Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #106
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Yay an update. Just taking a break from the dirt. Can't wait to read and please wish Evan a Happy Birthday!!!! And congrats!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 06-07-2013 at 02:55 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #107
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Okay, bummer on the first room view/emphesyma lady. But good that was only for the one night!

Your breakfast looked really good! I guess we'll have to do that on our trip (someday) too! I'll have to start a list.

Cute pictures of the two of you and with Minnie too!
I was laughing when you said you laughed internally at Jeff wondering about Goofy. I would have been laughing EXTERNALLY! You're way nicer than me!
Great room Karma too! Can't wait to see more!

COOL bamboo sinks! I think there will be a lot of decor items I'd like to have at my house!

CONGRATS and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Evan!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #108
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Breakfast looked great- I am dreaming of muesli ever since I had it on the Dream this last trip. O.M.G. it is sooooo yummy!

Happy Birthday to Evan! Sure hope he gets past the no hiking in Hawaii thing- my kids LOVED it, I think they felt like pioneers or Indiana Jones or something. Hawaii has so much land that is just BEGGING for your feet to touch and explore it!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #109
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
All this time zone talk is about to give me a headache!
Go back to bed!

Quote:
Well, that was a decent enough room for a night in a standard view room. At least you could see something over the top of the convention center room. It looks to me like the non-angled lanai would definitely give you more room out there, but I guess I can look forward to seeing the comparison!
A lot of folks say it isn't bigger but I'd disagree. For the 2 of us it was fine but the in-room layout in particular is much better in the non angled if you have more than 2 people as the couch and bed are on the same side of the wall. In the angled, they faced each other and with the angle, if you had that sofa bed open, it could feel pretty tight in there I'd think, esp if folks wanted morning coffee on the lanai and had to walk past it. I'd have had bruised shins I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
You know I am taking notes here... non angled room. maybe not a standard view though. Looking at your pictures though...I kept thinking.. it isn't so bad. (but is it really so good?) It does look like a nice place to have some coffee though.
If it were me, and I didn't want to spring for OV point wise, I'd probably go for Pool View...although there aren't very many rooms in that cateogry. Island/Garden could be nice and opens up a lot of options but all the rooms 8th floor and up from that exact room are Island/Garden Views...complete with highway noise and for me...not what I'd want. That said...the pool is not quiet either. Not at all actually, so really more a matter of preference. I would think that the Island/Garden Views in the other building might be nicer just knowing which way they face, that is probably what I would request if I was booking that category.

Quote:
Just as I comment to one update... there is another.

Breakfast looks yummy. I like that there seems to be some aulani specific items and not just "typical disney" food.
There definitely was. There was also a whole Japanese section (miso soup etc) but I didn't take pics of it. Jeff LOVED the french toast, which I think was made with Hawaiian sweetbread.

Quote:
Too funny that Jeff wasn't going to go into a line... but seemed very happy to meet with Minnie (as well as be curious about Goofy's location)

The picture of the two of you with Minnie is great! Your color combinations in pictures always seem so planned!! Jeff in his blue - next to Minnie in her blue dress with hints of the colors in your dress.... very nice picture!!!
I thought it was pretty funny myself. It was like, they can come to me but I'm not waiting in line for them! I actually thought we clashed a bit but Minnie does kind of tie us together

Quote:
And just as I post again... ANOTHER update!!!

First, a happy birthday and congrats to Evan.
Thanks! He had a good night we won't actually really celebrate it till Sunday as he shares his bday with my dad and they are going to the M's game tonight, as is their tradition and then Eric is gone for scouts so it's the first time we will all be together to do presents etc.

Quote:
Sounds like check out/in went well. I am not sure I understand though... first she couldn't meet your requests and then poof magically all of them appeared? Glad you got them though!!!

Bamboo sinks look awesome!
Well I think what it was is that when she looked originally (and I wonder if this is true in general?) she looked at what was actually open or had already been checked out of. She was specifically looking for high floor and the highest floor she could give us was in the other building. Ocean view starts as low as the 6th floor and that's what she was finding in the long wing of Ewa which is what we wanted. So she started looking at rooms that were due to be checked out, but weren't yet and that's what we ended up with. So our room wasn't ready as the folks in it hadn't checked out yet. Given that we had a feeling it could be a bit before it was ready.

I LOVED that sink, it would be so perfect in my powder room. Will never happen of course but it was so cool and unique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
I can't wait to read more!!
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Very, very tardy... but I'm here... Can't wait to settle back and live vicariously through this one...
Not tardy at all! Just getting started. Patricia, I am so happy you are here. You can live vicariously in Hawaii while i live vicariously in Rome on your TR. Sounds like a good deal to me!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #110
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Well I think what it was is that when she looked originally (and I wonder if this is true in general?) she looked at what was actually open or had already been checked out of. She was specifically looking for high floor and the highest floor she could give us was in the other building. Ocean view starts as low as the 6th floor and that's what she was finding in the long wing of Ewa which is what we wanted. So she started looking at rooms that were due to be checked out, but weren't yet and that's what we ended up with. So our room wasn't ready as the folks in it hadn't checked out yet. Given that we had a feeling it could be a bit before it was ready.
That makes more sense!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #111
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I decided to pour that drink and catch up early.

So did you move to a one bedroom or another studio? I'm so glad you weren't stuck with that view all week. I'm a view junkie too and I wouldn't have been overjoyed.

Breakfast looks good and I love your shirt. You guys are so cute. You look happy and well rested despite the lack of sleep.

I think the pastries are always Disney's weak spot.

The Minnie pics are darling.

I haven't stayed at the Poly, only been to dine, and I agree, Aulani looks like a Hawaiian AKV. I know I'm gong to love it when we finally make it. I hinted to Michael for next year......no way. But I think I always say that.

Coffee looks nice and now I know what lanai means. I didn't Google.

It looks like you'll be getting your room request- can't wait to see it.

The lobby view is gorgeous. That's one of the lobby views right?

Nice leis.

Love the torches and the square sinks.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 06-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #112
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Happy birthday, Evan!

Great updates! The whole place looks beautiful, I really love those bamboo sinks too!
Adorable pictures with Minnie.
Breakfast looks really yummy!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #113
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
OK, all caught up. I can't believe everything you did on your departure day. I have to make sure we are all packed and loaded up the day before and we still never get out on time. We always allow for plenty of extra time due to our procrastination.
Well I was packed....

OVER packed.

Quote:
And if I still worked in an office, I loved the comment from the person who turned on their out of office reply two days before leaving! Genius!
I love that idea! I don't think it would go over well with my boss though

Quote:
Sounds like you had an uneventful trip over and a relaxing evening once you arrived. Breakfast looks good, I hope that you got to Ama Ama during your trip. So there are some ocean view rooms that don't have a Sunset view? That sounds strange!

Happy Birthday to Evan!
Yes, all the ocean view rooms that face the pool in the Waianae Building face away from the sunset as the building is angled away from where the sun sets. Same thing with the rooms that face the ocean and island (but not the pool) in the Long Wing of the Ewa Building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Happy birthday Evan!!! Yay!!!

I am getting such a good idea of Aulani...I really feel like I'm there! Ah, island life! I can't wait for more! How relaxing! I can't wait to hear about your new room and hope it's better than the first in both views and neighbors and highway proximity!
I think the first was about as good as could be expected and I'm being greedy It was a lovely room and really the island part you could see what quite pretty.

Quote:
Well, at least you were only going to be next to her for one morning.
True! The question was, would we be next to anything else?

Quote:
I get what you're saying. You feel for her, because you know it isn't her fault, but it does kind of ruin the atmosphere.
Oh the poor thing she sounded awful! Like hacking up a lung awful. Yeah...not the "morning music" we were hoping for.

Quote:
Well, somebody has to make sure the important stuff gets packed!
Yes, it was handy though it ended up not as needed as we'd expected as the ihome in the rooms were 1) actually there and 2) worked!

Quote:
I don't know... for somebody who made a statement like this, he looked awfully happy with Minnie!
I know!!!

Quote:
Ok... I think I'd want to eat there every morning. Buffet. Entertainment. Goofy. What's not to like?
The price

Quote:
I've never actually stepped foot in AKL or obviously Aulani for that matter, but even just from the pictures they really do give off kind of a similar vibe in some way.
VERY similar

Quote:
Awesome! I'm glad she was able to work things around and get you a good room!
She worked it!

Quote:
Happy Birthday and congratulations on the academic recognitions!
Thanks, we were very proud of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Yay an update. Just taking a break from the dirt. Can't wait to read and please wish Evan a Happy Birthday!!!! And congrats!
The dirt? What are you up to?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Okay, bummer on the first room view/emphesyma lady. But good that was only for the one night!
Well I didn't book the room for the view so it was ok. Poor thing I felt awful for her. They did meet my request so I couldn't really complain and it was actually kind of funny to have that same view. I wouldn't have been been thrilled with it for a week though.

Quote:
Your breakfast looked really good! I guess we'll have to do that on our trip (someday) too! I'll have to start a list.
I can hear it now..."You cost me MORE money!" I told Jeff that line, he thought it was hysterical! BTW let me know your dates so we can coordinate a SEA meet! Jeff is looking forward to it.

Quote:
Cute pictures of the two of you and with Minnie too!
I was laughing when you said you laughed internally at Jeff wondering about Goofy. I would have been laughing EXTERNALLY! You're way nicer than me!
Great room Karma too! Can't wait to see more!
Well I figured if I wanted more character pictures over the course of the trip it was in my best interest to keep my mouth shut and just smile.

Quote:
COOL bamboo sinks! I think there will be a lot of decor items I'd like to have at my house!

CONGRATS and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Evan!
Yes, morning one I was up to 6+ outdoor torches and a bamboo sink!

and thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #114
Mickcruiser
Earning My Ears

Happy happy birthday Evan. Enjoyed your pics. Wish to visit Hawaii.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #115
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great pix of the resort and your BUFFET breakfast !!So Jeff likes Minnie hmmm , does he like Daisy too !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #116
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Joining in & enjoying the TR.

I would love to make it there someday but not sure if it will happen.

Breakfast looked good & so glad you got the room section you wanted.

Anxious to see some pool pics & views from the room!!
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #117
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
That makes more sense!
It does make me wonder though if this is true everywhere? I'd always thought that your best chance at getting your request is early checkin. But maybe it's not, maybe it's at 11:10, right after everyone is checked out???

Quote:
I decided to pour that drink and catch up early.
Wise choice. I still want to know what you were doing in the dirt

Quote:
So did you move to a one bedroom or another studio? I'm so glad you weren't stuck with that view all week. I'm a view junkie too and I wouldn't have been overjoyed.
Another studio. Much as I would have LOVED a 1B, I didn't have the points (or it would have been a shorter trip) and that's why I had to pack all those kitchen items! We are at a point in our lives where we will postpone or not do a trip if we can't do it with the right kind of environment and for us, that includes a balcony and a view (or a verandah in the case of a cruise), we won't.

Quote:
Breakfast looks good and I love your shirt. You guys are so cute. You look happy and well rested despite the lack of sleep.
I was happy and well rested! Thanks on the top, it's an old one that I've decided I like again which always makes it feel new. Things go in cycles lol.

Quote:
I think the pastries are always Disney's weak spot.
Agreed!

Quote:
The Minnie pics are darling.
Thanks!

Quote:
I haven't stayed at the Poly, only been to dine, and I agree, Aulani looks like a Hawaiian AKV. I know I'm gong to love it when we finally make it. I hinted to Michael for next year......no way. But I think I always say that.
Oh you'll make it there, it's not an "if", it's a "when" I like the poly, I actually love the 70's brady bunch vibe but...also wouldn't choose to stay there at those prices with it. I can rent a condo on the Big Island for 1/3-1/2 the price and get the same exact vibe

It needs an update! If there ever is a Poly DVC I do think you'll see a lot of shades of Aulani there.

Quote:
Coffee looks nice and now I know what lanai means. I didn't Google.

It looks like you'll be getting your room request- can't wait to see it.

The lobby view is gorgeous. That's one of the lobby views right?

Nice leis.

Love the torches and the square sinks.
Yep, lobby view. New room views in the next update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Happy birthday, Evan!

Great updates! The whole place looks beautiful, I really love those bamboo sinks too!
Adorable pictures with Minnie.
Breakfast looks really yummy!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I would love to have that sink! The in wall plumbing wouldn't work though so I'd have to find a different iteration.

It was a lovely breakfast, I am glad that was Jeff's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcruiser View Post
Happy happy birthday Evan. Enjoyed your pics. Wish to visit Hawaii.
Thanks! It is a beautiful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great pix of the resort and your BUFFET breakfast !!So Jeff likes Minnie hmmm , does he like Daisy too !!!
He does like Daisy too! Sadly Donald left her at home and she is nowhere to be found at Aulani.

It was a very yummy breakfast, I'd love some of that muesli today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Joining in & enjoying the TR.

I would love to make it there someday but not sure if it will happen.

Breakfast looked good & so glad you got the room section you wanted.

Anxious to see some pool pics & views from the room!!
Aloha and so happy to have you here!

It is a beautiful place and it was a lovely first morning. I will have new room pictures in the next update. Need to upload them first!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #118
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Hurrah for an update! Having a mega cleaning/organizing day here and this was a perfect break -- thank you!!

I cannot believe you were two floors above the lurkyloo worst view ever room! Too funny! So happy you were moving the next day and that the CM was able to meet your requests. I will be bookmarking those charts with room locations for if/when I go!

Jeff sure does look pretty darn happy to be seeing Minnie! And to the where's Goofy question. He is definitely a Disney lover!

Very good call on the ipod speaker... will also have to remember that. Too bad about the woman next door.

You both look so happy and relaxed in your pictures. *They need to add a smiley with a lei or a grass skirt!!*

The resort looks so gorgeous!!!

Happy Birthday Evan!!! Hope he reconsiders the hiking thing.

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #119
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

I love that photo! And cute top too, you wear it well!! Your first breakfast dining al fresco sounds so lovely and one of those "I'm definitely on vacation" moments!

At least you had the "worst room location" for only the 1 night... sounds like the next one is going to be much better!

The panorama photo is awesome too!

Happy Birthday to Evan! That's a great photo of him.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #120
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Hurrah for an update! Having a mega cleaning/organizing day here and this was a perfect break -- thank you!!
Always happy to help anyone avoid cleaning

Quote:

I cannot believe you were two floors above the lurkyloo worst view ever room! Too funny! So happy you were moving the next day and that the CM was able to meet your requests. I will be bookmarking those charts with room locations for if/when I go!
I completely cracked up when I saw where we were. But they did meet my request so...there you go. Those charts were so helpful!

We were happy we were moving, I also figured our chance of getting our other requests were greater with the morning move and check in versus late night check in.

Quote:

Jeff sure does look pretty darn happy to be seeing Minnie! And to the where's Goofy question. He is definitely a Disney lover!
Yeah he is, he protests otherwise but he is full of it lol.

Quote:

Very good call on the ipod speaker... will also have to remember that. Too bad about the woman next door.
I felt awful for her, given how early it was I wonder if she was outside so others could sleep

Quote:

You both look so happy and relaxed in your pictures. *They need to add a smiley with a lei or a grass skirt!!*

The resort looks so gorgeous!!!

Happy Birthday Evan!!! Hope he reconsiders the hiking thing.
That would be a great smiley!

Evan won't get a choice, we hike, he will too. Within reason of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

I love that photo! And cute top too, you wear it well!! Your first breakfast dining al fresco sounds so lovely and one of those "I'm definitely on vacation" moments!
It was very much an "I'm on vacation" breakfast! Perfect start to the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

At least you had the "worst room location" for only the 1 night... sounds like the next one is going to be much better!

The panorama photo is awesome too!

Happy Birthday to Evan! That's a great photo of him.
I thought he looked so cute someone did yell at him at the assembly

"Hey Evan, the 80's called and they want their shirt back!" As you can tell by the picture he didn't care.

We were very happy to be moving, I know we've turned into resort snobs but to be so close to the ocean and be looking at that....been there done that and at this point on our lives darn it, we've earned that ocean view!

Lol

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: