Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #61
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I've shared this story before......

In the Walt Disney Theater for a show one time. Little girl behind me, probably 6 years old??...not sure, but old enough to be told to sit quietly.

When she WAS sitting, she kicked the back of my seat...and it had nothing to do with her little legs being so short that she couldn't help bumping the seat in front of her.
Most of the time she walked back and forth behind me, with her hands on the back of my seat, and my neighbor's. I had long hair then, so every time she grabbed my seat, she pulled my hair.

At first, I turned and looked at her mother...without any real expression on my face, just hoping to get her attention so she'd notice what the little one was doing.
Finally, I had to say something to the mother. I told her (quietly and as politely as I could) that the little one was pulling my hair, and could she please sit down. Of course, mama bear went BERSERK. She went on and on about how "this is a DISNEY CRUISE and that means it's for KIDS and if you don't like it, then you shouldn't be here....blah blah blah....."

I was so shocked, I didn't say a word back to her. I could not believe that just because it's a DISNEY CRUISE, that meant that her child did not have to practice good manners.

We traveled extensively with our kids, and they knew the rules from the beginning. NO running in the hallways (or around the dinner table, which we've seen MANY times on the cruises) NO loud talking, no screaming, etc, etc etc. If they did, they knew they'd be confined to the room for an indeterminate amount of time. And we wouldn't take them the next time.

Parents need to be parents....and quit trying to be their kids' best friend.
I always do enjoy the "You have to put up with my allowing my bored child to kick your seat and pull your hair, because it's DISNEY and Disney is for kids."
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #62
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I'm a big fan of making my kids "practice". At 3, if DD was running down the hallway she got to walk back to where she started and practice walking down the hall again. Not just on board. In the hall at the Y, next to the pool, down the hall at church, really anywhere running was dangerous (as in she could bump/trip people or slip or get lost in a crowd.)
She hates practicing and would rather sit in the hall in public for a timeout. But she walks where she's supposed to for the most part. And if she isn't "in touch" (like within two steps) when walking in public places, you'd better believe I end up holding her hand.
In my experience, my kids get away with what I let them get away with.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #63
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
in my experience, my kids get away with what i let them get away with.
exactly!! Well said!!
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #64
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
Okay, I'm going to come clean… Besides, given the number of times this happens, and the fact that the only people who've posted so far are those bothered by it, I think it's clear those of us who are guilty are lurking quietly.
So the first few days of our cruise, I walked the hall with my four-year-old and didn't really think twice when he ran or spoke loudly. It wasn't until our third day when I heard kids running through the hall that I realized HOW loud it truly was. You can rest assured that after that our rules changed. You have my sincere apologies for the first few days! Honestly, given my insistence in making sure he behaves politely, kindly and respectfully, I can't believe I so completely spaced out on this one...
Again, you have my apologies and can be assured that this will not happen on future cruises. :-)
Apologies accepted, we live and learn.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #65
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
Well yes, but it's so much more fun to complain about terrible parents and lament about how our society has gone downhill than it is to point out that I would take a herd of 4 year olds over one drunk adult any day.

Agreed. If someone is going to act like a child, it should actually be a child.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #66
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

A little tip about the stateroom doors on cruise ships:

There is a vacuum created in the room when the door is being opened or closed. You can't just walk out of the room and expect that the door will close tightly on its own.
Just as you can't walk out of the bedroom in your own home and expect the door to close by itself.....you need to take the couple of seconds to place your hand on the door handle, and close the door. Give it a little pull, and it will shut tightly.
It does NOT need to be slammed.

People should be grateful that the balcony doors on DCL are sliders. On some of the other cruise lines, they're actual doors...and people run in and out and just the let door slam shut ALL THE TIME. And thanks to the powers that be who design the rooms, it almost always happens that the head of your bed will be on the same wall (or as close as possible) as the neighbor's balcony (slamming) door. And there's really not a darn thing you can do about it.

Some people are just completely thoughtless. It's that whole "ME ME ME" mentality. And people do a lot of things when they're on vacation that they would never do at home.....like cleaning up after themselves if they spill food or drink......just one example.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #67
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
This is interesting for you to point out because on our last cruise (14 nights, WBPC) our door had issues closing properly. Maintenance was out several times to try and fix it. Got better but never really solved. We HAD to let it slam to for it to shut all the way.

Sorry neighbors.
Were you my neighbor? I understand if door can't close properly...but I have seen people let go of the door when fully open, whole hallaway shakes when door slam shut

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #68
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Agreed. If someone is going to act like a child, it should actually be a child.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #69
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

The issue to me seems to be that the threshold for what some people consider acceptable behavior both for themselves and their children ends up being the lowest common denominator of acceptability, rather than striving for the highest levels of common courtesy and respect for their fellow passengers. If you wouldn't act or allow your kids to act that way at home, why is it more acceptable to act that way on vacation?

Are we really at a point where the attitude of some (most?) people is "I paid good money for this vacation so my children and I will do what the heck we want to do when we want to do it"?
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #70
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

At the risk of coming across as being rude I am going to ask the question anyway.

From some of the comments in this thread, it seems like people expect the hallways to be practically silent 24 hours a day.

I understand expecting people to adhere to it during the requested quiet hours of 10pm to 8am but it sounds like people here are requesting that you are quiet and practically make no noise all day long.

I'll admit it, during the day I let my kids run down the hall. They weren't noisy, they weren't screaming, they weren't talking loudly, they weren't banging on the walls or doors, but yes they would run down the hall. There aren't a lot of places to really run around the ship. Yes there is deck 4, but it was frequently closed due to high winds and I'd rather them not run in front of runners. They are just burning off a little extra energy in an area where there are less likely to be a lot of people. They weren't allowed to run around corners just on the straight aways and were only allowed to get a few doors ahead of us at a time.

Would I let them do it early in the morning or in the evening? No. This was a 10am to 6pm thing. And you know what, I would probably do it again.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #71
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

I would never let my 8 and 10 year old boys run down the hall because with my luck that would be the time a mom or Dad would be coming out of their cabin with a baby in their arms! Or anyone for that matter.

It's my opinion that running is for outdoors or up on the jogging deck

that's just my 2 cents

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #72
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I always do enjoy the "You have to put up with my allowing my bored child to kick your seat and pull your hair, because it's DISNEY and Disney is for kids."
Basically what I get every time I hear this is that "I'm on vacation from parenting and they're your problem and I don't want to be a parent cause.......I'm on vacation.....etc. etc. etc.

Well, I'm on vacation, too, and I love Disney cruising with or without our kids, but I certainly don't expect children to be "allowed" bad behavior and ill-manners just because they are on "vacation". We have had the running up and down and slamming doors for a straight hour on our last cruise and I finally opened our door and told them to knock it off or I was calling security -- and they did. Never did see or hear a parent get involved. We've also come across very young (too young to be roaming decks on their own) children going up to the soda station at night, alone, unsupervised and riding the elevator. The two times this happened, NONE of them were older than eight! Midnight, and your kids are roaming the ship alone! Very troubling!

On our Panama Canal trip in 2005, we came across dozens of teenagers laying all over the steps and walkways on many decks at all hours and talking about how bored they were. At some areas, we couldn't even pass. Someone called security and they were cleared away and told not to do it again! Again, I guess the parents don't have to parent while THEY are on vacation, so the rest of us have to parent other people's kids not only for their safety, but for our sanity

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #73
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Agreed with PPs, from what I observed the number of unsupervised children roaming the ship seems to be worse on 3 day cruises. There was a band of three or four tween boys who were having a great old time playing with the midship elevators at about 10 p.m. I finally told them to knock it off, or I would call security.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #74
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
Were you my neighbor? I understand if door can't close properly...but I have seen people let go of the door when fully open, whole hallaway shakes when door slam shut
Haha, I have no idea. We are usually very careful with our door and do not allow it to slam. No manner of cajoling would have it close properly. We tried several ways while waiting for the maintenance guys to arrive. It seemed to be "falling" on its hinges a bit so the doorjamb was not quite square.

It did get better (in that it closed at all) after three visits to try to fix it, but they explained to us that it needed that extra hard contact to get it to "seat" properly.

Hopefully one of those things they will fix when the Wonder goes into dry dock.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #75
Kitster
Crazy about Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
I don't understand it. I'm a Mom of three boys, all in their twenties now. They grew up going to Disneyworld and one thing we always stressed to them, is to be quiet leaving our room and NEVER run where people are possibly asleep. So why, why do soooo many parents allow this behavior on the ship? Don't they get that people are asleep at every hour of the day on the ship, late into the mornings, naps in the afternoons and obviously at night? Somebody please explain this to me.
This is the reason I will NEVER book a Deck 2 room again on the Magic or the Wonder. Ever since they move the Edge into the old conference rooms, the number of kids running in the halls is completely out of hand.

Disney Wonder: 11/2002; 11/2004; 11/2005; 9/2006; 9/2009
Disney Magic: 12/2010 (B2B Christmas cruise)
Celebrity Millenium (Alaska): 6/2011
Disney Fantasy MV: 3/2012
Disney Dream: 10/2013 B2B
NCL Pride of America 7 night Hawaiian cruise then Disney's Aulani: 1/31 - 2/16/2015 (BD celebration)
Kitster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: