Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #706
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

That's a whole lot of sky divers! I don't think I've ever seen that many all together at once, either in real life or a photo.

Thanks for the tour of the North Shore! Even if you would do it differently in the future!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #707
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
First of all - love all your tickers. Very nice!
Thanks, I've been meaning to update them for awhile.

Quote:
Sorry your day was not as great as you had hoped it would be. I'm sure it was disappointing that it was so windy. Bummer about the snorkeling.
It wasn't a bad day, not at all, just spoiled by the previous ones! Honestly I was ok about the snorkeling, Jeff was a bit bummed but also not interested with the wind. Which was fine with me!

Quote:
Despite that I think your pictures are great and I appreciate you posting the map. I am amazed as how consistently beautiful Hawaii is. Just lovely!
It is so very lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I forgot to reply after I read your post about the fish tacos! The food looked really good, but the margaritas looked even better! Bummer about the traffic, but I sounds like it's inevitable.
Honestly we ran into VERY little traffic all things considered throughout the whole week. Largely as we avoided touristy areas much of the time, or timed it accordingly. Compared to the traffic here, it was nothing. Although at rush hour, it's a little worse there. Not much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I always love driving down random roads just to see what you find and it's always fun to go back from someplace in a different way than you came. Beautiful scenery. I definitely want to book a trip there sooner rather than later!
Oh you should, Aulani is stunning and there is just so much exploring to do. We like to do those kinds of drives do, have done it more than once that's for sure! It was lovely and fun to just kind of poke around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Thanks for the tour of the North Shore. I think you had a few great sights there.
We did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Sorry it was so windy that some activities were just not possible to enjoy.
It was honestly ok, I think I made it sound really awful or something but it was a lovely day. We knew we'd have other chances so weren't all that upset at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
That is just crazy!

Things are definitely improving and selling. I swear this time last year... or maybe a year and a half... a good third of my neighborhood sat empty. Now, I don't believe a single house is vacant.
It is a bit crazy but in a good way. I do wish they'd build the ones by us faster, just confirmed from our builder that they likely won't start until spring...they just wanted it cleared so they could show the lots. Great...all fall and winter with lurky loos driving in front of my house.

Quote:
I thought it was... but wasn't sure. I think I will like it. We have never actually cancelled a trip. (knock on wood) So even our fall trips should be ok for us... we will just have to be mindful.
As long as you plan carefully, it is pretty low risk. You can buy the DVC Travel insurance as well which, if you do think it's risky, can cover things. Not the point value but the dues on any lost points. Depending on the amount of points, it can be worth it.

Quote:
Thanks for answering them. I am still trying hard to learn all this. I will get there though... And so yes, most of what you wrote I followed.
I tend to over explain at times...

Quote:
Your windy day looked beautiful! I love the pictures of the mountain area. I think if I were there I would be more inclined to head toward hiking there than playing on the beach.
There is more hiking coming up in the trip. I love the beach and I love to hike but in the wind, hiking would win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I think you had a great, fulfilling day! A very windy, but gorgeous day by the looks of it.
It was gorgeous! And a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Didn't know you can fish right off the shore like that. Wonder if they caught anything!?
Given how many houses had lines...I imagine there is decent fishing there. We didn't see any caught though.
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #708
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
You already know how I feel about wind. I would have been one cranky lady people fishing on the beach make me so nervous. What if their hook gets someone in the water?
I know! I think the same thing. One thing at Ka'ena...no one was in the water there but here it seemed a bit nutty as lots of folks playing on the edges and then all those kite surfers. Granted the kite surfers were further out but they have to get out there and come back, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
At least you were with your love on vacation. Nothing better than that even if the day wouldn't be repeated.
I do think I made it sound like it was bad, it wasn't, not at all. Hard to compete with a couple of days of perfection. It was a fine day, just not an area that's a huge drive for me although I'm sure we will go back at some point. And yes, the company was all that mattered!

I think we've been a bit spoiled by other Hawaii stays...where we could see Kite surfing from our Lanai. We love watching it, and it was nice from the beach. Nicer from the lanai with coffee or a cocktail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wonderful pix of Kite Surfin, that looked neat !!! Really nice scenery too !!! Sounded like nice lazy type day !!!!
Kite surfing is so pretty and fun to watch, I always find it mesmerizing to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I am finally caught up. I think surfing when I think Northshore as well. Bummer the winds were so strong but you got some great shots.
It was fun to see all the wind surfing and the sky divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
North shore looks really nice, too bad the wind took away some fun though.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
We had both kind of expected the wind so while it wasn't ideal for beach time, it wasn't like we were caught of guard by it either and it really "ruined" anything. It was a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I'd agree... seems like an add-on for you at Aulani makes sense. I'd love to but being on the east cost am not sure how often I could make it out there. Fingers crossed for you!
We will see, it's not a for sure thing but it is definitely a strong possibility and yes, for us I think does make sense, in some ways possibly more than a BWV add on. I do hope you make it out there though, it is so very special.

Quote:
Looks like another great day in paradise, despite the wind! The beaches sure to look spectacular.
It was another great day in paradise!

Quote:
Did you say that "we" are eating at Roy's tonight? Can't wait to hear what you guys thought!
Did I? I think that may have been the original plan
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #709
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran

Great wrap up to your North Shore day! Some beautiful scenery, and you got to see so many varied activities.

I think I would be scared of the wind surfing in those winds. Constant fear of being lifted up and taken away.............
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #710
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I'm back!!! Did you miss me?

Read through Day 3:

Thanks for the beautiful bonus view photos you posted. I love how much you can see of the lazy river/pool complex.

Great coffee mug glamour shots. The refill mugs are nice-looking too. Can't remember if you posted pictures earlier in the report.

I'm actually with Jeff (or at least the I was) on the massages. I have had one and I really didn't enjoy it. Don't know that I will be giving it another chance, unless I get it for free.

The wishing stone part sounds really cool. "Dreamy"

I am glad that you both really enjoyed your spa experience!

Those are some yummy and interesting-sounding drinks at Monkey Pod. Must have been so hard to choose. I totally approve of both of your choices!!!! I would have considered the Rain Tree Elixir as well.

The Starlit Hui is a really neat perk. Do you need to sign up in advance or walk right up? How long is it?

Your captions/commentary cracked me up!!!

The entrees at Monkeypod- YUM!!! Nothing better than fresh, well-prepared seafood.

I saw some recent posts that indicate we will be seeing more of Monkeypod.

Your complete embrace of the laid-back, relaxing lifestyle is wonderful, but you do eventually make it into the ocean, right?

natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #711
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I am not a huge fan of water in general, and a pretty big chicken when it comes to the ocean, so not being able to snorkel would've made me secretly happy! Too bad for you guys, though.
Well, as I said, we knew there would be other chances and we've both snorkeled plenty before so weren't really feeling deprived. Probably the only true annoyance was we'd rented stuff for the week and that part bugged us a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
We also drove around the whole island when we were there, and also stopped at some of the beaches to watch the surfers - it's a sight we don't have here on Lake Michigan!
Looking forward to the next post!
Ah no but you have all the pretty little hobies out there racing around and lots of other boats too! Different kind of beach though that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I can give him some pointers.
yes you can...first would be SMILE for the camera

Quote:
Very cool! I'm sure the view was great...from the ground.
I have done it, and the view is pretty darn cool from up there I have to say! Jeff has the classic pilot opinion...why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

Quote:
Were you tempted to try it again?
No, we didn't have the shoes for it. If we did, we might have.

Quote:
on the rainbow!

And yes, H1 would have been heavier. I can pretty much state that as fact.
I don't think our detour really added that much time but we'd have been all kinds of confused were it not for the AAA app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
So, I take it that Jeff wasn't able to procure an airplane to have a little fun? Bummer.
No, the state of the wallet had us avoiding even looking into it. Plus, if we did, he'd rather be the pilot than a skydiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
It really looks like you had a great day, even if not doing the standard north shore attractions. Being that you've been to Hawaii several times before, and will likely be back, it is probably a nice change in pace to see things from a little bit different perspective like that. It's just too bad that the wind kept interfering with the snorkeling plans.
We did and as you can see, the standard stuff wasn't really the goal or plan on this trip so it was all good. Honestly the snorkeling wasn't a big deal, I do think we were both a little bummed about not having some nice relaxing beach time but other than that it was ok. Would have been more upset had we spent a lot of time driving but it really wasn't bad. You are right though, we have been and will be back and as a result it was easy to pass on stuff we've done before and will do again and not be bummed, like snorkeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
3 tickers, so jealous!

Need to update mine as the date has been brought forward as I've got to have a C-Section 2 weeks tomorrow!
WOW! Congrats, so very excited for you. Really in the home stretch now. the 3rd ticker is a bit of a surprise add though I'd been considering a trip to DL that week anyway. How fortuitous that the school decided they had to go march there at that time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
That's a whole lot of sky divers! I don't think I've ever seen that many all together at once, either in real life or a photo.
It was non stop, they'd let one plane out, person after person and the minute that one stopped, another one was right behind it. Quite the operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
Thanks for the tour of the North Shore! Even if you would do it differently in the future!
Well I think we'd do it differently for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the boys, who unlike us, have never been to Hawaii. It will be cool to see it through their eyes!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #712
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Great wrap up to your North Shore day! Some beautiful scenery, and you got to see so many varied activities.
We did! It may not have been the expected day but it was a lovely day nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
I think I would be scared of the wind surfing in those winds. Constant fear of being lifted up and taken away.............
Kite Surfing, and wind surfing...just look HARD to me. Absolutely less than zero desire to try. Not so much for the being lifted up and taken away but for the falling over and starting over and over and over again to try and get up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

I'm back!!! Did you miss me?
Always Dee!!! I am so behind everywhere...hoping the long weekend will help.

Quote:
Read through Day 3:

Thanks for the beautiful bonus view photos you posted. I love how much you can see of the lazy river/pool complex.
I adored that view, really couldn't get enough of it. As you will see.

Quote:
Great coffee mug glamour shots. The refill mugs are nice-looking too. Can't remember if you posted pictures earlier in the report.
I like the refill mugs too. I did realize something though. I use my Alaska mug almost everyday as my travel cup. It is trashed..they just get pretty faded/scratched and worn in the dishwasher. I was trying to figure out why I like it so much better than all the other Disney mugs and finally figured it out. It doesn't have a handle! Fits MUCH better in my car cup holder. DOH.

My Aulani one is one of my backups though.

Quote:
I'm actually with Jeff (or at least the I was) on the massages. I have had one and I really didn't enjoy it. Don't know that I will be giving it another chance, unless I get it for free.

The wishing stone part sounds really cool. "Dreamy"

I am glad that you both really enjoyed your spa experience!
If you make it out there, consider it, it really was amazing.

Quote:
Those are some yummy and interesting-sounding drinks at Monkey Pod. Must have been so hard to choose. I totally approve of both of your choices!!!! I would have considered the Rain Tree Elixir as well.
It was! It's so funny, until I gave up carbonation I never would have ordered things liek that and it's a challenge to try and find ones that aren't too sweet. They had a decent selection. I did love that mine came in the tiki glass!

Quote:
The Starlit Hui is a really neat perk. Do you need to sign up in advance or walk right up? How long is it?

Your captions/commentary cracked me up!!!
Walk up but have to show a room key. About 30 min early is good for decent lawn spots. Yeah, I clearly tracked the story line. to be fair, I have been to other luaus in the past and well, the story is all a bit the same...I just watch the dancers and enjoy the music...and turn out poor Auntie or Uncle who is narrating, charming as they are.

Quote:
The entrees at Monkeypod- YUM!!! Nothing better than fresh, well-prepared seafood.
Monkeypod rocks. Totally our kind of place.

Quote:
I saw some recent posts that indicate we will be seeing more of Monkeypod.
Well, when you find something you like...

Quote:
Your complete embrace of the laid-back, relaxing lifestyle is wonderful, but you do eventually make it into the ocean, right?

yes. Eventually. The activity level does pick up too. Though definitely not at a park commando level.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #713
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I'm back for more Hawaii!

I just completed reading about your fantastic, gorgeous 5 mile walk on the coastline.

I was hoping you would choose the Wai'anae trail- it sounds (and looks) incredible!

Love the pictoral demonstration of the sandiness of the trail.

Cool sighting of the monk seals! I think the staying 150 feet away from them rule has something to do with the fact that they are often followed by sharks!

Which direction did you like better? The way to the turnaround or backtracking?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #714
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I like the refill mugs too. I did realize something though. I use my Alaska mug almost everyday as my travel cup. It is trashed..they just get pretty faded/scratched and worn in the dishwasher. I was trying to figure out why I like it so much better than all the other Disney mugs and finally figured it out. It doesn't have a handle! Fits MUCH better in my car cup holder. DOH.

My Aulani one is one of my backups though.
Travel/coffee mug question. I have several too, and my favorites don't have the handles. But the issue I have is all of them leak from the lid as I am drinking. So it drips while I sip.

Is my lid not screwed on tight enough? Do I need to dry off the rim before putting the cover on? Or do I just need to keep searching for the perfect cup?

Or do I just have a drinking problem?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #715
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Congrats on the plane tickets.
What a view while having coffee. Lovely!
Beautiful walk to the falls. The falls were also beautiful.
The taco looked good.
The beach looked so pretty. Too bad it was too windy.
It did seem like a nice trip up to the North Shore.
All caught up.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #716
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I'm back for more Hawaii!

I just completed reading about your fantastic, gorgeous 5 mile walk on the coastline.

I was hoping you would choose the Wai'anae trail- it sounds (and looks) incredible!
It was!!!

Quote:
Love the pictoral demonstration of the sandiness of the trail.

Cool sighting of the monk seals! I think the staying 150 feet away from them rule has something to do with the fact that they are often followed by sharks!

Which direction did you like better? The way to the turnaround or backtracking?
Maybe, out in the sea but the seals were in so far, no way a shark could/would come in there. Gosh, I don't know which way I liked better...heading out it was all coast and then back you had lovely hills and coast so equally beautiful but different.

Quote:
Travel/coffee mug question. I have several too, and my favorites don't have the handles. But the issue I have is all of them leak from the lid as I am drinking. So it drips while I sip.

Is my lid not screwed on tight enough? Do I need to dry off the rim before putting the cover on? Or do I just need to keep searching for the perfect cup?

Or do I just have a drinking problem?
All of the above. LOL! The biggest culprit usually is a liquid under the lid when you put it on, if it gets "off" when screwing on, not threaded exactly right depending on the cup style, that can do it too. I swear I spill/leak 50% of the time and it's usually for one of those reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Congrats on the plane tickets.
What a view while having coffee. Lovely!
Beautiful walk to the falls. The falls were also beautiful.
The taco looked good.
The beach looked so pretty. Too bad it was too windy.
It did seem like a nice trip up to the North Shore.
All caught up.

It was wonderful day, even with the wind
Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #717
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran

Just checking in.......
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #719
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Just another sunset...

Other than missing our turn and some rain, the drive back to Aulani was uneventful and we arrived around 4:30. Can anyone guess what the first thing we did was?

Lazy River anyone?

Shocker huh.

After a spin around we found loungers in our new favorite area, in front of AMA AMA and settled in to enjoy a bit of the late afternoon sun.

Soon enough we decided it was happy hour on the lanai time and headed up
It was bright!

Loved the late afternoon sun on the lanai, such a lovely relaxing spot for happy hour! Yes…that means MORE pictures of our view.

JW Marriott or not, I am still not tired of the sunset

Not nearly as bright if you angle away from the sun!

Jeff was pretty content with his beer, and book

And I with my wine

Plenty busy at the slides

I decided to take some construction pictures, I bet it looks a ton different now, they are supposed to be done in a month or so

And back to that sunset

Continued in next post

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #720
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Just another sunset...con't.

Continued from previous

Clearing out, a nice time to be in the pool and the river

We never really explored this but I can only imagine how much little ones would love it!

I love the way the sun hits the hills in the afternoon

All quiet at the lagoon

Almost hidden

Hiding

Pretty clouds

Red skies at night

And with that, we lost our sun. Which meant it was time to clean up for dinner! Originally I think I had booked this night for Makahiki. I'd chosen that over AMA AMA as I knew Jeff liked buffets and frankly, figured it would be a little less expensive. But when we’d opted to do Makahiki for breakfast on the first morning instead of AMA AMA, I switched our dinners as well. All cleaned up we made the 3 minute walk to dinner. As they seat you, the CM tells you the story of AMA AMA.

According to the story, the restaurant was a Hawaiian family’s beachside fishing settlement. The oldest part goes back to the 1890s. The family added a second house in the 1920s and two more in the mid-20th-century. The newest part, a contemporary house, is quite recent. An old fish cleaning tank serves as a fountain, while sleek, modern furniture continues the mix of old and new. It’s not simply an effort to be playful. It’s about honoring a family—even if it’s a fictional family—that carries their traditions through generations.

Unfortunately it was so dark the pictures didn’t turn out at all Here is the fountain (and you can see how dark it was!)

We were seated in the middle which was perfect. Not too modern but not too causal either. It is all open air so even if you aren't directly outside, you feel like you are.

This is the view but at night…you really can’t see all that much but you CAN hear the ocean!

and the live music.

We were greeted by our server, Brittany, who was one of the most enjoyable CM’s we've ever had a Disney restaurant. We are used to, and expect good service and happy CM’s but she really was infectious. She’d come to Aulani from WDW after working at WCC and just couldn't say enough great things about Hawaii, Aulani and Disney. She was a ton of fun to chat with and gave us incredible service all night.

As we’d had a semi late lunch, and snacks, I think we went straight to the entrees. Jeff’s choice I think was the Harris Ranch Natural Angus Beef Grilled New York Striploin 12 oz

and mine Hawaiian Snapper with a Fricassee of Keahole Lobster, Artichoke and Kahuku Corn, served with White Wine Lemongrass Sauce 44

You also get some lovely butter and salt to go with your bread

Truthfully that’s all I’ve got for pictures. It was a lovely meal all around. Incredible ambiance, delicious food and great service. Could not have asked for more in any way at all. We would eat there again in a heartbeat. We WILL eat there again someday. Leaving the restaurant we decided to swing by Oleo to see if their music was still going but sadly, it had just stopped. We did see Owen Wilson again! So funny. We decided instead to go back to our own lanai and have a nightcap on it and enjoy the sound of surf, and the stars. We also had some fun with Jeff’s skyview app…and were able to see this

A lovely relaxing close to a lovely, relaxing day. Sorry it’s not more interesting...no drama...not a commando moment... but oh was it nice!

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: