Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
ndabunka
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
There's a thread here about the RCCL fire, and I think it's been determined that it was NOT caused by smoking.
OK, thanks. I'll look it up

Quote:
A small fan won't work for blowing the smoke back in someone's face...seeing as how the wind with the ship's movement will also be blowing around. Trust me, I understand the frustration, but no one is breaking any rules by smoking on their balconies.
I was trying to add a bit of levity to the thread 'cause we all know where this one is going. It sounds like the fan isn't going to work too well so perhaps a can of deer piss or FART spray would work better...goes looking for the LOL emoticon
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
OK, thanks. I'll look it up

I was trying to add a bit of levity to the thread 'cause we all know where this one is going. It sounds like the fan isn't going to work too well so perhaps a can of deer piss or FART spray would work better...goes looking for the LOL emoticon

Someone once suggested spraying the offending smoker with a can of Lysol...and they really weren't kidding! Unfortunately, they were reminded that doing something like that could lead to charges of assault.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
justmestace

As far as WHY it's allowed......I don't think anyone knows the real reason why.....just a lot of "maybes". Like maybe they're trying to be fair to everyone. Or maybe because it's outdoors. Or....I don't know.....

There have been numerous threads on the subject and one common idea is to have one side of the ship be smoking, the other non-smoking.
My bet is that in the not-to-distant future, DCL will probably make all of the balconies non-smoking.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

I wish DCL would, if they are going to continue to permit smoking on balconies, restrict it to one side of the ship like the common areas. That way, smokers could choose a balcony on that side if they want to smoke, and those of us with severe allergies to smoke could make sure we pick the other side.

Everyone is happy (well, most people anyway).

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
Pooh001
Mouseketeer

Just got off Fantasy last week. Had smokers down a few verandahs . I couldn't even enjoy my view outside without my inhaler. I spoke to guest services and they said they would send a " gentle reminder " letter. That didn't work at all. I will be writing Disney and asking them to put all smokers on the back of boat so their fumes don't bother us . For the amount of money we paid for 8 people we should not be " prisoners" in our cabin until my neighbors " burn one".
Pooh001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh001 View Post
Just got off Fantasy last week. Had smokers down a few verandahs . I couldn't even enjoy my view outside without my inhaler. I spoke to guest services and they said they would send a " gentle reminder " letter. That didn't work at all. I will be writing Disney and asking them to put all smokers on the back of boat so their fumes don't bother us . For the amount of money we paid for 8 people we should not be " prisoners" in our cabin until my neighbors " burn one".

Since smoking IS allowed, what would Guest Services be able to do?

And again.....remember that those people paid a lot of money to use their balcony in any way that is allowed, too.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess
I wish DCL would, if they are going to continue to permit smoking on balconies, restrict it to one side of the ship like the common areas. That way, smokers could choose a balcony on that side if they want to smoke, and those of us with severe allergies to smoke could make sure we pick the other side.

Everyone is happy (well, most people anyway).
This would be my suggestion too!
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
justmestace

The REALLY GOOD NEWS FOR NON-SMOKERS is that in the entire rest of the ship, there are only two smoking sections, and they are very easily avoidable.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
Tinksfriend2006
Earning My Ears

Yes, we all pay extra for our balconies, however one smoking guest should not be allowed to ruin the experience for a non-smoking guest. Smoking is allowed up on some decks too. Therefore, when they need that smoke, they should go to the designated locations on the open decks. I actually wrote DCL after having a negative situation with next door neighbors smoking. The smoke can also be smelled in the cabins. This is NOT right! Some of us are allergic to this! I think people just need to be more considerate of others. I think if enough guests write DCL they will change the smoking policy.
Tinksfriend2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The REALLY GOOD NEWS FOR NON-SMOKERS is that in the entire rest of the ship, there are only two smoking sections, and they are very easily avoidable.
I agree.

Neither of us (DH and I) smoke. (He has asthma.) We've sailed DCL for 11 years, and smoke has never been an issue for us. Even on a verandah, with smokers next to us, the ship is moving too fast for it to annoy us. However, my husband has tremendous problems when walking through cosmetics departments with the fragrances everywhere. He can't go anywhere near fragrant candles either.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quick question. If there is a smoker next to you, have you ever asked them to not smoke while you were out there. There are many smokers that understand that not everyone likes it. Some smokers will actually "work" with you to maybe devise a time thing. But remember, they are allowed to smoke there. Maybe it would be nice if Disney created a "smoking floor" but for now this is a allowed practice.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #27
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
Quick question. If there is a smoker next to you, have you ever asked them to not smoke while you were out there. There are many smokers that understand that not everyone likes it. Some smokers will actually "work" with you to maybe devise a time thing. But remember, they are allowed to smoke there. Maybe it would be nice if Disney created a "smoking floor" but for now this is a allowed practice.

Yes, this has been talked about, and some people have done that, and have found that most of the smokers are usually more than happy to work with you.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #28
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinksfriend2006 View Post
Yes, we all pay extra for our balconies, however one smoking guest should not be allowed to ruin the experience for a non-smoking guest. Smoking is allowed up on some decks too. Therefore, when they need that smoke, they should go to the designated locations on the open decks. I actually wrote DCL after having a negative situation with next door neighbors smoking. The smoke can also be smelled in the cabins. This is NOT right! Some of us are allergic to this! I think people just need to be more considerate of others. I think if enough guests write DCL they will change the smoking policy.

The thing is, the balcony is also a designated area.

I know I like to go out first thing with my coffee and have a cigarette before I take my shower and get dressed. And I know a lot of people do the same. After that, I have no problem going to the other designated areas.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
I did try asking them to warn me if they were going to light up so I could close my door. I got a colorful response telling me to mind my own business, and that they were allowed to smoke on the balcony. My husband explained that we weren't asking them not to smoke, just to let us know if they were going to so we could remove ourselves from the equation. We got another colorful response and gave up.

I usually don't go for balconies, the one time I did it was pretty much unusable due to the smoking group next door. A big disappointment as it was our honeymoon and we weren't able to use the balcony at all.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, and no. On our last Wonder cruise (smoking area on deck 9 starboard side) someone was smoking a cigar. Yes, we could smell it all the way back to the Mickey Pool area where we were playing cards. I've also been on deck 4 starboard (non-smoking 6am-6pm) where people were still lighting up during the non-smoking hours.

Smoke, unfortunately, doesn't realize that it has lines that it has to stay within.

I wish they didn't allow smoking on verandahs, also, but I realize that smokers are entirely within their rights to do so. That's the biggest reason I don't get verandahs.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: