Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Will GS help with future cabana reservations etc.

In November we board our cruise on the day that I can book reservations for our following cruise. Will Guest Services help me try to grab a cabana (I know it is a very long shot), make Palo reservations, etc.?

Ironically, this will be our 5th DCL cruise. Too bad we're not sailing 15-16 days earlier. Or maybe we don't become Gold until we disembark?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
In November we board our cruise on the day that I can book reservations for our following cruise. Will Guest Services help me try to grab a cabana (I know it is a very long shot), make Palo reservations, etc.?

Ironically, this will be our 5th DCL cruise. Too bad we're not sailing 15-16 days earlier. Or maybe we don't become Gold until we disembark?
You usually don't become the next level till your cruise is done
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Thanks. That's good to know.

BTW I am enjoying your TR.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. That's good to know.

BTW I am enjoying your TR.
Thanks for reading it, next part should becoming by Tuesday
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

GS would probably direct you to the internet package and offer to let you use a laptop to do so.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
Thanks for reading it, next part should becoming by Tuesday
I will look forward to your next installment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
GS would probably direct you to the internet package and offer to let you use a laptop to do so.
Really. That doesn't seem like good service if they have the ability to help. Akin to GS at WDW telling you to book a dining reservation on your own rather than help. Of course, I would not approach GS unless it was a very quiet time. Haven't you found GS to be helpful? With one exception, I've found them very helpful but then I'm a relative newbie.

Thanks for your reply, Lisa.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

If it's the day you board, couldn't you just be online at midnight to try and get one, then nap until your PAT?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
I will look forward to your next installment.

Really. That doesn't seem like good service if they have the ability to help. Akin to GS at WDW telling you to book a dining reservation on your own rather than help. Of course, I would not approach GS unless it was a very quiet time. Haven't you found GS to be helpful? With one exception, I've found them very helpful but then I'm a relative newbie.

Thanks for your reply, Lisa.
Lisa and I both have at least 13 Disney cruises under our belts...each....so we're pretty experienced.
Most of the time, there are only two people working the Guest Services desk. There are times when it's quiet for them, as you mentioned trying to choose a time like that. But honestly, and I'm not trying to be rude, but booking future shore excursions, Palo, etc....for an upcoming cruise....is not in their job description, and it most likely is not even something they are capable of doing, since it requires being online, connected to the DCL website. It's just not a perk (or whatever you might call it) that they are even capable of doing at this time. It's not that they wouldn't want to help you....but I don't think they have the resources for it.

Then you also get into the area of if they do it for one family, they'd end up doing it for everyone eventually, and wouldn't get their own jobs done. And you have to know that while YOU may be polite and choose a time when it looks as though they aren't busy, not all people are going to be that nice and thoughtful.

Maybe it would be a good idea for DCL to have a dedicated desk with one or two people, to handle this type of thing. I think that's something that people would really love, and I know that none of the other cruise lines that I've been on offer this as a service.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
If it's the day you board, couldn't you just be online at midnight to try and get one, then nap until your PAT?
That's what I plan to do if it turns out they can't help. However, I don't take my laptop on cruises. Any luck with doing it on a phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Lisa and I both have at least 13 Disney cruises under our belts...each....so we're pretty experienced.
Most of the time, there are only two people working the Guest Services desk. There are times when it's quiet for them, as you mentioned trying to choose a time like that. But honestly, and I'm not trying to be rude, but booking future shore excursions, Palo, etc....for an upcoming cruise....is not in their job description, and it most likely is not even something they are capable of doing, since it requires being online, connected to the DCL website. It's just not a perk (or whatever you might call it) that they are even capable of doing at this time. It's not that they wouldn't want to help you....but I don't think they have the resources for it.

Then you also get into the area of if they do it for one family, they'd end up doing it for everyone eventually, and wouldn't get their own jobs done. And you have to know that while YOU may be polite and choose a time when it looks as though they aren't busy, not all people are going to be that nice and thoughtful.

Maybe it would be a good idea for DCL to have a dedicated desk with one or two people, to handle this type of thing. I think that's something that people would really love, and I know that none of the other cruise lines that I've been on offer this as a service.
Yes, I know many on this forum are experienced cruisers which is why I asked here. I hope someone who has actually tried can help me.

I am an early bird and so guest services is usually not busy at all when I've gone for help.

Do you know for a fact they have to be online to book those things or can it possibly be in their system?

I doubt any of us know the exact parameters of their job descriptions other than DCL CMs. Obviously, helping people with current cruise issues is their first priority but in the Disney spirit of making magic for their guests, I would think they would be happy to help if it were in their power.

Thanks for your reply, too, Stace.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

That's what I plan to do if it turns out they can't help. However, I don't take my laptop on cruises. Any luck with doing it on a phone?

Yes, I know many on this forum are experienced cruisers which is why I asked here. I hope someone who has actually tried can help me.

I am an early bird and so guest services is usually not busy at all when I've gone for help.

Do you know for a fact they have to be online to book those things or can it possibly be in their system?

I doubt any of us know the exact parameters of their job descriptions other than DCL CMs. Obviously, helping people with current cruise issues is their first priority but in the Disney spirit of making magic for their guests, I would think they would be happy to help if it were in their power.

Oh, see I think of "the day of" as starting AT midnight - as in you wouldn't already be on board but boarding later that day. i misunderstood. Sorry!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Oh, see I think of "the day of" as starting AT midnight - as in you wouldn't already be on board but boarding later that day. i misunderstood. Sorry!
You didn't misunderstand at all, Beth. But we plan to fly down the day before so will be in a hotel the night before embarking. Maybe we will be able to access a computer there. Thanks again.

I was thinking more about it. I remember how obsessive I get about checking for a cabana. I personally would not check more than once on a cruise but can imagine a few planners checking over and over which is exactly what I do at home.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:

I've never tried to get a cabana, but I understand they can go very quickly. Depending on the cruise Palo times can as well. If your booking window opens the day you board, wouldn't you want to get those things taken care of before you get to the ship?

I don't know where you're staying the night before you cruise, but could you see if a business center is available to you there?

While I don't know this for a fact, I'm betting the only way GS CM's on the ship would be able to help you would be to access the same online reservation system you, your TA, a CM at the DCL phone lines, or anyone else would.

I've chatted with CM's at the DCL phone reservations line while they waited for the same darn swimming fish I was seeing on my home computer to go away so they could actually get into the system.

Of course all the info gets transferred to the ships at some point, and they can go in and modify things then. When we did our B2B cruise we were offered some things that wouldn't have been possible in advance. I very much doubt that they have the information or ability that far out though.

Good luck, and congrats on bumping up a CC level.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
You didn't misunderstand at all, Beth. But we plan to fly down the day before so will be in a hotel the night before embarking. Maybe we will be able to access a computer there. Thanks again.

I was thinking more about it. I remember how obsessive I get about checking for a cabana. I personally would not check more than once on a cruise but can imagine a few planners checking over and over which is exactly what I do at home.
ah, got it.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats mom View Post
I've never tried to get a cabana, but I understand they can go very quickly. Depending on the cruise Palo times can as well. If your booking window opens the day you board, wouldn't you want to get those things taken care of before you get to the ship?

I don't know where you're staying the night before you cruise, but could you see if a business center is available to you there?

While I don't know this for a fact, I'm betting the only way GS CM's on the ship would be able to help you would be to access the same online reservation system you, your TA, a CM at the DCL phone lines, or anyone else would.

I've chatted with CM's at the DCL phone reservations line while they waited for the same darn swimming fish I was seeing on my home computer to go away so they could actually get into the system.

Of course all the info gets transferred to the ships at some point, and they can go in and modify things then. When we did our B2B cruise we were offered some things that wouldn't have been possible in advance. I very much doubt that they have the information or ability that far out though.

Good luck, and congrats on bumping up a CC level.
That's funny. How frustrating for them. Everything you wrote makes sense. Thanks for the congrats. I will be unreasonably excited.

Quote:
ah, got it.
Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I know that the information is not released to the ship until just prior to the cruise, so the CMs onboard do not have access to the same information/system that shore side CMs do. Those are two distinctly separate divisions of DCL. I found this out when handling an issue for a cruise last year. Though there did end up being communication between CMs in both divisions, I don't believe it would have happened if my incredible TA didn't speak directly to the manager onboard when she was on the ship before our cruise to help get the ball rolling. This applies to dining and all other aspects involving guest information. As has been noted, the only way to access that information onboard would be to access your reservation online using the internet service. GS will allow you to borrow laptops to make an OBB, but that is linked directly to their shipboard server and that is the only website that is accessible. It has the discount already applied to the cruise fare when you do this.

The CMs at GS are dealing with the onboard server at the front desk, not the internet. Communication in any form is more expensive when at sea -- both via cell phone and data. It's not like GS at the resorts on land where CMs have internet access on their computer terminals and can easily bring up anything online and print out directions for you or the like. Guests who need to check in for their return flights before the end of the cruise are also directed to the internet package. It's not that the GS CMs are trying to be difficult or unhelpful.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: