Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Does anyone else read Capt. Albert's blog?

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

He is a Capt on HAL, and writes a great blog on the daily life of a ship's captain. He addresses the role of the pilots in various ports. I remember a time or two of a pilot being later than scheduled and the consequences of the ship getting into port later than planned, etc.

Interesting reads. He is not currently on the ship so there have been no updates lately, but you can read past entries.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

and there have been times my dad has just overridden the captain

Well you may have seen that but, on my ships my crew had no doubts who was in Command and the pilot COULD not over ride the Captain . . . this was discussed in every 'entering port briefing' for the bridge crew - held before entering every port with the bridge team and b4 the pilot came aboard.

My simple statement: "The Captain has the CONN" ended any confusion. Yes, if I did something contrary to pilot's recommendations I'd better be prepared to pay the price if things went wrong but I'll refer BACK to the incident I quoted. That Master WENT TO JAIL for failure to ignore the pilot's advice ... and the pilot paid for giving the bad advice.

The Captain is responsible and has the DUTY to ensure safe navigation - pilot not withstanding - except in a few limited circumstances.

Trivia - we've mention Canal Zones as exceptions where pilots are more than advisors. Another exception is (usually) when a ship enters a dry dock. A ship is normally brought into dry dock "dead ship" meaning everything is off and tugs control the event. Once the ship crosses the 'sill' of the dry dock (or floating dock) ... meaning once the ship penetrates the dry dock however slightly . . . . the yard pilot has the responsibility, not the ship's Master. The MASTER can STOP the evolution until the sill is crossed - after that it is out of the Master's hands as far as responsibility. The exact moment of this transfer is announced to the bridge team and logged for legal documentation.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I think someone mentioned that the great lakes between Canada and the US require pilots. I think I heard somewhere that it only applies to foreign flagged, meaning ships that are flagged for any country other than Canada or the US. That was one of the difficulties that lead to the shutdown of the fast ferry between Toronto and Rochester, since the owners of the ferry company had decided to try and save money on paying either US or Canadian taxes and wages by registering it in the bahamas even though it only sailed in lake Ontario. So because it was foreign flag despite being owned by a company in Rochester and in it's second year being run by a company from Canada they had to have a pilot on board for all trips.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
and there have been times my dad has just overridden the captain

Well you may have seen that but, on my ships my crew had no doubts who was in Command and the pilot COULD not over ride the Captain . . . this was discussed in every 'entering port briefing' for the bridge crew - held before entering every port with the bridge team and b4 the pilot came aboard.

My simple statement: "The Captain has the CONN" ended any confusion. Yes, if I did something contrary to pilot's recommendations I'd better be prepared to pay the price if things went wrong but I'll refer BACK to the incident I quoted. That Master WENT TO JAIL for failure to ignore the pilot's advice ... and the pilot paid for giving the bad advice.

The Captain is responsible and has the DUTY to ensure safe navigation - pilot not withstanding - except in a few limited circumstances.

Trivia - we've mention Canal Zones as exceptions where pilots are more than advisors. Another exception is (usually) when a ship enters a dry dock. A ship is normally brought into dry dock "dead ship" meaning everything is off and tugs control the event. Once the ship crosses the 'sill' of the dry dock (or floating dock) ... meaning once the ship penetrates the dry dock however slightly . . . . the yard pilot has the responsibility, not the ship's Master. The MASTER can STOP the evolution until the sill is crossed - after that it is out of the Master's hands as far as responsibility. The exact moment of this transfer is announced to the bridge team and logged for legal documentation.
Totally correct !

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: