Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
yoopertravelers
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans Riverside to parks

I can't believe how I keep second guessing EVERYTHING about our trip! We are booked at PORR but am now looking at switching to CSR....I can't decide on restaurants or what day we will spend in what park. This is crazy!

I am wondering if we can walk to Epcot from PORR? Do you think PORR is in a better location that CSR and which is more convenient? We are only doing one day at AK and will probably go to MK and Epcot each twice. HS probably only a 1/2 of a day.

I'm usually fine making decisions???
yoopertravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

You can't walk to any parks from either resort. I've stayed in both and I don't find either to be in a "better location".
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

If you are looking to walk to a park I would suggest either the Contemporary for proximity to the MK or Boardwalk or Beach Club for proximity to Epcot.

Personally we LOVE POR... it is our favorite resort! I just got back from my 4th stay there! The parks are about a 10-20 minute bus ride away from the resort. It is in the "Downtown Disney" resort area and has a lovely boat ride to and from Downtown Disney. The resort is peaceful and LOVELY, there are many pool options, the restaurant is very good, the food court is larger than most on property with a large amount of dining choices, the store is top notch and you can't beat Yeehaw Bob performing in the Lounge!! If you want my opinion, STAY with your POR reservation! You'll love it!!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

You are really only talking about a few minutes travel time difference between the 2 resorts to the various parks. I remember the days I use to over plan everything, I do not miss it We like both POR and CSR, and we like POR a bit better because of the boat to DTD and they have more family activities available.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Another added bonus to POR is you can use the POFQ pool . And the boat ride to DTD is one of our favorite things to do . We eat there any night we don't have an ADR elsewhere.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
jkl2000
Earning My Ears

Just today I booked our trip to PO Riverside. Believe me, I did the worrying for you! I was going back and forth between POR and POFQ for days.

I think POR is going to be great!! Especially if you have kids.

jkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Another added bonus to POR is you can use the POFQ pool . And the boat ride to DTD is one of our favorite things to do . We eat there any night we don't have an ADR elsewhere.
I thought that but when I asked when I booked POR she told me no. I find most on the phone say something different though!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
yoopertravelers
Mouseketeer

Thank you all-I'm not sure why I keep going back and forth? Our reservations have been made for a few months and we don't travel until October. I think if my husband hears, "what do you think about..." again he's going to cancel the trip!

I'm doing the same with ADR's! Yikes! Wish the trip was here so I couldn't obsess over it anymore!
yoopertravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJean View Post
I thought that but when I asked when I booked POR she told me no. I find most on the phone say something different though!
The problem with the phone CMs is that they might not have ever been to WDW; they might not even be based in Florida.

Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are sister resorts, and everyone can use all the pools. (and there are a few quiet pools over at Riverside...lots of pools to choose from!)

OP, forget about proximity to parks. That matters twice each day, and hardly then. Choose what you want from the rooms, the grounds, etc.

I've visited the CSR pool and it was nice, but I haven't stayed at the resort. I have stayed at Riverside and we're staying there again. The feel of the place is just lovely. And the food court was great, plus it's a quick walk to POFQ to get beignets. Choose the resort for the resort.

Once you've done that, then look at crowd calendars (easywdw.com is a popular one) and choose parks, and from there choose restaurants? Step by step...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Cindee75
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertravelers View Post
Thank you all-I'm not sure why I keep going back and forth? Our reservations have been made for a few months and we don't travel until October. I think if my husband hears, "what do you think about..." again he's going to cancel the trip!

I'm doing the same with ADR's! Yikes! Wish the trip was here so I couldn't obsess over it anymore!
My DH is the same way. I try to keep things to myself and just change things on the fly.
He will never know. When we get there he just says "What are we going today? " or "What time do we eat?"
Cindee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

IMO, POR has the edge over CSR. The food court is better (the Pepper Market concept is strange and frankly annoying) and the boat to DTD at POR is great. Bussing to DTD can be frustrating, so the boat makes it a little more pleasant.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
maryj11
DIS Veteran

You will be fine I have stayed at CSR and POR and I liked POR the most. One thing you might want to do is look at the map and call Disney and add a room request onto your reservations. The request can be a certain building, area, certain floor or close to the bus stop ect... Only make like 1 or 2 requests. They dont always give you your request but they try. I have gotten mine every time but once. Here is a website and map. You can click on the building and it shows you what rooms are what http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php Oh and here is another web site that can help you with deciding which day to go to which park, I love this website it has helped me a bunch http://www.easywdw.com/category/cale...rowd-calendar/
Oh and I love planning and obsessing over my trips lol

Last edited by maryj11; 05-31-2013 at 10:50 PM.
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

You can't walk to the park from POR or CSR. POR is a great resort. It's my favorite moderate. So I'd stay there.

As far as food ect.... I usually figure out which park on which day and plan meals around that with the occasional character breakfast.
Now that my family has stated they won't get up for a character breakfast, I don't bother with making breakfast ressies anymore.

So you could do what I do - plan around family preferences and the park you will be in for the day.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at CS, POFQ, POR and others. CS and the POs are very nice. The kids (now 14 and 11) surprisingly love POFQ not only the themeing but the relative smallness of the resort- easy to get around and close to buses. The POFQ and POR blend into each other and you can consider them all one resort in many aspects. Actually it used to be altogether. And yes yo can use both pools. If you are really concerned about going to EPCOT and MK, I would suggest staying at Polynesian,as we will be for part of our stay. Since you will have to take transportation from most of the resorts, I say just suck it up and be more concerned with which resort you would like to stay at.
strawberrylilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJean View Post
You can absolutely use both pools. They are sister resorts and share facilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertravelers View Post

POR is very centrally located to the parks. It's our fav moderate. Love the mansion section. I think POR has the prettiest grounds of any wdw resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: