Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Mama Odie
Mouseketeer

Passport dilemma!!!

In early November, my mother finally decided to join us on our cruise, I told her to make certain her U.S. passport was in order. It had expired in Aug. 2010 and would have to be renewed before we cruise in January. So she mailed in her old passport right away, so there would be plenty of time to process it and get it back before our trip.

Last week, she received her old passport back, along with a letter stating that they could not process her renewal because she had already applied for a passport in May 2010.

Now my mom is pretty certain that she did not apply for a passport renewal in 2010. At that point in time, she was busy caring for my sick father, and had no plans to travel overseas. I don't know whether this is evidence of attempted ID theft, bureaucratic confusion or what. At this point our main concern is getting this issue resolved as quickly as possible so it doesn't impact our travel plans. We are aware that Mom can cruise without a passport, but we'd feel better if she had one in case of emergencies.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with the passport agency to fix this type of problem? We have just over one month left before our cruise.

Thanks!

Loved our first Disney cruise so much, I even wrote a song about it!
Mama Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

I'd contact the state department Passport agency.

Information & Assistance National Passport Information Center 1-877-487-2778

You can go to one of the agencies in person and they can for a fee process passports same day. I would call the above number though to see what they can tell you about other applications that may have processed etc. If that fails, check with your congress person and see what help they can provide.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Even though a passport isn't technically necessary for a closed circuit cruise, I won't travel outside the country without one.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wow, scary.

When I've called the passport people they have been very nice and full of information.

It's definitely something you want to work out quickly, because IF she travels on the BC and IF there's an emergency, this problem is going to crop up at that point, too. Better to get to work on it from home than while wanting to be heading home in case of emergency!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: