Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
I actually don't think it is fair at all. Smokers can enjoy their verandah at will while those who can't tolerate smoke for health reasons are not able to use ours unless our neighbors are not.
I totally agree.

I remember asking a CM at WDW years ago why they allowed smoking in the resorts when DL didn't and she defensively said it would never change. Well, she was wrong. And I hope DCL changes their smoking policy as well.
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #32
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,683

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
The REALLY GOOD NEWS FOR NON-SMOKERS is that in the entire rest of the ship, there are only two smoking sections, and they are very easily avoidable.
That is an improvement from when we first cruised with DCL. We stayed away from the adult clubs because we couldn't tolerate the smoke there. We had to leave one family activity there during the day because even though no one was smoking at the time, the smoke was still strong from the night before. Now we can enjoy going to the adult shows there and with everyone else.

Last cruise we had a verandah due to the price glitch opening day. We had smokers in the one room forward of us, but they weren't out there a lot. The one afternoon I planned to spend time out on the verandah doing my nails and reading for a little while before dinner I was chased off by CMs pressure washing the side of the ship. We didn't get any notice that this was going to be done. This was very aggravating!!! I wasn't the only one upset by the sudden blast of spray from the deck above. The CMs didn't seem to look to see if anyone was out on their verandah. The person below us had one of the extended ones and must have been sleeping on their lounger from what I heard them say. Yes, I know they clean the ship but if I had known this would be done I would have planned my afternoon differently.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #33
ColonFamilia
Mouseketeer
 
ColonFamilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 80

I would hope that DCL eventually follows the trend of the rest of the world and restricts smoking on verandas. While smokers feel that they are within their rights to smoke in areas that it's not prohibited, there is a reason why virtually every public area has restrictions on smoking: passive smoking (i.e secondhand smoke) has been scientifically proven to subject nonsmokers to almost every illness and disease that smokers voluntarily put themselves at risk of falling prey to.

While, yes, smokers pay the same as nonsmokers for their verandas, the reality is that their smoke intrudes and trespasses on the verandas of those who don't smoke.

I like to very occasionally indulge in adult beverages. I can count on one hand how many times a year I do so. When I partake in my vice which I know is not healthy for me, I don't get behind the wheel of a car because I know that getting behind the wheel of that car subjects others who chose not to drink to the dangers that I voluntarily put myself at risk of. While it may seem like a dramatic comparison, they are not much different.


A veranda only has the illusion of being a private area. The moment that the public is subjected to what people do in their verandas those verandas should be considered public and regulated in the same manner as other public access areas.

For that reason, I believe that the days of veranda smoking are numbered. In the meantime, nonsmokers should suck it up (no pun intended) and deal with it by complaining repeatedly to DCL due to the public health hazard that passive smoking causes.

With all due respect and no ill will intended to smokers, their choice to smoke should not infringe on my right to be healthy. I don't feel it infringes on their personal liberty to tell them that they can't smoke in places where others are affected by their vice.
__________________
ColonFamilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
That is an improvement from when we first cruised with DCL. We stayed away from the adult clubs because we couldn't tolerate the smoke there. We had to leave one family activity there during the day because even though no one was smoking at the time, the smoke was still strong from the night before. Now we can enjoy going to the adult shows there and with everyone else.

Last cruise we had a verandah due to the price glitch opening day. We had smokers in the one room forward of us, but they weren't out there a lot. The one afternoon I planned to spend time out on the verandah doing my nails and reading for a little while before dinner I was chased off by CMs pressure washing the side of the ship. We didn't get any notice that this was going to be done. This was very aggravating!!! I wasn't the only one upset by the sudden blast of spray from the deck above. The CMs didn't seem to look to see if anyone was out on their verandah. The person below us had one of the extended ones and must have been sleeping on their lounger from what I heard them say. Yes, I know they clean the ship but if I had known this would be done I would have planned my afternoon differently.

I always loved the aft balconies on Deck 8 on the "Classic" ships, but they always hosed off the outdoor buffet area right at about the time we were dressed for late dinner, and that's when I'd be out there taking pictures of the sunset on the water. And you're right....no warning.....
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy
 
PaceFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 138

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Balconies: Considerate smokers who want to least offend their neighbors should look at getting a balconied stateroom as far aft as possible since the smoke tends to drift back while the ship is underway. Conversely, sensitive non-smokers should look at booking their verandahs as far forward as possible, for the same reason. If that isn't possible, non-smokers need to adjust their balcony-use schedule or just tolerate the smoke.

Public Spaces: Most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.

It's important to note that shipboard personnel cannot change policy. For example, they cannot and will not ask someone to stop smoking on that person's balcony (except on cruise lines where it's prohibited), but they can and will ask someone to move to a smoking area if that person is in one that is clearly non-smoking. Avoid confrontation; let the ship's personnel handle the asking.
__________________
Disney Fantasy August 2014
Disney Dream August 2013
WDW August 2011
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #36
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonFamilia View Post

I like to very occasionally indulge in adult beverages. I can count on one hand how many times a year I do so. When I partake in my vice which I know is not healthy for me, I don't get behind the wheel of a car because I know that getting behind the wheel of that car subjects others who chose not to drink to the dangers that I voluntarily put myself at risk of. While it may seem like a dramatic comparison, they are not much different.

I'm glad that you don't drink and drive. I wish everyone felt that way.
But the sad truth is, some don't. Way way way way....(lots of way) more people have been killed by drunk drivers than those who have been killed by second hand smoke. In fact, I'm not sure if there's one true, defined, proven case where someone has died directly as a result of second hand smoke.
On a cruise ship, this is really neither here nor there. There's really no reason to even compare drinking and smoking when talking about cruising.
It's irritating that there are so many restrictions on smokers in public....taxes, etc.....but I can understand that others don't want to smell it, and it IS harmful to people with respiratory problems. But when it comes to actual true figures on which one causes more innocent deaths, there's no comparison. Using your logic, I'm not going to smoke a whole carton of cigarettes and get in my car and be so impaired that I kill someone. So in my opinion, liquor is FAR more dangerous to innocent people.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Balconies: Considerate smokers who want to least offend their neighbors should look at getting a balconied stateroom as far aft as possible since the smoke tends to drift back while the ship is underway. Conversely, sensitive non-smokers should look at booking their verandahs as far forward as possible, for the same reason. If that isn't possible, non-smokers need to adjust their balcony-use schedule or just tolerate the smoke.

Public Spaces: Most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.

It's important to note that shipboard personnel cannot change policy. For example, they cannot and will not ask someone to stop smoking on that person's balcony (except on cruise lines where it's prohibited), but they can and will ask someone to move to a smoking area if that person is in one that is clearly non-smoking. Avoid confrontation; let the ship's personnel handle the asking.


justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, and no. On our last Wonder cruise (smoking area on deck 9 starboard side) someone was smoking a cigar. Yes, we could smell it all the way back to the Mickey Pool area where we were playing cards. I've also been on deck 4 starboard (non-smoking 6am-6pm) where people were still lighting up during the non-smoking hours.

Smoke, unfortunately, doesn't realize that it has lines that it has to stay within.

I wish they didn't allow smoking on verandahs, also, but I realize that smokers are entirely within their rights to do so. That's the biggest reason I don't get verandahs.

Did you seriously walk all the way up to the smoking section to see if the person was smoking in the designated area?
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #39
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Did you seriously walk all the way up to the smoking section to see if the person was smoking in the designated area?
No, I could see him. We were seated on the starboard side in the Mickey pool area and I could smell the cigar. I could just look down the deck and he was seated at the table closest to the dividing wall, smoking up a storm.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #40
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Food for thought before I turn off the computer for the night:

If smoking were 100% banned because people can't stand the smell of it, or get sick from it (NOT including people with respiratory illnesses/issues) then are we also going to demand a ban on:

1. People who get in a crowded elevator who haven't bathed

2. Babies/toddlers with poopy diapers

3. Women/Men wearing too much perfume or cologne

4. Alcohol because you can smell it on someone's breath from 5 feet away

5. Elderly/infirm wearing Depends

I could go on, but I doubt it's necessary. Point is.....are we going to need the "Stink Police"?

Every one of the above makes me want to barf.
Remember, I said "except for people with illnesses".....smoking stinks...it truly does......but it is NOT going to kill anyone other than the person doing the smoking. Especially not during the length of a cruise.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
No, I could see him. We were seated on the starboard side in the Mickey pool area and I could smell the cigar. I could just look down the deck and he was seated at the table closest to the dividing wall, smoking up a storm.

I wish I had your eyesight! Seriously. I wouldn't be able to see that far, even with my (tri-focal) glasses on.....usually there are too many people and tables with people at them, to see that far.

By the way...not that it matters, but I really dislike the smell of cigars and pipes. But if they're in the designated area, there's not much I can do. I see your point...and that's why restaurants (well, the laws changed) gave up smoking/non-smoking sections.....because it didn't really help at all.


Isn't the rule on cruise ships different for pipes and cigars? I was thinking that they were allowed on DCL only up by Remy on the newer ships, and someplace else on the older ships? Not sure about that one.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #42
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,286

Ugh, I feel your frustration OP!! We paid tons of extra $$ back in 2006, only to open our wonderful verandah to smoking neighbors. We're booked in a verandah again in 2014, and my DH and I are in agreement, that if it happens again on day one, that we are going straight down to GS and ask to change our room. Way too expensive to waste it inside!!
__________________
My happy place
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
sambycat
DIS Veteran
 
sambycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Food for thought before I turn off the computer for the night:

If smoking were 100% banned because people can't stand the smell of it, or get sick from it (NOT including people with respiratory illnesses/issues) then are we also going to demand a ban on:

1. People who get in a crowded elevator who haven't bathed

2. Babies/toddlers with poopy diapers

3. Women/Men wearing too much perfume or cologne

4. Alcohol because you can smell it on someone's breath from 5 feet away

5. Elderly/infirm wearing Depends

I could go on, but I doubt it's necessary. Point is.....are we going to need the "Stink Police"?

Every one of the above makes me want to barf.
Remember, I said "except for people with illnesses".....smoking stinks...it truly does......but it is NOT going to kill anyone other than the person doing the smoking. Especially not during the length of a cruise.
seriously?
__________________
TDC


sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Food for thought before I turn off the computer for the night:

If smoking were 100% banned because people can't stand the smell of it, or get sick from it (NOT including people with respiratory illnesses/issues) then are we also going to demand a ban on:

1. People who get in a crowded elevator who haven't bathed

2. Babies/toddlers with poopy diapers

3. Women/Men wearing too much perfume or cologne

4. Alcohol because you can smell it on someone's breath from 5 feet away

5. Elderly/infirm wearing Depends

I could go on, but I doubt it's necessary. Point is.....are we going to need the "Stink Police"?

Every one of the above makes me want to barf.
Remember, I said "except for people with illnesses".....smoking stinks...it truly does......but it is NOT going to kill anyone other than the person doing the smoking. Especially not during the length of a cruise.
Smoking will never be 100% banned. It's been tried, and didn't work.

I agree that smokers have every right to smoke in designated areas. Personally, I think an inside area (with special filters & air lock doors) to keep the smoke confined would work, as well as an outside area. Or the one side smoking, other side not. Or aft smoking and forward not. Whatever. I don't like smoke (notice I did not say I don't like smokers), but smokers have every right to smoke wherever they are allowed to. I just wish that it didn't intrude in my "space".
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #45
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I wish I had your eyesight! Seriously. I wouldn't be able to see that far, even with my (tri-focal) glasses on.....usually there are too many people and tables with people at them, to see that far.

By the way...not that it matters, but I really dislike the smell of cigars and pipes. But if they're in the designated area, there's not much I can do. I see your point...and that's why restaurants (well, the laws changed) gave up smoking/non-smoking sections.....because it didn't really help at all.


Isn't the rule on cruise ships different for pipes and cigars? I was thinking that they were allowed on DCL only up by Remy on the newer ships, and someplace else on the older ships? Not sure about that one.
We were in port, and there weren't many people onboard. So I had a pretty clear view forward. And, my distance vision is super.

I don't know what the rules re: cigars & pipes on the classics, all I know is that particular day, there was a cigar being smoked on deck 9.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.