Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #16
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

deleted

Last edited by aubriee; 06-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

We jumped off of the Dining Plan Bandwagon several years ago when we stayed on a convention rate and couldn't purchase the DDP. We ate how we wanted during that trip, including wine and appetizers with our dinners. After we got home, I compared my receipts with what the DDP would have cost us. We came out ahead of the game by paying OOP.

Since then, I have done the DDPs when traveling with people who insist on having it. It has never worked out in my favor. I still run the numbers each and every trip, just in case the it turns out that we would save a lot money by doing it. I haven't found a single time when the numbers favored the DDP.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Boy did you just describe me, up until about a year ago. As an AP holder I go to WDW several times a year and pretty much always bought the DDP or the DxDDP every single trip (sometimes free back when free dining required only a one day park ticket, but otherwise as part of a ticketless AP pkg). Anytime anyone here on the DIS asked about the DDP, I always highly recommended it.

One trip it was like light bulb went off. In order to get the most out of the DDP I was actually ordering the most expensive items in the menu, where there was actually another item I would have actually preferred. Being brutally honest with myself, for my next trip, I looked at the menus and figured exactly what I really actually wanted. I refuse to skimp on vacation, so didn't even consider the prices. I don't always want a dessert. Alot of times I would actually rather have two appetizers than anything listed under entrees. I would rather actually have water than soda or tea. Anyway, I quickly found that OOP was actually cheaper and I would be ordering exactly what I actually want.

Last Sept, Oct/Nov, and just a few weeks agp (May 10th-20th), we decided to rent a car, so ate alot of meals offsite. The meals were much better and much cheaper and did not take long. In fact, getting away from the parks for awhile made a very nice break. I can't see us ever using the DDP or Disney transportation again. We have also fallen in love with Universal and can't see ever going down there and not doing at least a day or two over there. They give wonderful discounts for renewing their APs and also great discounts in the parks at all CS and TS restaurants and shops. I just received a Pin a couple of weeks ago for Universal for 50% any of their resorts for AP holders. Disney never sends me Pins.

My last two trips have also been offsite (over at Westlake Town Center in Oct/Nov and at Wyndham Bonnet Creek a couple of weeks ago). I paid $64.00 per night for my stay in a one bedroom villa at Westlake and $89.50 per night for a one bedroom villa at Bonnet Creek. Bonnet Creek is actually inside the Disney gates, so is closer than alot of the WDW owned resorts, we rent a car anyway, and love going right offsite for our meals. Give me one good reason we should pay Disney's high prices for their resorts and meal plans. I can stay in a one bedroom fully equipped villa with wahser/dryer and full kitchen at a Deluxe resort cheaper than I can use my AP discount for a tiny Value room. Disney would have give me alot more incentive to ever come back fully onsite or to use their meal plans.
While I justified DDP on our last trip by saying "you don't have to look at prices", I still did because I wanted to make sure we were getting our $$$ worth for what we paid. DH and I actually were talking about this last night. We'd be much happier eating to fullness at the TS we choose (not based on the cost of the meal) and then then eat a snack here and there when we're hungry again. And not being forced to eat a certain number of QS meals vs. TS meals, etc. is difficult. And as much as I LOVE dessert, I don't want a dessert at every meal, and by the end of a 6 night trip, I was ready to puke sugar! I do like the option to choose if I want an appetizer or dessert when we sit down at the table too.

I think it's also more freeing to us because in the money we are saving by not doing DDP, we are going to rent a car to try different locations, explore resorts, and possibly get a meal or two off property!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
StrwLady
Why did I buy that van?! Now I can't afford a Disney trip!!!

Location: Born and Raised In New Orleans but now lives In Dallas, TX

When I did the math of how we would eat oop as compared to the QSP, I found we would pretty much break even but with the QSP get a few more desserts. So originally I decided to do the QSP mainly for convenience.

At first I thought we would not do many table services so being that in August it is so hot. I find I don't want many heavy meals. But when I considered the table services I loved, I found myself wanting to do the DDP. So we decided to change to the DDP and do a few signature dining. That way I won't be tied into a full meal every day and still get my favorites plus experience some new places.
2/78 Lake Buena Vista Best Western ~ 2/97 All Star Music ~ 3/00 Hawthorn Suites ~ 9/00 All Star Music ~ 3/01 ~ All Star Movies ~ 5/01 Polynesian ~ 10/01 Polynesian ~ 2/02 Contemporary ~ 12/02 Boardwalk Inn ~ 5/03 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/03 Boardwalk Inn ~ 3/04 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/04 Polynesian ~3/05 Wilderness lodge ~ 4/05 Beach Club ~ 9/05 Beach Club ~ 12/05 Beach Club ~ 3/06 DisneyLand Grand Californian ~ 6/06 All Star Music-Contemporary-Beach Club ~ 9/06 Polynesian ~ 12/06 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/07 Disneyland Hotel ~ 6/07 All Star Sports ~ 8/07 Saratoga Springs/Pop Century ~ 9/07 Beach Club ~ 5/08 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/09 Pop Century ~ 8/09 Contemporary ~ 7/10 Swan-Pop Century ~ 7/11 Pop Century ~ 6/12 Pop Century ~ 3/13 Pop Century ~ 8/13 Pop Century

Coming soon...
2 weeks in the World! Pop Century 6/14

StrwLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: