Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Oct/November of 2012 (just over 6 months ago). I too am gold on Carnival. I maintain that Carnival offers a good product at a reasonable price. There are things they do better than DCL and things DCL does better than Carnival. I have also sailed on RCCL and while it was a good cruise, I felt that it was very uneven - service, food, entertainment, etc. I haven't written them off, I would just be better prepared next time for what to expect.

I think every cruiseline has something wonderful to offer - different but equally wonderful.
Well, I know each ship and each crew varies a lot. This last Carnival Dream wasn't much of one. We sailed 2/25-3/2 so ours was just 3 months ago, and after all the Triumph problems. There is not a doubt in the world they were cutting back A LOT particularly with regard to the crew, I think. There was just no one around.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

We've cruised DCL once and will again in the future as opposed to other less expensive cruise lines (one within driving distance to us). Here's why, in order of importance:

1. Kids clubs and activities. There was so much for our kids to do, everything was so kid friendly and I don't think any other cruiseline can compete with that.

2. Castaway Cay was so amazing and so family friendly. I am not sure I'd take a DCL cruise that didn't go there.

3. The evening shows were also very family friendly. I knew I could take my small children and they'd enjoy them.

4. Though it was expensive, I didn't feel nickled and dimed. We spent very little onboard over the cruisefare and tips.

5. Fireworks, characters, again lots of things that make our kids, and therefore my whole family, happy.

6. Room size with the split bathrooms.

Disney works very well for us traveling with two young children. If it was just DH and I, we'ds probably do a less expensive cruiseline. When the kids are teenagers (and we'd prefer two cabins) we may look to other cruiselines as well, but right now DCL works.

I will say that the size of the pools on the Dream was really disappointing. They were like human soup bowls all day. I never got in one, but I let the kids splash in the Mickey pool several times. I avoided that deck entirely on the sea day and as a result it makes me not want to book a cruise with too many sea days. I hear RCCL has better pools, so that could be a good option for when they are older (and bigger).

Last edited by Dallas_Lady; 06-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Here's my two cents-
DH & I have cruised NCL,CCL,RCCL and the last four with DCL ( 2 on Magic & 2 on Fantasy).
Only one cruise did we have our youngest with us,10 years ago,otherwise, it's just the two of us.
We are not Disney fanatics,more like cruise lovers. After 4 DCL's, I realized that it was an apples/oranges issue when trying to compare cruise lines to DCL.
We find that in terms of service and food,you'll need to compare DCL to the higher end lines,like Crystal & Regent.DCL employees go through such an entirely different type of training,with their focus truly on customer satisfaction.
We were never treated badly on the other lines,but we weren't treated as well,either.
We also prefer how DCL has their adult only areas/activities set up.
I guess we feel more appreciated on DCL.
DCl's cabins,in my opinion,are bigger,better designed in their floor plan,bigger verandas,better designed bathrooms, and as nutty as this might sound,DCL cabins aren't depressing. I never felt comfortable in the other lines cabins and like spending time in DCL's.
When our children and 10 grandchildren can get around to finding a week they can all agree on,it will be DCL that we go on. NONE of them have ever been on a cruise and only DCL will be the one that I will not have to stress over - we can be sure all the varying ages will have a great time.
DCL gives you that extra moneys' worth- we never felt that we overpaid for what we received. The nickel & dimming that was constant on the other lines,not only drove the end price up,to within DCL prices,but being in that atmosphere negatively affected our experience on those other lines.
Just my personal opinion......
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: