Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Lauriejl2
Mouseketeer

Secret Porthole Rooms on Magic

I was thinking of changing my April 21st sailing to a couple weeks later where it will be easier for me to get time off of work and the prices are lower also. I see connecting rooms 5022 and 5024 are available which they were not on my April sailing. Has anyone ever stayed in either of those two rooms and maybe have a picture of the portholes so I can see how much is obstructed if it is worth it to book those rooms or not....thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
p17blo
DIS Veteran

I don't have a picture, but on the EBTA I took part in 'Cabin Cruisers' and took a look around a number of cabins including one of those secret porthole cabins. The obstruction was obvious, but no obtrusive. It clearly is visible, but you can see the water and it's a bit of a feature. Given the choice of Inside of secret porthole, i'd jump at the secret porthole no doubt.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriejl2 View Post
I was thinking of changing my April 21st sailing to a couple weeks later where it will be easier for me to get time off of work and the prices are lower also. I see connecting rooms 5022 and 5024 are available which they were not on my April sailing. Has anyone ever stayed in either of those two rooms and maybe have a picture of the portholes so I can see how much is obstructed if it is worth it to book those rooms or not....thanks

p17blo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

I was in the same cabin cruisers. I definitely agree that it is better than an inside. The obstruction was like a metal storage container looking thing with support beams. But you could clearly see the water and I would do it before its gone!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You can google the stateroom and find several pictures. I didn't think it was bad at all. Definitely a deal in Alaska!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Tiggs14
DIS Veteran

What category are the secret porthole cabins?

September 3rd - 13th, 2009 ~ Pop Century / August 18th - September 1st, 2010 ~ Pop Century / August 9th - 23rd, 2011 ~ Pop Century / April 17th - April 25th, 2012 ~ All Star Sports /
March 1st - March 9th, 2013 ~ Disney Magic / November 14 - 21st, 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggs14 View Post
what category are the secret porthole cabins?
10a
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriejl2 View Post
They are very nice rooms, but they really shouldn't be called "Secret porthole rooms" any more. There's nothing secret about them.

What's more - DCL often prices them higher than a category 9 - so unless you are really committed to the location, you can usually get a porthole room with an unobstructed room at a lower price.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You can google the stateroom and find several pictures. I didn't think it was bad at all. Definitely a deal in Alaska!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post

They are very nice rooms, but they really shouldn't be called "Secret porthole rooms" any more. There's nothing secret about them.

What's more - DCL often prices them higher than a category 9 - so unless you are really committed to the location, you can usually get a porthole room with an unobstructed room at a lower price.
That being said, we've sailed a seven night in 5020 and an eight night in 5520. If you have kids in the club, the location for these rooms is just about ideal. Sometimes the price for the cat 9s is lower, but not on opening day and not always. Also I'd rather be on the fifth floor with one large obstructed porthole than on deck two with two small high portholes in a cat 9c (or whatever the letter distinction is for those. Much better location, much better view. We've got one of the SPHs booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise and are debating whether to upgrade to a verandah or keep or favorite location and room style.
To each their own.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post
.....What's more - DCL often prices them higher than a category 9 - so unless you are really committed to the location, you can usually get a porthole room with an unobstructed room at a lower price.
We found this, on two December cruises Cat 9's were cheaper than the 10a secret porthole rooms

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
That being said, we've sailed a seven night in 5020 and an eight night in 5520. If you have kids in the club, the location for these rooms is just about ideal. Sometimes the price for the cat 9s is lower, but not on opening day and not always. Also I'd rather be on the fifth floor with one large obstructed porthole than on deck two with two small high portholes in a cat 9c (or whatever the letter distinction is for those. Much better location, much better view. We've got one of the SPHs booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise and are debating whether to upgrade to a verandah or keep or favorite location and room style.
To each their own.
It's true, it varies by cruise. However, I've seen these rooms cost more than even category 9A, and both 9B and 9A have a single large porthole on deck 2 - the ones with two small portholes are the 9c on deck 1.

The deck 5 rooms are, of course ideal for the kids clubs. but the view isn't that much better than deck 2 in my opinion - and the deck 2 rooms don't have the partial obstructions.

Back when these rooms were priced as deck 10 inside rooms, grabbing these rooms was a no-brainer. Now, it's not nearly so obvious.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
To each their own.
Unless you have a 'tween' in which case Edge would be right down the hall on deck 2.

It would have to be a substantial savings for me to want the SPH. Deck 2 is quiet & convenient for us.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Someone type slowly so I'm sure to understand...

We're booked on 5522&5524 on Magic. We get obstructed-view portholes?!

Yahoo!
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2n2 View Post
Someone type slowly so I'm sure to understand...

We're booked on 5522&5524 on Magic. We get obstructed-view portholes?!

Yahoo!
Yes!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

wow oh wow -
our trip just keeps getting better and better!
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: