Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Favorite "Signature" Restaurant??

I'm thinking of changing from the DDP to the DxDP and curious from everyone as to what your favorite signature restaurants are and why. Tomorrow is my 180 day window and I am so undecided at this time.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
bleeps
DIS Veteran

We love, love, love signature dining at WDW!

Favorite overall: California Grill. Amazing views, outstanding wine list, always great food.

Favorite because it's unlike anywhere else: Jiko. Another outstanding wine list, the chance to try foods and spice combinations we can't find anywhere else, a beautiful space and great to have the excuse to visit AKL.

Others we hit each and every trip:
Artist Point. Again, it is worth it for the visit to the resort itself (WL), the wine list is great (a theme with us!), and the food is always good.

Yachtsman's: We always stay at YC/BC, and always have our last night's dinner here. We enjoy this place -- yes, there are high-end steak houses in pretty much every major city, so the offerings are not unique, but we appreciate the little touches (like truffle mac and cheese!).

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Of the DDP spots:

Seafood--Flying Fish

Steak--Yachtsman Steakhouse

"General purpose" (and my favorite)--Citricos

Their veal shank is excellent and they have a pretty good oak grilled filet.

Flying Fish has an excellent Snapper entree, but also a good NY strip.

YSH has a nice selection of steaks--never had anything else there!!

If California Grill is open when you go its also an excellent choice. But keep in mind that the menu has probably changed since they closed, so no one will probably be able to give you first hand advice---
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Do the DxDP!!!! Best way to visit WDW

My 3 favorites are:

California Grill: The views are sooooo incredible and there is not a better place to watch wishes

Flying Fish: Has awesome seafood and an awesome atmosphere I love everything about Flying Fish

Jiko: Love the apps and the atmosphere is outstanding! Its very upscale!

Honorable mentions are
Artist Point, and Hollywood Brown Derby

WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
shortnsassy730
Mouseketeer

Oh the deluxe plan is wonderful lol. I have not been to a bad Signature. The only ones I have not tried are Fultons, Portebello, and Monsieur Paul. Cali Grill, Artist Point, and Jiko are in a league of their own lol. But we also enjoy Le Cellier, Flying Fish, and Yachstman. I'm not the biggest Narcoosees fan. The atmosphere is nice but I've never been blown away by their food and my BFF is not a seafood eater and prefers the steak at FF so this one doesn't always work for us. Since it is hard for us to skip some of the great 1 TS meals in EPCOT lol, we tend to do 2 1ts credits on EPCOT day and then on DHS day we do Brown Derby for an early lunch and Flying Fish for a late dinner to make up the credits lol. Have a Great Trip!!!!
shortnsassy730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

My faves are AP and Citrico's. Not a fan if CG or Narcoosee's. The service at CG is great, but the food was not worth its signature status. Narcoosee's was very loud, crazy over crowded, had SLOW service, and the food was mediocre.
The deluxe ddp is great. I'm taking my kids in October for the first time, and we'll be on it (my kids are eaters). I'm not a commando tourer, so I enjoy being able to sit and take a break a few times a day
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Our favorites:

AP - Our AP Dining Experience

FF - Our FF Dining Experience

IM - Our Il Mulino Dining Experience (I know this is not a "Disney owned" restaurant but it is still considered "signature" on the S/D website and they take the TIW card so I certainly think it qualifies & it's excellent!!)
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Dining Plan Signature ranking:

Flying Fish, Citricos, Jiko, Brown Derby, Ca Grill, Monsieur Paul, Yachtsman, Artist Point, Fultons, Narcoosees, Le Cellier

I think the top 5 are significantly better than bottom 6.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
bleeps
DIS Veteran

Here's some insight into what's in store for Cal Grill when it reopens:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/0...porary-resort/

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
GinnerD
Mouseketeer

I was debating going to Epcot for dinner after my DHS day. (not a big fan of TS there). Now, I just might give FF a try. It sounds like just the kind of atmosphere and food I enjoy. Dining at the "Kitchen counter" might be perfect as I am on a solo trip this time.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
benji2012
Mouseketeer

FAVORITES
1. Jiko -Eaten here about 10 times; returning in September-Beautiful, though dark, restaurant. Interesting flavors, but also some good traditional items, filet /mac and cheese. Great wine list. T

2. Flying Fish-Eaten here about 5 times; returning in October-The chefs counter is a wonderful place to sit. The snapper is the only fish dish I crave.

3. California Grill-eaten here more than 5 times; hoping to return in October!-The food has always been solid; and Wishes!

MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

4. Brown Derby-eaten here 3 times; will go back in a few years-I love the banana dessert!

5. Artist Point-eaten here twice; will go back in a few years-The first time the food was out of this world, but the service was poor. The next time the food was poor, but the service was excellent!

BOTTOM OF THE BARREL

6. Le Cellier-Eaten at about 5 times; some before it became signature; may return in the DISTANT future-I used to love eating here for lunch; but now with the full day menu, it is not worth it for us. It's not bad per se; but the value is not there for us. It's the only signature we have said we never need to eat at again.

ONLY EATEN AT ONCE

I feel you have to give a restaurant more than one chance to see what they can really do, so I really won't rate the three below...but we are most likely to return to Yachtsman and Monsieur Paul. We need to try Citrico's before we return to Narcoossee's.

I've never eaten at Citricos or Fultons.
benji2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

California Grill
Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
PrincessSamanthaC
Mouseketeer

For us, it would definitely be Narcoosee's. The view of the lagoon is stunning and the food is great!

Nov 05' ASM, Nov 07' PC, Oct 09' CS, Nov 10' AKL Oct 11' BC, Aug 12' BC Aug 13' BC, Aug 14' GF
PrincessSamanthaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
karly05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnerD View Post
I was debating going to Epcot for dinner after my DHS day. (not a big fan of TS there). Now, I just might give FF a try. It sounds like just the kind of atmosphere and food I enjoy. Dining at the "Kitchen counter" might be perfect as I am on a solo trip this time.
I had dinner at Flying Fish on my first solo trip in 2012 and it was great! (Did not sit at the counter, I had a 2-top table by a window.) It was Valentine's Day and they had a special for the evening - my server said it was going to become a regular thing on the menu, and I know it has been; hopefully someone can confirm that they're still doing this...

Anyway, it was a 3-course prix fixe dinner of all their signature dishes: crab cake and caesar salad for appetizer, potato-wrapped snapper and char-crusted strip steak for entree (in "smaller" portions on one plate, but still plenty of food), and caramelized banana napoleon for dessert. Oh, man, and I highly recommend this.

Tried Artist Point for the first time this year and enjoyed it, but Flying Fish gets my vote. (Those are the only 2 signatures I've been to so far.)
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: