Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Why does DCL allow smoking?

I knew when I booked a verandha room that people were allowed to smoke on the verandhas, but it just so happened that we had heavey smokers right next to us, they even had more family on an inside room and they would come over to their verandha and smoke there as well, so we had to rooms of smokers all on the same balcony! When we opened our door, we got their smoke in our room, so frustrating.

Why does DCL allow smoking on the verandhas? Is it a marketing ploy knowing that most if not all smokers will pay the extra money for a balcony? They get people that like balconies plus all the smokers booking balcony rooms. ugh!

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer

I feel your pain. That would really bother me. I would prefer they use a specially ventilated room where I don't have to smell it or see it. I really feel for people who are addicted but that doesn't mean that I want to be subjected to it.
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I'd rather it not be allowed either but I wouldn't think of it as a marketing ploy.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
kcx2njdisney
Earning My Ears

Has anyone ever complained to guest services about the smoking and successfully had their room changed? For what I am paying for my balcony room, I don't think I should have to put up with that.
kcx2njdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Completely agree with both of you.

On our Galveston cruise, virtually every time I wanted to use our verandah, our neighbors were either already outside smoking or came out within a minute or two. I would hear the clink of the lighter and head in. We had four sea days and I was so looking forward to sitting on the verandah with a good book. Instead I remember exactly twice when I was able to use the verandah both of which happened to be the last sea day. As an asthmatic, it really isn't a choice for me to sit out and bear the smoke.

Our neighbors probably felt they received good value for their verandah. For me, I would have been better off with a porthole.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcx2njdisney View Post
Has anyone ever complained to guest services about the smoking and successfully had their room changed? For what I am paying for my balcony room, I don't think I should have to put up with that.
I thought of that after we got home! Duh. On the other hand, loved our steward and we had another cabin not far away.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

It's not a marketing ploy, because non-smokers book balcony rooms too.

Remember that smokers book balcony rooms on purpose, so that they can enjoy the view, and smoke, too. And they pay the same price....so, in other words, they paid as much for the right to smoke out there as you did.

I think for now, anyway...until they change their policy....they allow it because it's fair. A situation like you came upon doesn't happen very often. Usually, people are out and about, enjoying the ship and the ports, so it isn't much of a problem for non-smokers. And most of the time, if the ship is moving, the smoke blows out and away.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
ndabunka
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
I knew when I booked a verandha room that people were allowed to smoke on the verandhas, but it just so happened that we had heavey smokers right next to us, they even had more family on an inside room and they would come over to their verandha and smoke there as well, so we had to rooms of smokers all on the same balcony! When we opened our door, we got their smoke in our room, so frustrating.

Why does DCL allow smoking on the verandhas? Is it a marketing ploy knowing that most if not all smokers will pay the extra money for a balcony? They get people that like balconies plus all the smokers booking balcony rooms. ugh!
Reminder to bring a small portable fan on board for our next cruise so that I can blow all that FOUL smelling air back into the offender's face.

Does onyone here know if the fire on the Royal Carribean ship was started from someone smoking or if it was due to something mechanical on the ship itself? If it was started by a careless passenger, the cruise lines could decide to protect their interest and ban it on the balconies as well, right?
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

I actually don't think it is fair at all. Smokers can enjoy their verandah at will while those who can't tolerate smoke for health reasons are not able to use ours unless our neighbors are not.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcx2njdisney View Post

Again...since the cruise line allows smoking out there....they aren't doing anything wrong, and they paid for their balcony, too.

The only time you'd be able to be moved is if the ship weren't full. And even then, you'd take a chance that people next to that new room might be smokers, too.

The smoking threads always end up getting very heated.

You can do a search in the SEARCH function above, to read more about the smoking policies onboard.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Reminder to bring a small portable fan on board for our next cruise so that I can blow all that FOUL smelling air back into the offender's face.

Does onyone here know if the fire on the Royal Carribean ship was started from someone smoking or if it was due to something mechanical on the ship itself? If it was started by a careless passenger, the cruise lines could decide to protect their interest and ban it on the balconies as well, right?

There's a thread here about the RCCL fire, and I think it's been determined that it was NOT caused by smoking.

A small fan won't work for blowing the smoke back in someone's face...seeing as how the wind with the ship's movement will also be blowing around. Trust me, I understand the frustration, but no one is breaking any rules by smoking on their balconies.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
nu2dvc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
I actually don't think it is fair at all. Smokers can enjoy their verandah at will while those who can't tolerate smoke for health reasons are not able to use ours unless our neighbors don't.
I completely agree. It's not like you can just walk away to a different area... you are forced to go back in your stateroom. The same thing happened to me the one time we booked a verandah. I've since taken 3 cruises - all with OV room and will just do oceanview from here on in... just not worth the extra money considering I could not tolerate the verandah if there were a smoker next door.
nu2dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
I actually don't think it is fair at all. Smokers can enjoy their verandah at will while those who can't tolerate smoke for health reasons are not able to use ours unless our neighbors are not.

My take on people with illnesses and allergies: It is up to YOU to protect yourself. If you know that a cruise line allows people to smoke on their balconies, then it's up to YOU to NOT get a balcony room, in order to protect yourself.

You can't blame someone who's not breaking any rules if you get sick.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

In fairly sure the OP understands that smoking is allowed and smokers weren't doing anything wrong. It's a vent on why DCL allows it in the first place.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
My take on people with illnesses and allergies: It is up to YOU to protect yourself. If you know that a cruise line allows people to smoke on their balconies, then it's up to YOU to NOT get a balcony room, in order to protect yourself.

You can't blame someone who's not breaking any rules if you get sick.
LOL about these threads getting heated. I remember when that happened on the resorts forum before WDW banned smoking on balconies. Hopefully, DCL will follow their lead.

I don't blame the smokers as I am fully aware they were not breaking any rule. And I did protect myself by not going on my verandah if they were already there and coming in the second I heard the Zippo click. Nonetheless, they received good value for their verandah and I did not.

To say I should avoid verandah cabins to protect my health is pretty funny. My favorite part of a cruise is the verandah. I will pray our next neighbors don't smoke continuously. If it happens again I will inquire about moving. And I will begin to investigate lines which forbid it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: