Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,495

Comfort Suites Paradise Island Pricing Question

I know it's a popular thing to do to book a room at the CS for the Aquaventure day pass savings. In the past I've balked at the red print when you get to the total page on the CS website that warns of all the fees and taxes that they say you have to pay at check-in. Just didn't seem like it was that big a bargain. I've read several reviews where people talked about their experiences but haven't seen anyone mention paying an additional chunk at check-in for the fees. So, my question to those who have done the CS route is did your total that you paid when you booked include everything or did you have to pay any additional money when you got there??? I'll be traveling with friends next month, 2 are military dependants. The military rate is really an excellent savings provided we don't get gouged for additional moolah when we get there.

Thanks, y'all!
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,495

Bump. Anyone?
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
dizzi
DIS Veteran
 
dizzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 6,962

where is this hotel you speak of?
__________________
LYNN
dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
where is this hotel you speak of?
Right next door to Atlantis. Book a room there and get the benefits of staying at Atlantis or paying the big bucks for a day pass there.


Op I've read over the years of paying all the fees. Still seems to be a bargain for what you get, especially if your group is bigger than, say, two.
__________________

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572
 
Grooovertoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 1,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
I know it's a popular thing to do to book a room at the CS for the Aquaventure day pass savings. In the past I've balked at the red print when you get to the total page on the CS website that warns of all the fees and taxes that they say you have to pay at check-in. Just didn't seem like it was that big a bargain. I've read several reviews where people talked about their experiences but haven't seen anyone mention paying an additional chunk at check-in for the fees. So, my question to those who have done the CS route is did your total that you paid when you booked include everything or did you have to pay any additional money when you got there??? I'll be traveling with friends next month, 2 are military dependants. The military rate is really an excellent savings provided we don't get gouged for additional moolah when we get there.

Thanks, y'all!
Yes, we experienced sticker shock when we did this back in 2011. The original price on paper was great, but once we went through the long check-in process the price and hidden fees for the resort and the tax was maybe $100 in savings from DCL quote.

If I had to do it again, I would go the DCL route. You must include your cab fare ($4 per person) and any food you want while at Atlantis. The cabs are not air conditioned and the wait for one can take a while too. Another pain is once you are “checked-in” at the Comfort Suites you then have to trek over to Atlantis, through the shops, through the casino, through the lobby down the stairs and then you have to wait to get your day pass from an attendant.

Through DCL, they put you on a nice motor coach (w/ A/C), vouchers for lunch, they give you the passes and you are set to go once you get there from what I understand.

You will save by getting the Comfort Suites day pass, but you will lose out some ease and comfort. Maybe it has changed in the last year or so and someone knows of a better way or they have improved the process at the hotel.
__________________
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (8)
Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,335

I'll be trying it next week, so I can report back then! I'm always willing to try somethign once to save a few bucks. I promise to let you know if it stinks!
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer
 
Illini_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Highland Village, TX
Posts: 157

We did this in 2010 and I don't remember having any hidden fees. Everything was known up front in terms of cost (at least that is how I remember it).

It was a decent savings and the extra process added probably 20-30 minutes to the experience.
__________________
2010 Walt Disney World 2010 Disney Wonder-5 Day Double Dip 2013 Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean & 2013 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
2014 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean - June
Illini_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,495

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
I'll be trying it next week, so I can report back then! I'm always willing to try somethign once to save a few bucks. I promise to let you know if it stinks!
Thank you! I'm mostly just looking to know if when you get there to check-in do they ask you to pay any other fees.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooovertoo View Post
Yes, we experienced sticker shock when we did this back in 2011. The original price on paper was great, but once we went through the long check-in process the price and hidden fees for the resort and the tax was maybe $100 in savings from DCL quote.

If I had to do it again, I would go the DCL route. You must include your cab fare ($4 per person) and any food you want while at Atlantis. The cabs are not air conditioned and the wait for one can take a while too. Another pain is once you are “checked-in” at the Comfort Suites you then have to trek over to Atlantis, through the shops, through the casino, through the lobby down the stairs and then you have to wait to get your day pass from an attendant.

Through DCL, they put you on a nice motor coach (w/ A/C), vouchers for lunch, they give you the passes and you are set to go once you get there from what I understand.

You will save by getting the Comfort Suites day pass, but you will lose out some ease and comfort. Maybe it has changed in the last year or so and someone knows of a better way or they have improved the process at the hotel.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The potential savings for our group of 4 ladies after cab but not including food or drink is over $250. That's IF we don't have to pay any additional money when we check-in at the CS itself.

I've done the Aquaventure thru the cruise line twice before. The last time was just the hubby & me. We only stayed maybe 4 hours. Never used our vouchers for the food or drink. Kinda dumb on our part but we just didn't bother. We finished up what we wanted to do then headed back to the ship. The first time we had our teenage sons with us. They needed the grub. It was nothing impressive to say the least which prob'ly explains why DH & I skipped it on our last trip. LOL! Food at Atlantis if paying OOP is pretty pricy so if people expect to eat there then that should definitely factor in!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post
We did this in 2010 and I don't remember having any hidden fees. Everything was known up front in terms of cost (at least that is how I remember it).

It was a decent savings and the extra process added probably 20-30 minutes to the experience.
Thanks! Like I said, my biggest concern is getting to the CS and having them ask for more money at that time. One of the 4 ladies I'll be with is a military wife. She prepaid the room for all of us. Our potential price per person is only like $98. Add $8 each for round trip cab and we're still at only $106. If that's all it costs then that's worth it!
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,238

Their hotel site is pretty clear about the fees.


"Energy surcharge: 15.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel. "

So an extra 20.95 per person.
__________________

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,495

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Their hotel site is pretty clear about the fees.


"Energy surcharge: 15.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel. "

So an extra 20.95 per person.
Right. But on the email confirmation it states the following:

Total:$389.80 (US Dollar) including taxes and other charges of: 20.00%, 20.95 PER PERSON PER DAY

It kinda conflicts. That's why I thought to ask others who have been. I haven't booked thru CS previously because I assumed that the red print on the final reservation page meant we'd have to pony-up the additional $$ at check-in. I've posted on some other CS option threads that this was my concern and if it was the case that additional money at check-in would negate any true savings for us (in the past). Then I've gone on to read numerous others' experiences about going the CS route and not one of them says a peep about having to pay anything more while there at checked-in. This is why I'm asking about this specifically. Did anyone have to at check-in pay additional money to what they paid when they made the reservation? If so, I know it's not that great a deal. If not, we're getting a great deal.
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,335

Yep. Mine says something similar: $213.62 (US Dollar) including taxes and other charges of: 20.00%, 20.95 PER PERSON PER DAY

I guess I got it so cheap with AAA? And that ressie is for 2 adults, 1 child.

ETA, the same email also says:
Estimated Total: $213.62 (US Dollar) including taxes and other charges of: 20.00%, 20.95 PER PERSON PER DAY
Check In Time: 3:00 PM
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM
Please note:Must have one adult 21 years or older in each room. Energy surcharge: 15.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel.


So it is really pretty confusing. one line says including and one says not including and they seem to reference the same charges! I'm fully prepared to pay and extra $66-ish bucks if I have to. It is still a way better deal for me this way than thru Disney. If I don't have to pay that money, more souvenirs for me!
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran
 
sweetpee_1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,495

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
Yep. Mine says something similar: $213.62 (US Dollar) including taxes and other charges of: 20.00%, 20.95 PER PERSON PER DAY

I guess I got it so cheap with AAA? And that ressie is for 2 adults, 1 child.

ETA, the same email also says:
Estimated Total: $213.62 (US Dollar) including taxes and other charges of: 20.00%, 20.95 PER PERSON PER DAY
Check In Time: 3:00 PM
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM
Please note:Must have one adult 21 years or older in each room. Energy surcharge: 15.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel.

So it is really pretty confusing. one line says including and one says not including and they seem to reference the same charges! I'm fully prepared to pay and extra $66-ish bucks if I have to. It is still a way better deal for me this way than thru Disney. If I don't have to pay that money, more souvenirs for me!
That's a great price! We're 4 adults. Hopefully we'll get some definitive answers here.
__________________
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.