkeys and such move around.

Also - you have to pay for the merry go round at DTD but there is a bigger one for free at MK. As pp said - the lego store is great, lots to play with and see. If you don't mind him getting wet (after dinner) there are some fun water features to play in as well.

The swiss family tree house is neat - but I have yet to take my daughter on it because I don't think she would enjoy it - it is more something to SEE than DO other than the TONS OF STAIRS.. it is quite the work out

Our must do list for the parks are (keep in mind I have a girl so some may not matter to your son)

MK
Little Mermaid
Small World
Pirates
Dumbo
Alladin's carpets
Jungle Cruise
Pooh

AK
Safari
Triceratops spin
Planet watch
Festival of the Lion King (I heard this was moving at some point, not sure)

HS
Little mermaid show
muppets
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Disney Jr show

Ep
Journey into the imagination
Spaceship Earth
Mexico boat ride
seeing the different performers in the world showcase
Living with the land
Nemo
Turtle Talk

Plus she insists on seeing Mickey in EVERY PARK... EVERY TIME.. MK has fast passes, and I think Ep and AK are going to at some point as well, not sure.

LisaRae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
kermitman18
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVeronica View Post
OK, our first trip with our DS is in October. He will have just turned 3 when we go. Here is our itinerary. Does anything see anything they think I should change? We're staying at the Doubletree near Downtown Disney for the first two night with Hilton points and then at Animal Kingdom Villas for 2 nights.

We're driving over from Tampa and we'll be getting annual passes. I want this trip to be really special, but I'm not too worried about missing something because we can pretty easily go back.

October 19th

11:00 am T-Rex in Downtown Disney

Go to DisneyQuest?

Merry-go-round

4:00 pm check in at Doubletree

Dinner at Paradiso? Play by ear.

October 20th

10:20 am reservation at Chef Mickeys

Day at Magic Kingdom

Attractions for Jake: Dumbo, Cinderella’s Castle, Winnie the Pooh, Swiss Family Treehouse, Monsters Laugh Floor

5:10 pm reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern

October 21st

Check out of Double Tree.

Go to Animal Kingdom

Attractions for Jake: Boneyard, Affection Section, Wildlife Express Train, Triceratops ride

1:00 pm reservation at Yak & Yeti

3pm check in at Animal Kingdom Villas?

7:50 pm reservation at Sanaa

October 22nd

Hang out at hotel

Go to Boardwalk for Big River Lunch Grille (doesn’t take reservations)

Epcot- eat at France and China

Attractions for Jake: The Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, Kidcot fun stops

8:05 pm dinner reservation at Ohana

October 23rd

Check out of Animal Kingdom

Hollywood Studios or back to Magic Kingdom?

Hollywood & Vine or Be Our Guest

Attractions for Jake: Toy Story Mania, Honey I Shrunk the Kids

I have to ask why didn't you list Peter Pan for MK? Also, the Carousel, Story Time with Belle and Pirates. My DS was 1 when we took him and he loved all of them except Story Time with Belle because it wasn't open yet.

We ended up back at MK 3 or 4 times during our last stay because he loved it so much.

kermitman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitman18 View Post
I have to ask why didn't you list Peter Pan for MK? Also, the Carousel, Story Time with Belle and Pirates. My DS was 1 when we took him and he loved all of them except Story Time with Belle because it wasn't open yet.

We ended up back at MK 3 or 4 times during our last stay because he loved it so much.
It's our first trip with him and I never paid attention to all the kids rides when I was last there about 10 years ago. He hasn't seen Beauty and the Beast yet and so I chose rides where I knew he'd like the characters or ones that friends suggested to me. I was also told that his age not to expect him to be able to make too many rides on one day.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRae87 View Post
While I love t-rex keep in mind that they have a "meteor shower" every so often, twice an hour? not sure how often but all the dinosaurs roar and move around and there is a lot of noise and commotion during the couple minutes that it lasts. My daughter (almost 3) was scared the first couple times we went, and now she is ok with it so long as she is in a good mood. Rainforest cafe is similar but with a thunder storm instead and all the monkeys and such move around.

Also - you have to pay for the merry go round at DTD but there is a bigger one for free at MK. As pp said - the lego store is great, lots to play with and see. If you don't mind him getting wet (after dinner) there are some fun water features to play in as well.

The swiss family tree house is neat - but I have yet to take my daughter on it because I don't think she would enjoy it - it is more something to SEE than DO other than the TONS OF STAIRS.. it is quite the work out

Our must do list for the parks are (keep in mind I have a girl so some may not matter to your son)

MK
Little Mermaid
Small World
Pirates
Dumbo
Alladin's carpets
Jungle Cruise
Pooh

AK
Safari
Triceratops spin
Planet watch
Festival of the Lion King (I heard this was moving at some point, not sure)

HS
Little mermaid show
muppets
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Disney Jr show

Ep
Journey into the imagination
Spaceship Earth
Mexico boat ride
seeing the different performers in the world showcase
Living with the land
Nemo
Turtle Talk

Plus she insists on seeing Mickey in EVERY PARK... EVERY TIME.. MK has fast passes, and I think Ep and AK are going to at some point as well, not sure.
Thanks!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
Does he nap still? I think even if he doesn't just be prepared he might want to with all this fun going on

We are in the same boat as you...bringing my daughter for the first time around the same age. Should be interesting!
He does, but he can make it through if needed. It's so hard to tell what he's going to be doing in October though. I hate that reservations need to be made so far ahead of time. I figure we can always cancel them if needed though.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

It looks like you already have gotten some great advice. I think your plan looks very doable. We did 2 table service meals a day this past May with my 2 year old and he did just great. It helped that we new what we wanted to order ahead of time, ordered right away and kept it short and sweet.

Your plan for Magic Kingdom looks great, especially starting with fantasy land. If things are moving fast try Peter Pan and little mermaid. Those are fun for a 3 y/I even if he doesn't know the characters. I would make monster's in your next priority, (my DS loved that) and save Swiss family as a if we have time ride.

If you can get there for rope drop it really makes a difference. We finished all of fantasyland before 10:30 and really enjoyed the low crowds.

Don't forget the safari in AK!

DS's favorites were:
The buses
Monsters inc
The train in MK and Animal Kimgdom
Nemo at Epcot

It looks like you guys are taking it easy which is great.

Shannon has some great toddler touring plans on her blog wdwprepschool.com

You can also find other toddler tips on my trip report. (Link below) I tried to list what worked and what didn't.

Have fun!
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Howgreat
Mouseketeer

I third Peter Pan! That was my 3 year old's absolute favorite ride when we went last Christmas!

He didn't really enjoy Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse though, since its just climb up the steps and back down. I'll bet your little guy would love Tom Sawyer's island!

I second trying to fit in at least a couple of parades, too.

Also, I think Honey I Shrunk the Audience has been replaced by something else (I don't know I anyone had already pointed that out or not). The Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground is fun though!

DisneyQuest would probably not be something he would be too interested in.

If he's tall enough, DS(3) really enjoyed Soarin' at Epcot!

1995-All-Star Music
2001-All-Star Sports
2008-(offsite)
2011-All-Star Movies
Dec. 2012-All-Star Music
Sept. 2013-All-Star Music
Coming soon: Sept. 2014-All-Star Music

Check out my PTR: "And Your Wish Will Come True...a September 2014 PTR"
Howgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
MissVeronica
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

I have never used the childcare...so that kinda stands out for me. Leaving a new 3, newly potty-trained, who might not have napped that day, with strangers, for 3-4 hours, and later at night (close to 10pm for Ohana night).

Maybe ask others who have used childcare with little ones to see what they think? I'm guessing the caregives and facility are probably pretty fun.

We are bringing our 3yo in December, so thanks for this thread : ) The shooting fountains at Epcot are a must-do. That really stood out when our oldest was 3...that and riding the buses ; )
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: