Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo3PrincessesInNJ View Post

Here's CBPs prohibited items information:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ightedArticles

Will everyone get caught? Of course not. But handbags are specifically mentioned so I wouldn't chance it.
Ok, so how do they know you bought it there? If you had it when you boarded the ship can they still take it? And according to this list, each person can have one item. Does that mean I can have a purse and so can my husband? I'm thinking if you're carrying it out with all your stuff in it they wouldn't say anything?

One of my favorite souvenirs from a few years ago was a Kate Spade knock off. For the OP, I got it in the straw market but it sounds like that might not be the case anymore?

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
MelSpees
Mouseketeer

My question is: why buy it when you know it's illegal--and you might get in trouble for it? Is it really that important to be trendy? Get a nice non-designer bag if you don't want to pay the designer price (I don't). They hold things just the same, look nice (if you pick well) and you can feel good about it.

DW Author DH Retired USN Officer and Teacher 1st time DCL Cruisers
MelSpees is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

They used to sell them for many years at the straw market in Nassau. That was when they were in the white tent. They even has then at one time when they weren't using the tent and were set up on the street under the sports tents.

. Now that they are back in a building they cannot sell them anymore because it is a government owned building.

But if you ask they will tell you or show you where you can find them. But because now there is less supply and more demand the prices are too high. You are better off getting the real thing for a few dollars more at the outlets in Orlando,
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to share...

I dated a lawyer for five years who went after bootleggers (when people used to buy albums and tapes.) He knew a lawyer here in Dallas who went after counterfeit Rolex watches. Well, guess what? I was given a choice one day to pick out one of the 'Rolexes.' My lawyer friend kept raving about it "wow, that looks SO REAL." I'd no problem taking it (I don't have a problem with knock-offs.) Wonder what these lawyers do with the knock-off bags?

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

Please, please don't buy fake bags. Not only are they ripping off designers and are illegal in pretty much every country in the world, but the factories in which they are made are horrific in terms of things like child labor. They have been linked to organized crime, terrorism, and many other terrible things. There are countless reasons not to buy them, and I could fill pages and pages here (but I won't, since this is a Disney board, and not a purse forum). It may seem harmless, but it's not. They aren't often policed well in less-affluent countries, or countries with higher crime rates, because it's hard to fund task forces to manage it, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

A few links that might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/bu...fake.html?_r=0

http://www.theclosetonlineshop.com/t...e-good-or-bad/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/bu...e.4569452.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/shop...-98384889.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/stole...ations-2011-12
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

It is illegal to sell knock offs and it is illegal to purchase them. This is the norm everywhere. Whether or not it is enforced is another issue, but if you get caught you will pay the consequences. Say no to Piracy and make the world a better place.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #22
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3rndpt View Post
Please, please don't buy fake bags. Not only are they ripping off designers and are illegal in pretty much every country in the world, but the factories in which they are made are horrific in terms of things like child labor. They have been linked to organized crime, terrorism, and many other terrible things. There are countless reasons not to buy them, and I could fill pages and pages here (but I won't, since this is a Disney board, and not a purse forum). It may seem harmless, but it's not. They aren't often policed well in less-affluent countries, or countries with higher crime rates, because it's hard to fund task forces to manage it, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

A few links that might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/bu...fake.html?_r=0

http://www.theclosetonlineshop.com/t...e-good-or-bad/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/bu...e.4569452.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/shop...-98384889.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/stole...ations-2011-12
Wow, I had no idea. I've never bought any knocks offs but never had a problem with them either. This thread has been very informative!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
kittychatalot
DVC since 02/09 BLT

ohoh- All of Canal Street in NY NY ..

would cease to exist if they stopped selling knock off bags. I mean really- anyone can tell they are a knock off. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that customs would confiscate. I have a feeling that Coach will survive a few dupes!

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life....You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures..." Walt Disney
kittychatalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan888 View Post
It is illegal to sell knock offs and it is illegal to purchase them. This is the norm everywhere. Whether or not it is enforced is another issue, but if you get caught you will pay the consequences. Say no to Piracy and make the world a better place.
I assume people buy the knockoffs because they are far cheaper than the real thing. Is it that the knockoffs use inferior quality materials? Or that the designers mark up their products too much?

I think the designers are doing themselves a disservice by marking up the bags so much. If they charged reasonable prices for their merchandise the copy cats would be greatly reduced.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

The quality is very inferior. That's how they're able to sell them so cheap. If you've seen the real thing you can see a vast difference and can easily spot a knock off. I appreciate the PP who had the links about the horrible labor practices associated with a knock off. I'm glad to hear there's a crack down on this business and exposure to how insidious it really is.

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDenver View Post
The quality is very inferior. That's how they're able to sell them so cheap. If you've seen the real thing you can see a vast difference and can easily spot a knock off. I appreciate the PP who had the links about the horrible labor practices associated with a knock off. I'm glad to hear there's a crack down on this business and exposure to how insidious it really is.
Good points. I don't think bad labor practice only happen in factories making knock off products. What is really appalling are the factory working conditions in the factories making real I-Phones. Several people committed suicide after working in those sweatshops. I mean come on Apple you are selling phones for $600+ do you really need to find a manufacture that will make them for $5? Even if you paid $20 a piece that is still a $580 profit.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
tweis
DIS Veteran

Just got off the Dream today and was in Nassau on Friday and I do not recall seeing any of the purses that I saw last year in Nassau. They may still have them but they certainly weren't everywhere like they were before. The Coach outlet in my area has very good prices on purses and wallets during the holidays, maybe you could look into that or the outlets in Orlando.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #28
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

I bought one at the Straw Market a few years ago and I would never waste my monty on another one. The straps cracked with a couple of months and then it was no usuable. Who wants everyone to KNOW you have a knock off?
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #29
cruisinaz
Mouseketeer

Was in There in December....in the straw market, ask one of the vendors where you get the purses, they will then take u up a street behind the marker (sorry I can't remember the street or store name). The store is about a block up from the market on the left on the second story of a building. I went for the adventure..didn't find any I liked but they had hundreds and the prices weren't great...I got one cheaper a few years ago in Costa Maya.

Disneyland/California Adventure April, 2011; April 2010; May 2009

Other cruise lines:
Carnival Breeze - December 2, 2012
Oasis of the Seas - December 11, 2010
Jewel of the Seas - December, 2005
Sensation - September, 2005
Destiny - December, 2004
Paradise - May, 2004
Holiday - May, 2001
cruisinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Good points. I don't think bad labor practice only happen in factories making knock off products. What is really appalling are the factory working conditions in the factories making real I-Phones. Several people committed suicide after working in those sweatshops. I mean come on Apple you are selling phones for $600+ do you really need to find a manufacture that will make them for $5? Even if you paid $20 a piece that is still a $580 profit.
It's definitely not the only place it happens, but because these factories are illegal in countries already creating things like iPhones and iPads in terrible conditions legally, you can imagine the factories tend to be even worse than the "legal" factories. You find a lot more horrific child labor in the counterfeit industry than you do in the more above-ground factories, for example. One more link on the subject detailing some of the terrible conditions of child "slaves" in these factories, and then I'll stop, because this is kind of one of my causes and I doubt anyone here really wants to go into great detail about it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38229835

And yes, what some of the other posters are saying about most fakes; in addition to being illegal, the knock-offs you buy on street corners especially, are very, very obvious if you are at all familiar with the brands being ripped off. Better to save your money and spend it on the real thing, which isn't created quite so terribly, and they'll last a lifetime if you care for them.
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: