Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
dskib
DIS Veteran

I second the air freshener.
dskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari
I never pack shampoo, conditioner because they have that on board. I always pack a compact LED flashlight to keep next to my bed.
... Note, if u r working on Rapunzel like I am (bout mid booty now!) This advice doesn't apply.

But even more important than shampoo was spray leave in conditioner that let me tame and comb painstakingly after mermaid swimming all day. Those braids were still hard to get out! Sometimes I didn't have time to do more than rinse fresh water shower at beach before show. Thanks leave in Cond! It saved my hair life and got me dinner ready fast.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
Do pack a mini medicine bag (ie Advil, bandages, etc) Never know when you will need something and if you go to the health center on the ship they are gonna charge you $$$$$ to get it.

Sent from iPhone
have to say I totally disagree with this. I never pack these things. you can easily pick them up at guest services or from the shops. if you go to guest services there is no charge. if you go to the shops it is slightly more expensive than a drug store but not by much. its not $$$$. rather than having to pack it all and then unpack it I pick it up as needed.
having said this, I don't have small children so that could change your mind. the most I have ever needed to pick up from the shops was a few asprins until I found I could get them at guest services. oh, and the odd bandage for dh when he got a blister. that was guest services to.
for me with packing, less is more....
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #34
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Very helpful thread - thank you! We are going on our first (ever) cruise (on the Dream) in December 2013 - so I'm enjoying learning what people take & don't take.

May I ask what the pop up hamper is for? I'm assuming dirty clothes?

Since there is no iron, do people bring their clothes in hanging bags?
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.
I don't care for H2O either. Though the stuff on the ship (is concierge level's shampoo different than the rest of the ship?), which someone said here is H2O plus, wasn't AS bad as the stuff at the resorts. But I still used my Aveda after trying it once. I have several cheapie bottles that are marked as being 3.4 oz, and I put my shampoo and conditioner and sunscreen etc in them, put them in my 311 baggie, and I'm prepared. If I like the hotel's shampoo (like Royal Pacific and Portofino Bay's Lather products are amazing for me) I use that, but if not I have my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
We used to do the shoe organizer, but haven't used it the last few cruises. They are starting to keep cruisers from using them anyway, as they cause damage to the doors, so no sense in packing them anyway. They have plenty of shelves to keep things organized, IMHO.
They don't let you use the *over the door* shoe (or anything else) organizers. You can still hang them on hooks or over the closet rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenntx View Post

Yep, dirty clothes. I *love* the two hamper bags I got at Walgreens a few years back! So easy! They are mesh-sided, so the clothing gets air, and they are easily moved around if needed.

There are irons in the laundry rooms. But I personally just send things out to be ironed by the laundry staff; hardly costs anything, and it saves me time and effort. Brilliant, that cruiselines have people who will do that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #36
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the shampoo wasn't my favorite, but it did the job. I did pack body wash, though..... And luckily the on board store sells razors because I forgot mine!

I forgot to add tumblers and travel mugs for drink station runs!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #37
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

I absolutely bring OTC medication with me. Last time I had to buy some Dramamine for a particularly rough night and let me tell you, we got GOUGED at the gift shop. And I know you can get analgesics at guest services or the shops, but I'd much rather just get back to my room, take a couple of ibuprofen, and be done with it. I don't bring a Costco-sized bottle of Advil or anything, but small pills take up very little room and are a lifesaver if, say, you wake up in the middle of the night with indigestion and the shops aren't open or it's a long haul in your pajamas to guest services for some Tums. I always bring ibuprofen, Tums or other antacid, Benadryl, Dramamine, Lactaid and Immodium. Particularly if you're susceptible to motion sickness or have a sensitive stomach.

On the other hand, we've never traveled with a pop-up hamper. We have a nylon laundry bag that folds up into itself in like 2 inches. All clothes go in there with the drawstring and then at the end of the trip, they get dumped in a suitcase.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #38
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

the oddest thing we pack is a paper cup tray (like the kind you get at a fast food restaurant). It allows one of us to get drinks for all of us. It is also very helpful if it's just me/mom or dad/mom because my mother is in a wheelchair and only has the use of one hand. It allows her to hold the cups for the 2 of us while my dad or I push her wheelchair.

The first cruise we only brought 1 but now I always make sure to have a back up because that first cruise our room steward must have thought it was garbage (even though it was on top of the desk) because he took it. When we were in Cove cafe, I saw it sitting behind the counter! Now I mark our last name and cabin number on them.

If there are any people who expect that they'll be fetching the drinks around the pool for the entire family, it's a life saver!

We bring travel cups (love our tervis tumblers) but those stay in the cabin and are generally used for coffee or tea (because the size of the room service hot cups is ridiculously small!).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #39
quarkwright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
the oddest thing we pack is a paper cup tray (like the kind you get at a fast food restaurant). It allows one of us to get drinks for all of us. It is also very helpful if it's just me/mom or dad/mom because my mother is in a wheelchair and only has the use of one hand. It allows her to hold the cups for the 2 of us while my dad or I push her wheelchair.

The first cruise we only brought 1 but now I always make sure to have a back up because that first cruise our room steward must have thought it was garbage (even though it was on top of the desk) because he took it. When we were in Cove cafe, I saw it sitting behind the counter! Now I mark our last name and cabin number on them.

If there are any people who expect that they'll be fetching the drinks around the pool for the entire family, it's a life saver!

We bring travel cups (love our tervis tumblers) but those stay in the cabin and are generally used for coffee or tea (because the size of the room service hot cups is ridiculously small!).
I like this idea, and it is probably not one a lot of people would think of, but I can definitely picture being asked to schlepp drinks back to the room for my whole family.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
wcw57
DIS Veteran

never: shoe organizer, extension cords, beer

Next time: large clothing baggies for dirty clothes....smarter that white garbage bags I use now
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #41
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Excedrin Migraine OTC medicine. Unfortunately, I tend to wake up with a migraine on occasion, and I don't want to go hunting for it.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
the oddest thing we pack is a paper cup tray (like the kind you get at a fast food restaurant).
We do this too - saw it on these boards before we left on our first cruise and it was SO useful! We didn't have any issues with the room steward taking it, but it's a good idea to put your name/room number on it.

Also this time we will be packing a small flashlight - after reading about the loss of power at night on the Grandeur during the fire.

I will NOT be packing as many snacks this time - there is way too much food available on the boat! Will still need some for the plane ride over to Europe, but we'll have plenty of food on the boat and will be doing gelato everywhere we go for excursions

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013

Last edited by canadakath; 06-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #43
tluther5406
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenntx View Post
Very helpful thread - thank you! We are going on our first (ever) cruise (on the Dream) in December 2013 - so I'm enjoying learning what people take & don't take.

Instead of the pop up hamper for laundry, we use the Ziploc Big Bags XL or XXL. They pretty much work like space saver bags. Once full, you can sit on the bag to get all the air out. The dirty clothes take up much less space going back than the clean clothes coming thus leaving room for purchases!

If you have a sensitive stomach, Immodium is always a good idea. I have read on the boards that the infirmary will quarantine you to your room if you go there instead.
tluther5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #44
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
I absolutely bring OTC medication with me. Last time I had to buy some Dramamine for a particularly rough night and let me tell you, we got GOUGED at the gift shop. And I know you can get analgesics at guest services or the shops, but I'd much rather just get back to my room, take a couple of ibuprofen, and be done with it. I don't bring a Costco-sized bottle of Advil or anything, but small pills take up very little room and are a lifesaver if, say, you wake up in the middle of the night with indigestion and the shops aren't open or it's a long haul in your pajamas to guest services for some Tums. I always bring ibuprofen, Tums or other antacid, Benadryl, Dramamine, Lactaid and Immodium. Particularly if you're susceptible to motion sickness or have a sensitive stomach.

On the other hand, we've never traveled with a pop-up hamper. We have a nylon laundry bag that folds up into itself in like 2 inches. All clothes go in there with the drawstring and then at the end of the trip, they get dumped in a suitcase.

I thought that Bonine type medicine was available for free on the ships? :

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #45
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
Yeah, the shampoo wasn't my favorite, but it did the job. I did pack body wash, though..... And luckily the on board store sells razors because I forgot mine!

I forgot to add tumblers and travel mugs for drink station runs!
Just want to say that there was a jarful of disposable razors in the ladies locker room in the spa. Dh didn't notice if there were any in the men's locker room. But I would think there would be. He just didn't notice.

I brought insulated cups but ended up buying a new Tervis in one of the shops anyway. I don't care for the shampoo but dh and my teen boys were fine with it. I brought my own and my own body wash. I also always bring a cheap nylon puff to use with body wash. Then I just toss it in the trash at the end of the trip. A small can of air freshener is a MUST. Especially when sharing a room with teen boys! Phew!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: