Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenf67 View Post
Great advice thanks! We sail in November. You considering a trip report? I would love to see what you got up to on the cruise.
I don't plan on doing a trip report, but I will be happy to answer any questions. We took two excursions. We went to the deluxe stingray snorkel excursion in Grand Caymen and the Playa Mia excursion in Cozumel.

We booked our excursions through Disney. When we got to our rooms the first day, our excursion tickets were waiting for us. They listed the name of the excursion, the time to meet, and the place on the ship to meet.

For both excursions, we met in the Buena Vista Theatre. The first meeting was at 10:15 and the second was at 10:45. We got to the room and they checked that the adults had photo ID, everyone had a room key, and everyone had an excursion ticket.

Then we were given a colored wristband and a Disney sticker to wear on our shirt. Each excursion had a different character. Then we were told to sit in a certain row. Once everyone was checked in, we proceeded off of the ship. We were given towels.

When we got to the pier, we lined up behind the person holding the Disney character. Then we boarded buses and were driven to the location. When we finished the excursion, the buses drove back to the pier.

After the snorkel excursion when we got back to the pier, Disney had drinks waiting for us, along with wet washcloths. That was very nice.

The excursions were stress free and Disney did a wonderful job in making sure everyone knew where to go and what to do.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
We just got off as well. On our drive home now. Hoping to make it there sometime early tomorrow.

Sent from iPhone
I hope you had a great time! We were disappointed that it rained on our Castaway Cay day, but we got in a great bicycle ride and lunch. The weather on the rest of the cruise wasn't bad at all.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
Jenntx
Mouseketeer
 
Jenntx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 279

Thank you for sharing the things you learned on your first DCL cruise. Very helpful! My DH & I are going on our first (ever!) cruise (Disney Dream) in December for our anniversary. We want to learn all we can prior to our trip. If you think I more tips please share them. Thanks!!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandisneyfamof4 View Post
You will need photo ID at each port not for DCL, but local customs in order to get back into the port area

Thank you. Its been abt 4 yrs since we've been to a port in the caribbean and never had to take photo id to show to ports. Good to know. Of couse we will be traveling with passports and drivers liciense but try to leave passports on ship
supercrossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
kapoof
DIS Veteran
 
kapoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 2,821

Thanks blue star for all the info! If you buy items at cast away or on the ship do you have to declare them at customs also?
__________________


me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
Thanks blue star for all the info! If you buy items at cast away or on the ship do you have to declare them at customs also?
We only declared what we purchased in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We didn't make any purchases on Castaway Cay.

I forgot to mention about the laundry service. We stayed on deck 7. The laundry was at the end of the ship near stateroom 7016. There is a small touch screen where you choose the number for the washer or dryer. They had three washers and five dryers. Then you swipe your card and confirm your purchase.

The washers have different cycles depending on what type of wash you wanted to do. We found that the light cycle (26 minutes) was fine. The washers are very small. What you think might be one load will really turn out to be three.

The dryers all take 45 minutes. The cost is $2.00 per load to wash and $2.00 per load to dry. I was glad that I brought a pop-up hamper with me on the cruise because it made carrying the laundry very easy.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenntx View Post
Thank you for sharing the things you learned on your first DCL cruise. Very helpful! My DH & I are going on our first (ever!) cruise (Disney Dream) in December for our anniversary. We want to learn all we can prior to our trip. If you think I more tips please share them. Thanks!!
How exciting! I am sure you will have a wonderful anniversary trip. I was like you and wanted to learn everything I could before my first cruise. I was very nervous doing something I had never done before. I think you will be very impressed with the service and how organized Disney makes everything from boarding the ship to going on excursions.

We were on the Fantasy and the ship was so clean. The service was wonderful.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Another thing I just thought of is tips.

Before the end of your cruise, you will find receipts on your bed that list the tips that will be charged to your account for the server, assistant server, head server, and stateroom host. If you want to decrease or increase these amounts, you can go to guest services and have them make adjustments.

They will also include envelopes for each of the service people. They ask that you put the receipt in the envelope and hand them to the employees at the end of the trip. You can also add cash if you feel like tipping above the amount on the receipt.

If you don't hand the envelope to the employee, they will still get the amount on the receipt.

For room service, you can tip in cash or just add the tip to the receipt you sign.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer
 
flyersfan1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Flyers Country
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
I don't plan on doing a trip report, but I will be happy to answer any questions. We took two excursions. We went to the deluxe stingray snorkel excursion in Grand Caymen and the Playa Mia excursion in Cozumel.

We booked our excursions through Disney. When we got to our rooms the first day, our excursion tickets were waiting for us. They listed the name of the excursion, the time to meet, and the place on the ship to meet.

For both excursions, we met in the Buena Vista Theatre. The first meeting was at 10:15 and the second was at 10:45. We got to the room and they checked that the adults had photo ID, everyone had a room key, and everyone had an excursion ticket.

Then we were given a colored wristband and a Disney sticker to wear on our shirt. Each excursion had a different character. Then we were told to sit in a certain row. Once everyone was checked in, we proceeded off of the ship. We were given towels.

When we got to the pier, we lined up behind the person holding the Disney character. Then we boarded buses and were driven to the location. When we finished the excursion, the buses drove back to the pier.

After the snorkel excursion when we got back to the pier, Disney had drinks waiting for us, along with wet washcloths. That was very nice.

The excursions were stress free and Disney did a wonderful job in making sure everyone knew where to go and what to do.
How was Playa Mia? We are booking that for our 8/31 cruise and my DS is very excited about it.
__________________
flyersfan1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1129 View Post
How was Playa Mia? We are booking that for our 8/31 cruise and my DS is very excited about it.
We liked it. They have a large pool that is was not crowded at all. After being on the ship with the very crowded Disney pools, it was nice to have space to actually swim.

They have a water play area for the smaller kids and water slides for the bigger kids. The stretch of beach is small. There are several rows of beach chairs lined up. In the water, they have two water trampolines and an inflatable mountain with a water slide. In order to swim out to it, they require that you wear a life vest. We took three teens and they said it was a long swim out there. They really liked it though.

You can also use the kayaks and paddle boats at no cost. They had a pinata for the kids and a water balloon toss. Included is a Mexican buffet and unlimited drinks. The buffet was not that great, so I wouldn't expect much. Just average food. My husband enjoyed his pina coladas though. We brought one dollar bills for tipping of the drinks they brought to us at our beach chairs. There was also a row of hammocks.

To get to the beach, you ride on very nice buses. I think the drive took around 20 minutes. All in all, we had a good time. I think it's much better than going to the beach on our own, but it's not nearly as good as say an excursion at a resort like Atlantis in the Bahamas. It was a fun beach day with lots to do.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer
 
flyersfan1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Flyers Country
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
We liked it. They have a large pool that is was not crowded at all. After being on the ship with the very crowded Disney pools, it was nice to have space to actually swim.

They have a water play area for the smaller kids and water slides for the bigger kids. The stretch of beach is small. There are several rows of beach chairs lined up. In the water, they have two water trampolines and an inflatable mountain with a water slide. In order to swim out to it, they require that you wear a life vest. We took three teens and they said it was a long swim out there. They really liked it though.

You can also use the kayaks and paddle boats at no cost. They had a pinata for the kids and a water balloon toss. Included is a Mexican buffet and unlimited drinks. The buffet was not that great, so I wouldn't expect much. Just average food. My husband enjoyed his pina coladas though. We brought one dollar bills for tipping of the drinks they brought to us at our beach chairs. There was also a row of hammocks.

To get to the beach, you ride on very nice buses. I think the drive took around 20 minutes. All in all, we had a good time. I think it's much better than going to the beach on our own, but it's not nearly as good as say an excursion at a resort like Atlantis in the Bahamas. It was a fun beach day with lots to do.
Thanks! My son fell in love with the pictures of the water slides, he can't wait.
__________________
flyersfan1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!
 
DisneyDudet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 892

I did Playa Mia on while on a Carnival cruise. I really liked it. The unlimited drinks was a nice plus The buffet would have been good, if we weren't having to compare it to a cruise buffet There were a few cruises that had stopped there that day, and it didn't feel too busy. I liked the seating area for the lunch.

I went a few months after the Fantasy set sail. When I went to the Gold CC Member Mixer, I asked the cruise director, Ray, about playing all the horns. They hadn't done it for the Fantasy at that time. BUT, because I asked, they played all the horns at an announced, designated time (I got a card and phone call from Ray to let me know that my request had been granted :good vibes: )
My question is.... Did they designate a time at all where they would play all the horns at once? I've seen some Navigators that had them listed, but I didn't know if they are still doing that. My DF has never been on a cruise (this is my 7th DCL cruise, my 8th cruise total), and I love the horns. This will be our Honeymoon and I want him to experience it!
__________________

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)


Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,882

They played the horns several times, but I don't know if it was at a designated time. I never noticed it on the navigators, but then I didn't read them thoroughly. I only scanned them for the activity times and show information. The horns were neat though.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
kapoof
DIS Veteran
 
kapoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
Another thing I just thought of is tips.

Before the end of your cruise, you will find receipts on your bed that list the tips that will be charged to your account for the server, assistant server, head server, and stateroom host. If you want to decrease or increase these amounts, you can go to guest services and have them make adjustments.

They will also include envelopes for each of the service people. They ask that you put the receipt in the envelope and hand them to the employees at the end of the trip. You can also add cash if you feel like tipping above the amount on the receipt.

If you don't hand the envelope to the employee, they will still get the amount on the receipt.



For room service, you can tip in cash or just add the tip to the receipt you sign.
I have a dumb tipping question. What if you can't find your server or room steward, or someone you are suppose to tip at the end of the cruise to hand it to them? Do you leave the tips in your room for them?
__________________


me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!
 
DisneyDudet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
I have a dumb tipping question. What if you can't find your server or room steward, or someone you are suppose to tip at the end of the cruise to hand it to them? Do you leave the tips in your room for them?
We usually give our servers their tips the last night, just in case. Usually we see our stateroom host/hostess multiple times a day. The last day they are usually about, as they know they are getting tips. We've never had a problem finding our staff!
__________________

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)


Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.