Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

I was unable to switch to early on two occasions with three kids under the age of 6. We did fine with late dining for he must part. It was great in that we got to all of the shows ( which was actually more impt to me bc I felt the kids would enjoy those more than long meals). They fell asleep a few times at dinner (under two crew) and we did the buffet a night or two. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Trying earliy this time but will probably miss at least one dinner in mdr due to a late excursion so the birth have pros and cons
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Call DCL and tell them you are switching to Carnival if they don't move you.

I bet you get moved...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind the time zone as well. We are from Colorado so the late seating at 8pm is like eating at 6 at home. We generally try and keep our kids on the same schedule which in this case hopefully means sleeping and staying out later.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

We did the 4 night Dream in January with our 3 DDs, ages 10, 8 and almost 5. We had Main Seating. However, I really wish we would have done the second seating. Getting ready for dinner around 4:30 seemed so early. We always had a later breakfast and lunch, so we could have easily waited longer to eat dinner. I really think my girls would have been completely fine and not too tired at the later seating.

Although price would definitely be a factor, I would not let the late seating dissuade you from a DCL cruise! And like many PPs said, there is the chance it can be changed onboard if you asked at GS. Good luck
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
drischar
Mouseketeer

Just off the Dream with children ages 5, 7, 9. At home we have usually finished dinner before 6:30 and kids in bed between 7:30-8:00. We had first seating. I will give serious consideration to booking second seating for our next cruise. Not sure when that will be, but that would be my plan even if "next time" was tomorrow.
drischar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
wl1117
Mouseketeer

Don't let this be the deciding factor for you. You can always wait-list or try to get it switched on the first day. If it's not working out, then take the kids to Cabana's for an early dinner.You can then let them go to the clubs, while you go have a nice quiet dinner alone.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

We had second seating when DD was 3 years old. It worked out fine! We typically had her take a little nap while we were getting showered/cleaned up for the evening...no problems. (She only fell asleep at dinner on the first night...it was quite an exciting day!) And now that they have the option of kids eating their meals during the appetizer course and then leaving for the clubs with the Youth Counselors, it's even easier to pull off second seating with kids.
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
nicbic97
Mouseketeer

We just did late dining last month with DS who is 5 last and actually liked it better than early dining. We are the same type of family who eats early at home and son goes to bed around 8. Late dining was better for us because we didn't have to rush back from excursions or whatever we were doing to get ready for dinner so early. DS fell asleep in all of the shows when we had early dinner and never got to see any. With late dining, he got to see all the shows and got to eat too. Dinner is served faster on 2nd seating and kids meals come out quicker because of the dine and play option with the kids club. He only had to sit through 45 min of dinner vs. 90 min of dinner. We are going to do late dining from now on.

5/15/99-18th b-day visit to MK, 9/28/12-MNSSHP, 9/29/12-10/6/12-Fantasy Western, 5/12/13-5/16/13-Dream 4 day Bahamaian, 11/10/13-11/15/13-Magic 5 day Western, 12/30/13-1/3/14-ASMo, 6/2/14-6/9/14-Alaskan Wonder
nicbic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
ndabunka
Earning My Ears

We did the late dinner seating when we only had one boy and he was around 7 years old. He LOVED the shows and seeing them early meant that he wasn't tired and had a GREAT time. As others have said, at that age they want hamburgers and hot dogs and those can be picked up at the other areas of the ship.

We've sailed almost every cruise line and there is a WORLD of difference between the Carnival and Disney cruises ESPECIALLY for kids. Neither of our kids was even REMOTELY interested in seeing most of the shows on the Carnival ship but the Disney "productions" will hold ANY kid's interest (as long as they aren't beat from being dragged through a port shopping spree all day long...LOL).

While a Disney vs. Carnival comparison is a bit like deciding between Washington Apples and ...., well TOFU (respectively), certain Carnival ships are "just fine" whereas others I "wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole". There is a reason some of their cabins are dirt cheap... Generally, the newer, the better with ANY cruise line but that is not so much a suggestion as it is a MANDATE with regards to Carnival.
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
gunka
DIS Veteran

One our first cruise we were assigned Second Seating and were not very excited about it, but it ended up working out very nice. On our second cruise we requested the late dinning.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
Diz Kids
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the responses! We booked the Disney cruise last night. We are over the worry of second seating and actually looking forward to it now!

Diz Kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: