Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
DISHoppy
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's another round of testing for the bands, as well as the backend infrastructure. CMs were testing a few weeks, now it's testing with a larger group of guinea pigs. This is how we've done for software @ my former employer.

-Kevin
May 1998 - WDW offsite
Oct 2007 - WDW offsite (DDs first visit)
Dec 2008 - WDW @ POR
Mar 2009 - WDW @ POP
Feb/Mar 2010 - WDW @ SSR (home)
Dec 2010 - WDW @ SSR
Dec 2011 - DCL Disney Dream
Dec 2011 - WDW @ SSR
Jun 2012 - DLR @ DLH
Nov 2013 DCL cruise Dream booked
Nov 2013 WDW @ SSR booked
DISHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISHoppy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's another round of testing for the bands, as well as the backend infrastructure. CMs were testing a few weeks, now it's testing with a larger group of guinea pigs. This is how we've done for software @ my former employer.

-Kevin
yes. Again, when people report back that this, this, and this happened. It no way means that this is how its going to work once rolled out.

i helped a co worker with fp+ testing during one of the tests last fall. this test looks just like that test but with a band versus a card. btw she didn't use a single one which is also part of the test. unclaimed fp+'s will probably be part of how many are distributed. just like how they overbook a plane based on the history of how many passengers don't show up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #33
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
i helped a co worker with fp+ testing during one of the tests last fall. this test looks just like that test but with a band versus a card

But with the card, he/she could also get regular paper Fast Passes from the current FP machines.

I don't think the wristband will be capable of doing that. So that should be a significant difference in this round of testing.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
But with the card, he/she could also get regular paper Fast Passes from the current FP machines.

I don't think the wristband will be capable of doing that. So that should be a significant difference in this round of testing.
yea didn't think of that. it appears that they are not retrofitting the current fp machines with rfid readers and of course they don't have a mag stripe. I think this more than anything else says you can't get magic bands and do regular fp.

I know people are already reading this policy in some terms of service aggrement. but those words are a lot easier to change versus installing hundreds of rfid readers.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
It figures. I get excluded because I stay DVC. Also, I'm not staying at those resorts. And I'm going in October.
You haven't been excluded from anything. It's a three-day test with a select few guests. The reason why DVC guests aren't part of this test is because DVC runs on a completely separate reservation system from the regular resorts, so it's simpler to only involve one system.

Who knows what will be testing or rolled out by October? It's a very fluid project at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
yea didn't think of that. it appears that they are not retrofitting the current fp machines with rfid readers and of course they don't have a mag stripe. I think this more than anything else says you can't get magic bands and do regular fp.

I know people are already reading this policy in some terms of service aggrement. but those words are a lot easier to change versus installing hundreds of rfid readers.
What has been established by Disney officials is that the reason you cannot use the old FP machines once you switch to a MagicBand is because the old machines have no way to read the band.

What hasn't been established is whether FP+ will include same-day FP+, in much the same way the current FP system works.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Are they doing testing in all four parks?

What attractions can you choose from? Are they tiered? Are the tiers the same as the last test, or are they trying out different variables?

How closely can you schedule your three choices, can you do consecutive hours (i.e. one FP+ at 2pm, the next at 3pm and the third at 4 pm)?
CandleontheWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsarahsaid View Post
My husband and I will arriving in 17 days (YAHOO) and got the email the other day that we are eligible to be "testers". We figured why not and selected our Magic Bands and secured our FastPass+ "reservations". While I do admit it is pretty great to know we already have FastPasses for the big rides we want to do (especially during such a busy time)...I am a little concerned about the fact that we may very well not be eligible to get any more regular Fast Passes after we have used our FastPass+. Unless I am misunderstanding something I am assuming we can't get any more than the three we are alloted per day. Which kind of stinks.

I do love that my room key, payment method and FastPass+ are all stored on a handy little wristband though. We'll see how it goes...I will definitely report back.
if you are unable to somehow get adittional fastpasses, I would let them know if that affected your experience any. that would be good feedback if it has a negative impact on you.

i would personally be upset because I would not be on equal footing with all other guests.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #38
DISHoppy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post

What attractions can you choose from? Are they tiered? Are the tiers the same as the last test, or are they trying out different variables?

How closely can you schedule your three choices, can you do consecutive hours (i.e. one FP+ at 2pm, the next at 3pm and the third at 4 pm)?
I believe it was reported that only the MK would be involved for this round.

-Kevin
May 1998 - WDW offsite
Oct 2007 - WDW offsite (DDs first visit)
Dec 2008 - WDW @ POR
Mar 2009 - WDW @ POP
Feb/Mar 2010 - WDW @ SSR (home)
Dec 2010 - WDW @ SSR
Dec 2011 - DCL Disney Dream
Dec 2011 - WDW @ SSR
Jun 2012 - DLR @ DLH
Nov 2013 DCL cruise Dream booked
Nov 2013 WDW @ SSR booked
DISHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISHoppy View Post
I believe it was reported that only the MK would be involved for this round.

-Kevin
Post #1 from Cheshire Figment (A WDW CM) contains the following:
Quote:
Redeem FastPass+ selections at all four theme parks between June 20 and June 26
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #40
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

I was able choose from a select list of attractions and was able to secure FP+ in ALL FOUR parks for various times throughout the day. They have three or four options to choose from and each option grouped the three FP+ I selected into time periods near each other. For example for the 3 FP+ I selected for our day at MK one of the options i got was for the following return windows:

Space Mtn: between 9:50&10:50
Pirates: between 11:10&12:10
Splash Mtn: between 1:10&2:10

I also had the option of selecting a set during mid afternoon and a set at night. After I made my initial selections I was able to go in and edit each individual FP+ to a time the more suited my plans. For example- at Hollywood Studios I selected the set of passes that gave me a return window for Star Tours right in the middle of our ADR at Brown Derby. So I went into that specific FP+ and changed the return window time to another selection.

Oh...and I was only able to select all three FP+ for the day at the same park. So I couldn't do 2 at MK and 1 at AK...they all had to be for MK.

I hope this all makes sense!!

wdw - akl may 2006 // wdw - off site june 2007 //disneyland july 2012 // wdw - akl june 2013 // disneyland paris august 2013 // wdw - wilderness lodge september 2014

**OFFICIAL JUNE 2013 WDW MAGICBAND TESTER**
whatsarahsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
I was able choose from a select list of attractions and was able to secure FP+ in ALL FOUR parks for various times throughout the day. They have three or four options to choose from and each option grouped the three FP+ I selected into time periods near each other. For example for the 3 FP+ I selected for our day at MK one of the options i got was for the following return windows:

I also had the option of selecting a set during mid afternoon and a set at night. After I made my initial selections I was able to go in and edit each individual FP+ to a time the more suited my plans. For example- at Hollywood Studios I selected the set of passes that gave me a return window for Star Tours right in the middle of our ADR at Brown Derby. So I went into that specific FP+ and changed the return window time to another selection.

Oh...and I was only able to select all three FP+ for the day at the same park. So I couldn't do 2 at MK and 1 at AK...they all had to be for MK.

This is encouraging--two top-tier attractions....

Thanks for the info!
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #42
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

Oh yeah...they had a bunch of top tier attractions. On our last day we're going back to MK and got FP+ with return widows one right after the other for Pirates, Peter Pan and Big Thunder Mtn. For our day at Epcot we got FP+ for Soarin' - 9:25 to 10:25 and Test Track - 10:25 to 11:25.

wdw - akl may 2006 // wdw - off site june 2007 //disneyland july 2012 // wdw - akl june 2013 // disneyland paris august 2013 // wdw - wilderness lodge september 2014

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Oh yeah...they had a bunch of top tier attractions. On our last day we're going back to MK and got FP+ with return widows one right after the other for Pirates, Peter Pan and Big Thunder Mtn. For our day at Epcot we got FP+ for Soarin' - 9:25 to 10:25 and Test Track - 10:25 to 11:25.
Thanks again. Pretty much all tests to this point have grouped attractions into tiers, severely limiting the ability to choose more than one headliner per day. The appeal of that arrangement was, shall I say, lacking. Your information thankfully suggests for the first time, in a real way, that limitation may not be in the final product. Time will tell!

I'm so opening myself up, aren't I?
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:

Excellent info, thanks!

Seems to follow expectations so far, except as mesaboy2 said, it does not seem to be following the tiered selections as in the many previous tests...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #45
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

I really like the experience I have had so far in selecting my FP+. The one complaint I have is the following:

One day we're at AK in the a.m. to mid afternoon and then we'll go to HS for dinner and the rest of the evening. Since I know the FP will "sell out" at HS well before we arrive that evening I went ahead and got FP+ for that park. BUT this means I can't get any kind of FP for our visit to AK in the morning. Which leaves me pretty disappointed. We're going to have to race to EE and then race to Kilimanjaro Safaris. Basically we are stuck with stand by lines for that park.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: