Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #121
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just checking in to keep up!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #122
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Catching up!

Your first day(s) look awesome, even if the view from your room is a bit less awesome than usual.

Breakfast looks so good, and for not being interested in the characters all that much, Jeff sure looks like he enjoyed hugging Minnie!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #123
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Great start! Just got back from a trip to WDW so I need all the trip reports I can read to get over the end of trip depression.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #124
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Nice morning! Your pics really show off that island sunshine - I can feel the warm air and smell the flowers, almost! Looks like breakfast was a good choice. I'm not partial to character breakfast - not really a morning person - you know, no napkin waving before I've had my coffee, dang it! But the food choices look yummy!

Your view wasn't the worst I've ever had - think dumpster in the alley in Reno- but I'm looking forward to see where you end up next!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #125
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I'm following along First of all, Happy birthday to your Evan!

I love that Jeff "wanted the buffet," but then gleefully ran to Minnie's arms for a photo op The outdoor seating area looks nice and scenic, do they have indoor seating as well? It just looks like a much less hectic version of a character buffet (I'm thinking in contrast to Chef Mickey, aka the Headache Maker. Don't get me wrong, I love some classic characters in chef's uniforms, but man that place gets loud!). Looks like a wonderful start to the vacation, I'm waiting to see the view at your second room and hopefully you had some quieter neighbors!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #126
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Not the worst view for the standard but oh yes I would splurge for the OV. Can't wait to see pictures of the next room.

Glad Jeff took the lead for breakfast. Too funny about not waiting in line for Mickey but having the best time with Minnie and asking for Goofy- yup he is a Disney lover, just not ready to fully admit it.

Great pictures of the 2 of you.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #127
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Just checking in to keep up!!
Hi Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Catching up!

Your first day(s) look awesome, even if the view from your room is a bit less awesome than usual.

Well it could have been worse. We could have been 2 floors down! Or 1 floor, both would be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Breakfast looks so good, and for not being interested in the characters all that much, Jeff sure looks like he enjoyed hugging Minnie!
I know, he cracks me up! He went right in for that hug with a big old grin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Great start! Just got back from a trip to WDW so I need all the trip reports I can read to get over the end of trip depression.
Hi Kristi! TR's are the best thing for PDD that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Nice morning! Your pics really show off that island sunshine - I can feel the warm air and smell the flowers, almost! Looks like breakfast was a good choice. I'm not partial to character breakfast - not really a morning person - you know, no napkin waving before I've had my coffee, dang it! But the food choices look yummy!

I do think being out on the patio really lessened all the chaos that can be a character breakfast and spread out both the noise and activity level. It was great and the weather was outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Your view wasn't the worst I've ever had - think dumpster in the alley in Reno- but I'm looking forward to see where you end up next!
Dumpster in alley in Reno wins for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I'm following along First of all, Happy birthday to your Evan!
Aloha and

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I love that Jeff "wanted the buffet," but then gleefully ran to Minnie's arms for a photo op The outdoor seating area looks nice and scenic, do they have indoor seating as well? It just looks like a much less hectic version of a character buffet (I'm thinking in contrast to Chef Mickey, aka the Headache Maker. Don't get me wrong, I love some classic characters in chef's uniforms, but man that place gets loud!). Looks like a wonderful start to the vacation, I'm waiting to see the view at your second room and hopefully you had some quieter neighbors!
They do have indoor seating and yes, it was a very laid back character breakfast. I think having it both inside and out really helped with that. Very mellow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Not the worst view for the standard but oh yes I would splurge for the OV. Can't wait to see pictures of the next room.
It's worth the points in our book for sure!

Quote:
Glad Jeff took the lead for breakfast. Too funny about not waiting in line for Mickey but having the best time with Minnie and asking for Goofy- yup he is a Disney lover, just not ready to fully admit it.
He cracks me up! It was such a fun start. He will say he just did the character breakfast for me as he figured I'd want that but really...he wanted the buffet and didn't mind the characters a bit.

Quote:
Great pictures of the 2 of you.
Thanks!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #128
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Keeping up so I know where I left off4 days from now I will be in Vermont !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #129
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

The picture of Jeff hugging Minnie made me smile. Gotta love irony, especially when it is documented with a camera. The picture of the 2 of you with Minnie is lovely. VERY vacation-y. You are looking pretty tan for the first day of your trip!

I can't wait to see the view from your new room. As I said before, I know nothing about this resort, so I wasn't sure what I was looking at in your first balcony pictures. I get it now, after understanding it's a convention center, etc. I'm glad you were only there one night!

The picture that Jeff took of you while taking a picture is beautiful!
Sunset Cliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #130
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I'm more of a take whatever room i'm given sorta girl but maybe in furture i'll take a leaf out of your book as we never seem to get good views!

What did you get Evan for his birthday?
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #131
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I can't seem to stay caught up lately. I blame it on the post Disney blues.

I know that the standard view room didn't have the best view but I'm betting that I could have lived with it if I absolutely had to.

Before you mentioned the fact that Jeff thought the resort looked like AKL, I was thinking the same thing. It's beautiful!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Keeping up so I know where I left off4 days from now I will be in Vermont !!!
3 days now, have fun Rosie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
The picture of Jeff hugging Minnie made me smile. Gotta love irony, especially when it is documented with a camera. The picture of the 2 of you with Minnie is lovely. VERY vacation-y. You are looking pretty tan for the first day of your trip!
Gotta love documentation huh! It was a really fun morning and very vacation-y all around!

We did go tanning a couple of times before the trip as neither of us wanted to burn. Even with that and slathering 30 the entire time we were there, we did get pink a couple of times but nothing awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I can't wait to see the view from your new room. As I said before, I know nothing about this resort, so I wasn't sure what I was looking at in your first balcony pictures. I get it now, after understanding it's a convention center, etc. I'm glad you were only there one night!

The picture that Jeff took of you while taking a picture is beautiful!
Yes, there is a small convention center at the resort, 3 ballrooms maybe? Not huge. New view will be in the next update. The lobby is SO gorgeous and I think hard to capture on film. I think the view out of the lobby is as enchanting as the lobby itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I'm more of a take whatever room i'm given sorta girl but maybe in furture i'll take a leaf out of your book as we never seem to get good views!

What did you get Evan for his birthday?
I figure it never hurts to ask and for the most part I've always gotten my requests. What is interesting to me is the whole online check check in process and room request section and whether or not that overrides any previous request you made in the system.

We bought Evan a couple of things however one was a bit of a bust. Both boys got a T from Hawaii and then there was a 2nd T that made us think of Evan so we got it as kind of an extra bday gift. The shirt, when I saw it in the store appeared to be pretty uni-sex and was marketed on a mannequin as a mans shirt. However, on Evan it really looked more like a womens cut, lower crew neckline than he was comfortable with and shorter sleeves.

So I have a new tee for me

His big gift though was a pBone. It's the big thing, these plastic trombones that come in all kinds of crazy colors and he has been dying for one for quite some time. We ended up getting him the yellow one. He asked for purple, yellow or white. As his HS colors are green and gold, that worked best in case he uses it in pep band and I thought the white would get really dirty. I wish he'd asked for the green but he's pretty darn excited about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I can't seem to stay caught up lately. I blame it on the post Disney blues.
Me either. I blame it on the end of the school year and post Aulani blues. Have you started a new TR yet?

Quote:
I know that the standard view room didn't have the best view but I'm betting that I could have lived with it if I absolutely had to.
It does beat NOT being in Hawaii at all, that is for sure! I think it really depends, if you don't plan to be in the room/on the lanai much it would be irrelevant.

Quote:
Before you mentioned the fact that Jeff thought the resort looked like AKL, I was thinking the same thing. It's beautiful!
Shades of WL as well, same architect on all 3 but you really do get a strong sense of AKL, down to the hallway wallpaper!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #133
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Hi there!

Just found your TR and thankfully you aren't too far in!

I laughed when I saw your view and thought, that looks just like lurkyloo's view. I hope your next room is better!

Breakfast sounded delicious! DH & I are heading to Aulani in Sept so I've been doing lots of research, especially with the restaurants there to figure out if I want to make any ADRs.

Is that pic of your view of the petroleum plant? I think I saw that nearby when I was doing my research.

Thanks for sharing, keep it coming!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #134
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Cynthia, I have, indeed, started my trip report. The link is in my signature.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #135
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
So at 5:45 we were up and at ‘em! And because it really was 8:45 to our overtired brains…we decided to just get up, albeit slowly. Can anyone guess what we did next?
I know that you put that little gem in there for me and some other gutter-minded types. Thank you.

Quote:
When we checked in, we found out we would be located here (blue circle).
Uh oh, is that a walkway projecting out from that blue circle?

Quote:
So lets see our view!

Anyone recognize this?
Yep.

Quote:
Yes, we were in room 657. Exactly 2 floors up from lurkyloos infamous "worst view ever" room. And yes, it was better 2 floors up. I found it very humorous though that we were exactly in the same spot as really being one room off in either direction would be a lot better. Still, it did have some decent island view to go with the convention center pathway roof.
How funny!

Quote:
We could kind of see something in the distance so I zoomed in...

We had to google it as we couldn’t stand not knowing what the heck that thing was! Anybody know? Could be worth a tiki head (slushie credits don't seem to fit here) or maybe a menehune.
I see that there is a big industrial park south of Aulani, and although I found some tanks like that one with Google streetview, I couldn't find that specific one, so wasn't able to narrow down which company's it is. Sheesh, of all of the industrial sites I've visited over my career, I never gotten to go to one in Hawaii!

Quote:
Jeff's arrival lei

Does everyone who checks in get something like this? Very cool.

Quote:
I like how excited Jeff looks in this picture.

Quote:
While he was gone, Goofy came by. I love how they can talk without talking!

"Where’d he go?" Goofy asked

To the buffet I replied

"Aw shucks! " he said.

"I’ll be back!" he said.

Except he never did.
They are amazing at that talking without talking!

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the previous night as we were wheeling our luggage down this hall Jeff turned to me and goes...you know this reminds me of...and before he even said where I said yep, same Architect. You really do get a strong sense of AKL there I think though I also agree with the comment that Jeff made at breakfast which was basically that Aulani was a significantly upgraded and updated Poly. LOL!
The same architect did Aulani as AKL? And Wilderness Lodge too, I guess, since I thought that was the same person?

Quote:
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVAN!!!!!!!!!!!

This was taken last night after his 8th grade academic awards ceremony (honor roll, yay!) and science fair (honorable mention, yay!)
Happy Birthday Evan! He's really stretching out!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: