Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #376
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Hey all!!

I did not fall of the face of the planet! Lol we were at the RV and while they have free wi-fi, we are on the back 40 and the access is crappy at best.

I'm there with Pamela and Rose, saw an ugly number this morning back at the house. I'd like to know how the heck one gains 6 pounds in 4 days. I'm thinking part of it might be Tom coming soon, part salt water pool and part no exercise. (Can't swim so I'm just in there to keep an eye on the kids) It's just been to hot to be outside to do exercise at all. I have no indoor option at the RV.
We are at the house today and most of tomorrow so I'm hoping to level out a little bit. And I'll be at the house every day this week because the kids have swim lessons, so I should be able to hit the treadmill, even though the basement is hot too.

I also start my official princess training tomorrow. I can not blow off exercise anymore, can't afford a misstep at this point because I'm still treading very close to the 16 minute mile cut off. I refuse to be swept!

Ok, gotta run. Swim lessons in 15 minutes. This is going to be a loooonnnnggg day!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #377
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Unfortunately, though, my aunt's husband passed away unexpectedly last weekend. They got married when we were all adults so I don't think of him as my uncle, but he was a great guy. He was obese (I would guess morbidly) & had tons of health problems. He was at their camp & my aunt (my mom's sister) couldn't get ahold of him. She & a friend drove there Monday & found him dead in bed hooked up to his cpap machine. His funeral is tomorrow, so it's going to bed a bit of a sad day. Trying to look at any bright side, I hope it is a wake up call for my mom to lose some weight, but who knows? She's got to want it, so maybe this will nudge her in the right direction.
Jill
My condolences to you and your family Jill! I always try to find some way to get something good out of something bad, and maybe this WILL be the kick in the butt your mom needs.

[Helen, you do look AMAZING!! Keep up the great work and know you are an inspiration to me!

Quote:
Oh Rose! I know you've been struggling the past few months. I wish I knew what to say to be helpful. I can definitely understand the feeling. I hit a high number this weekend that I haven't seen in a very long time. Why are we struggling with this? We KNOW what to do and how to do it.... but it seems to be getting harder, doesn't it?? Maybe this a normal cycle? And speaking of cycles... yes, coming to that "mature" part of female life definitely makes the weight loss issue a bit more difficult.... and just about the time your body has adjusted to a particular way, Mother Nature throws a curve ball and changes the game! So be prepared for anything!

I have had a few moments lately where it just didn't seem "worth it" to continue on this journey.... but like you, I really LOVE being SKINNY! For the first time in my ENTIRE LIFE, I have actually LIKED the way I look for the past few years! And I am NOT ready to give that up for some ice cream and chips! And I know you aren't either! I know you have the added struggle with the GF issue.... but you'v done it before and you can do it again.... even with injuries!

I'm thinking of trying a cleanse for a few days, to see if that can kick-start me in the right direction. I have a friend who does a cleanse one weekend a month (she is a runner and nutritionist) and I'm thinking of emailing her to ask what type of cleanse she might recommend. I feel like it might be a nice way to hit the "reset" button with me! I know with your health issues and GF issues this might not be possible.... but maybe some sort of other "extreme" eating to get you moving in the right direction? I know I did a three day "look good naked" diet a while ago... it is essentially just lean protein (fish and chicken) and greens for three days. Not too tough to handle, easy to prepare, but you feel so healthy after those 3 days!!

If I have any other ideas/suggestions, I'll PM you. Just know that you are worth it, you are strong, you are AMAZING, you are an INSPIRATION with your daily mile and we are all here for you when you are down. ...................P
Well said and I completely agree!

I was about to give up on losing any more weight as the scale hasn't moved an ounce in the past three weeks. (And Magdalene, I'm NOT stepping on the scale this week! Don't need the possibility of no change AGAIN during hormone week.) But after checking in here and seeing Helen's pics, along with the usual inspirational posts from everyone, (and not being quite as bad as I tend to be on the weekends ), it's back on the wagon for me. I dragged my butt out of bed before 5 this morning, got on the elliptical, and feel like I'm starting the day right! So for anyone out there who, like me, was ready to give up and "settle"...DON'T!!!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #378
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Happy Monday everyone...

Helen you look amazing!! great job keep up the good work..

Jill - sending out condolences to your family...

I had a great aunt pass on 6/28 and funeral was Wed 7/3 then my Gram (it was her sister) had a pretty bad stroke on Thurs 7/4 ! so it's been a bit crazy for my family .. and to top it off my EX is being a big ole A** about helping pay my DS car insurance should he pass his drivers test tomorrow.. UGH.. oh well enough...

I am up about 5 lbs since April so I am getting back on plan (plus my sugars have been running high again for the past few weeks) I've been eating normal (chips, cookies, pizza, breading, bagels, muffins yep all the yummy stuff) vs. low carb so I must get it back in check or when I go to the Dr in a few weeks he'll make get back on the shot I can't do that!!! back to walking every day for at least 30 mins with or without Hubs and eating low carb is my plan..

off to PM Flossbolna my weight.. see you all tomorrow!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #379
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
Hi everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend! I was sailing with my parents and my 3 DDs this weekend and it was fabulous! Unfortunately, it was not fabulous for my diet We are going on a huge family trip to Myrtle Beach in 6 weeks and I have decided that I need to recommit to myself to lose 10 pounds by then.
Sounds like a great weekend with the family. Love, love, love the beach. I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in about 13 years. It's a little too crowded for us, but I hope you reach your goal by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Good morning!

I had the most bizarre dream last night. It involved a major league baseball player, my parents, and not being able to get gluten free food. Obviously I have some issues.

The sun was out here yesterday and we were outside for most of the day. Even though nothing has changed around here, Mike and I both feel so much better!

I hope everyone has a great Monday. I am going to take my stuff to go to the Y after work and see how my knee feels. Might just walk my mile and call that good enough.
Your dream made me lol. Isn't it funny how some dreams are just bizarre? I'm glad you finally got some sunshine your way. I hope it brightens up your day. Have a good time at the Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Happy MONDAY everyone! I hope you have all been well. Between July 4th holiday and three days of swim meets, I have not been able to be here with you all.... and I've missed you!! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and for your here in the USA, I hope your July 4th was fun and festive!!

Weather has been nice and HOT around here (although I know our friends mid-west and southwest are in it even worse)! We went from pouring rain practically every day in June to SWELTERING temps in July.... but I'm not complaining! As long as I have a/c to sleep in at night, I will survive! And I'll take sweltering temps over snow ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!

Eating was good and mostly OP over the holiday (thank goodness for my SIL who hit goal on WW earlier this year!) ... at least, I thought so until I got on the scale Saturday morning and saw a number I haven't seen in a LOOOOONG time!! I took a day (or so) to lament, worry, complain, stress, fret, *****, moan, crym and whine about it.... and now I am ready to get back on track, back to work, back on plan....with NO EXCUSES!! Anyone else ready for that??? Life is stressful enough right now without worrying if I am going to fit in my shorts on vacation in a few weeks! Too hot to over-eat right now anyway!

I've already been outside to pull weeds while it was still cool this morning... and of course, next up is a load of towels out to the line! DD opted to skip morning swim practice.... she is finally realizing that driving 4 hours a day for double practices is taking its toll on me! How can I get ANYTHING DONE around the house when I am gone 8+ hours ... not including work time! Her party date is coming up fast and furious and there is still SO MUCH to get done! It was hard to work outside in June because we had so much rain.... and now it is too hot to be outside during a good part of the day. So I'll get done what I can during the cooler morning hours and evening hours and then work inside mid-day. Sounds like a plan, right??

I told myself I would be here until 8 am and now it is that time! I will answer today's QOTD and then move on! TTYL................P
Hello! We've missed you! Sounds like you've been busy as ever. It's hot & humid here, too. I don't want to complain, but I could do with a lot less humidity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

On that note..... I'm not sure if I ever mentioned that I have a SIL who is going through chemo for a third recurrence (or maybe 4th) of breast cancer with metastasis to other areas. It was looking really GRIM earlier this year, but she just recently reported that the ongoing chemo is working and there has been reduction in her cancer cells! This is WONDERFUL news, as they are not really giving her a very good prognosis. This is really the best we could have hoped for, short of a miraculous spontaneous remission.

Also, my Dad, who I know I mentioned was diagnosed with cancer last fall and had surgery in December, had a "clean" bill of health a little while ago as well! So I am definitely getting a bit of my #1 wish right now!.........P
So glad to hear that your family has good health news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post

I also start my official princess training tomorrow. I can not blow off exercise anymore, can't afford a misstep at this point because I'm still treading very close to the 16 minute mile cut off. I refuse to be swept!

Ok, gotta run. Swim lessons in 15 minutes. This is going to be a loooonnnnggg day!
How exciting to start princess training! I'm so jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post

My condolences to you and your family Jill! I always try to find some way to get something good out of something bad, and maybe this WILL be the kick in the butt your mom needs.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post

Jill - sending out condolences to your family...

I had a great aunt pass on 6/28 and funeral was Wed 7/3 then my Gram (it was her sister) had a pretty bad stroke on Thurs 7/4 ! so it's been a bit crazy for my family .. and to top it off my EX is being a big ole A** about helping pay my DS car insurance should he pass his drivers test tomorrow.. UGH.. oh well enough...
Thank you. And my condolences to you on the loss of your great aunt. So sorry to hear about your gram, also. I hope she is making progress & recovers from the stroke. Geez, it sounds like you could use some extra good thoughts & prayers! I'm sending some your way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm exhausted. I know I really am not exhausted, but I am tired lol. We got up early for DSs marksmanship camp. While they were there, DH & I did some shopping. Then we drove home & went to my grandma's house to pick blueberries. She has a ridiculous amount of them. It was so hot & I was disgustingly sweaty after. I picked 4 containers (1 pound strawberry containers) for myself and 1 for her. DS10 helped me pick, but it was too hot for DS7 so he kept my grandma company in the air conditioning Actually, DS10 probably ate more than he put in our 4 containers! He wants me to make a blueberry pie or cobbler & I think that sounds wonderful

DS10 has drum lessons at 7 and I was going to try to fit in a 30 minute workout sometime. I just don't know when! Today on my half marathon training plan I am supposed to do cross training. Maybe I'll do a Jillian Michaels DVD & take it easy on the legs.

I'm going to get going & start to get things ready for dinner. Have a great evening

Jill
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #380
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Well, I've been really good on the eating plan today, and I walked to and from college today and then somehow found the energy to run to slimming class this evening (3.5lb off this week, only 3lb to go to a 4 stone loss). Overall I've done a little over 10K today...will be walking to and from college again tomorrow (there all week), but no more running 'til Thursday...my hips need a rest!!! They don't hurt, but they are aching a little!

Got homework to do now guys, so take care, and I'll be back tomorrow to see what's going on.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #381
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Helen--hope that hip feels better!

Jill--enjoy those fresh blueberries! Yum!

bigsis1970--you definitely want to get those sugars under control. Hope you got your workout in.

Kimberly--great job on that early morning workout. And I agree--no settling.

Buffy--you can do it! you can do it! I hope you are excited about starting your training.

Pamela Thanks! I have been thinking about a cleanse too, but not sure if I would make it past a couple of hours. Having trouble sticking with things lately! I am glad to hear all that positive news about your Dad and SIL. This whole 'mature' phase has been rough. Mostly the emotional stuff. One minute I'm crying the next I am angry the next I am beyond stressed. It's like the worst day of pms over and over and over. I am going to give it a few more weeks and then talk to the md about maybe some short term hormone replacement. It has been rough. It hasn't helped that DS has to be out of his house in ~17 days and has no where to live! Anyhow, just all normal life stuff that I am having a hard time putting into perspective. Does that make sense? We have had some major shake ups at work and Mike has stuff going on at work and I just want to run away from home.

Anyhow, let me know what you come up with on the cleanse stuff. I am seriously considering it.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday.

My knee got pretty swollen at work--couldn't prop it up. So I skipped the Y and came home. I did walk my mile. Hoping to feel a little better tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #382
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Helen, that is amazing! You must be so proud!

Rose hope your knee and your days both get better soon!

Jill, you made me laugh out loud here!
"I asked DH if he'd like to walk 4 miles with me on Tuesday and Thursday and I believe he said, "not really." "

Pjlla Sending best wishes for your Sister in law. Wonderful news about your dad.

Bigsis Sorry things are so crappy lately. Hugs.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #383
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

good morning!

I usually run on Tuesdays, but I'm going to just stick with walking my mile for a few more days.

Just checking in to keep myself on track.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday. I am contemplating a solo trip to FL just to clear my head. We have dvc points and an annual pass so it would be airfare and food. Mike and I are going to FL to visit the beach, volunteer at gktw and go to wdw over Labor Day. But Mike is pushing me to take a couple days for myself before then. Just waiting for DS to resolve the housing situation--and see how much money it is going to cost me. He should be able to pay his own rent, but I don't know if he will have the deposits, etc. We are paying tuition for grad school and he is paying the rest. Anyhow, if nothing else it is nice to think about going to florida even if I don't go.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #384
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:

Pamela Thanks! I have been thinking about a cleanse too, but not sure if I would make it past a couple of hours. Having trouble sticking with things lately! I am glad to hear all that positive news about your Dad and SIL. This whole 'mature' phase has been rough. Mostly the emotional stuff. One minute I'm crying the next I am angry the next I am beyond stressed. It's like the worst day of pms over and over and over. I am going to give it a few more weeks and then talk to the md about maybe some short term hormone replacement. It has been rough. It hasn't helped that DS has to be out of his house in ~17 days and has no where to live! Anyhow, just all normal life stuff that I am having a hard time putting into perspective. Does that make sense? We have had some major shake ups at work and Mike has stuff going on at work and I just want to run away from home.

Anyhow, let me know what you come up with on the cleanse stuff. I am seriously considering it.

Remember my favorite words whenever I feel like the walls are crumbling in on my head.....keep it all in perspective! Someone out there always is having a worse day than you with worse problems. And once you're able to step back from whatever it is that's making you crazy, you almost always realize it wasn't THAT big a deal in the first place. Then you inevitably feel like a schmuck for getting so upset about it in the first place! *****
I hope everyone is having a good Monday.

My knee got pretty swollen at work--couldn't prop it up. So I skipped the Y and came home. I did walk my mile. Hoping to feel a little better tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.

ICE, ICE, ICE!!!!

Quote:
good morning!

I usually run on Tuesdays, but I'm going to just stick with walking my mile for a few more days.

Just checking in to keep myself on track.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday. I am contemplating a solo trip to FL just to clear my head. We have dvc points and an annual pass so it would be airfare and food. Mike and I are going to FL to visit the beach, volunteer at gktw and go to wdw over Labor Day. But Mike is pushing me to take a couple days for myself before then. Just waiting for DS to resolve the housing situation--and see how much money it is going to cost me. He should be able to pay his own rent, but I don't know if he will have the deposits, etc. We are paying tuition for grad school and he is paying the rest. Anyhow, if nothing else it is nice to think about going to florida even if I don't go.
I've never had the opportunity to go to the Mouse solo, but I think that would be awesome!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #385
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Tuesday morning everyone.

I just realized that I never posted a QOTD yesterday. I left the house early to get some paperwork done at school for our summer ap prep course. When I got there all hell was breaking loose. None of the projectors were working. If the power goes out then the everything need to be reset . I am not the tech person but I got a few working until she was able to get there and get it up and running. I thought I would be out by 9 but it was closer to 10:30 when I got done and was able to leave.

I have this week off and then I go in for three weeks teaching a summer prep course. I am lucky that the course runs from 8:15 to 10:15 and I can be home by 11 each day.

Question of the Day

Mark Bitman has written a book called Vegan Before 6

Mark is a food writer for the New York Times and has written several cookbooks before he wrote this book. Here is an interview that he had recently in the WSJ:
Six years ago, Mark Bittman's weight, blood pressure and blood sugar were creeping into the danger zone.

The man who gave us "How to Cook Everything" and took viewers on a PBS tour in "Best Recipes in the World" has always indulged and eaten well. But as with many people, middle age and his diet caught up with him. His doctor made a radical suggestion: Consider becoming a vegan.

It was a blunt wake-up call for the New York Times columnist and bestselling cookbook author.

As someone who has built a career writing about food, Bittman wasn't inclined to go all or nothing. He didn't want to do pills, either.

Taking stock of what he knew, he came up with Vegan Before 6:00. Focusing on increasing the intake of vegetables, fruits and legumes, he cut out junk food. Keeping things in check during the day, he culled a flexible diet cutting out animal products before dinner while allowing for indulgences in the evening.

Now 35 pounds lighter, he's in better health and sharing this mindful "semi-vegan" approach and 60 recipes in his latest book, "VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health...for Good" (Clarkson Potter, $26).

Find his recipes, columns and more at markbittman.com.

Q.What drew you to writing about food?

A. We're talking, nearly 35 years ago, so your motives are much less clear in the haze of the past. But I really wanted to write, and I really loved cooking. It appeared that the only thing I wrote about with any authority was food. So I started writing about food.

Q.What prompted the ideology behind the new book?

A. I have actually long wanted to do a kind of how-to-eat book, and this seemed to make sense. I think the solution to our dietary problems is very easy to understand, but it isn't simple to execute. VB6 is a strategy that has worked for me and many other people.

It is not the only strategy. It is a good strategy for a lot of reasons. I wanted to include recipes, so it was more than a magazine article, and the opportunity to explore the science of metabolism.

Q.What are the basic parameters of Vegan Before 6 as you define them? This is not just no animal products, but also no white flour, white rice, pasta or sugar?

A. The obvious thing, maybe it is not so obvious, before 6 I don't eat anything that is processed. Not only do I eat no animal products — that in a way is easy — I eat no processed foods, no junk food. No bread. I have rice occasionally, I really try to eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables, legumes.

Taking junk food out is probably the second most important thing you can do. The first is increasing the plants, the fruits and vegetables you eat.... Animal products have a couple of different problems, whether red meat is a culprit in bad health has not been determined, but certainly the fact that animals have been raised industrially, and the hormone stuff and the pollution.... We would not be making a mistake by eating less on the animal product side.

Q.You wrote about the language we choose: flexitarian vs. omnivore vs. vegan. How much do the words matter?

A. When I first started talking about eating like this, I used to figure out other ways to describe what this diet is about. VB6 makes sense to me, but it is not the only path. Flexitarian, when people started talking about it, I thought "This is really good. I would not be surprised if this word takes off." I was surprised it didn't.

What we need to do is eat less junk food, fewer animal products and more fruit and vegetables. Say it however people are going to hear it. I can't guarantee they're going to hear it by coming up with a catch phrase or having a book, but you've got to try.

Q.Let's put this in cost perspective. How does a mostly vegan diet compare to the cost of the standard American diet?

A. If you're talking about cash outlay, it is roughly equivalent. I'm not talking about local, organic, shopping at Whole Foods. I'm talking about eating normal foods you buy in a supermarket and cook yourself, or hopefully cook yourself.

Q.What are the biggest stumbling blocks?

A. Things are changing. The biggest stumbling block is Americans tend to see things in black and white. Which is why I was somewhat hesitant about using the word vegan. They think it is all or nothing. I can't have a healthy diet so I'll eat what I want, to hell with it. On one end is the healthiest diet imaginable, on the other end is the least imaginable. We're all somewhere in there. Any move you make toward a healthier diet is a good move.

It doesn't have to be "I'm now only eating carrots and lettuce." It can be "This week I'm eating more fruits and vegetables." You can only bring people along as fast as they are ready, and this goes for me, too. Am I going to eat a perfectly healthy diet? No. Can I eat a better diet? Yeah.

Q.How long did it take you to adjust to this way of eating?

A. It took me no time at all. When I stay home it is a snap, really easy. I can have a smoothie in the morning or oatmeal or a salad. I tend to eat savory stuff. You can make yourself a stir-fry or salad for lunch. Dinner you can have whatever you want.

If you're out, you have to carry stuff with you. Stock your office with apples and carry things. Take preventive measures or be as uncompromising as you can. It's not about perfection, just the best you can.

Q.So are there any new staples in your pantry?

A. You're talking to somebody who has eaten everything, and eagerly eaten everything for a long time. I don't know that that's fair. What I do know is people do need to consider other options and think about more foods than they've eaten in the past.

Everybody knows what vegetables are.... It's not about getting into weird food. It's about eating more of the stuff you know is good for you. I'm saying along with not eating animal products, eat less junk food. That's not so hard to understand.

Q.You've gone from "How To Cook Everything" and "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" to "Vegan Before 6:00." Can we chronicle your own dietary evolution through your cookbooks?

A. Absolutely. No question. I still cook. There is not a day that goes by that I don't cook at home. Usually I cook twice a day at home. Cooking is important to me, and it could be more important to more people. Have the things I cook changed? Absolutely.

Q.How do vegetarian and vegan fit into a larger overall trend nationally? How do Americans stack up when it comes to vegan living?

A. Call me provincial, but the U.S. is sort of what I'm interested in. Despite everything, there are many ways in which we're still the first country in the world to change on a lot of things. I was in the UK last week. I'm very impressed with some of the things they do about changing their diets, but they think we're way ahead of them. This is 300 million people here. If we can make a dent in changing their diets, that's great.

Q.Any one food you would absolutely never give up?

A. There are many foods. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Would you try this?

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #386
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Not for me I'm afraid. I don't eat much meat, but live on eggs, chesse and yoghurts. The vegan 'substitutes' for these available in the UK are truly horrible!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #387
PlutoBaby

Talking

I couldn't go totally vegan as I love cheese and dairy way too much . I have been able to eliminate red meat and am trying to wean myself off poultry. My mother would be impressed with how many more veggies I eat now, but I'm just too darn picky to go all-out vegan.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #388
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Vegan before 6....I could probably do that, but not completely vegan. Although, I usually eat dinner at 5 so is have to be VB5

It's pretty quiet here. My family & I are just chugging along through summer. I convinced DH to walk 4 miles with me tomorrow. I found a bike/walk trail about 5 minutes from where my boys are going to camp, so we are going to walk it.

I am having a hard time finding motivation to do my cross training days in the half marathon walking plan I'm following. Has anyone had this problem? I have done 30 Day Shred & loved it, but don't want to do too much leg work like in that dvd. I do not have access to a pool for laps or I would go swimming. DH wanted to play tennis tonight which sounded fun, but it is storming. Bah! So, tonight I just did abs, push-ups, and some arm exercises, but it was only 10 minutes, not 30. Any suggestions?

We are cleaning the house & organizing right now. I decided to take a quick break & pop on here. I better go throw the sheets into the dryer & get more clothes into the washer. Gee...if I could only get paid by the basket, I would be a rich woman!! Have a good night

Jill
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #389
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Vegan before 6....I could probably do that, but not completely vegan. Although, I usually eat dinner at 5 so is have to be VB5

It's pretty quiet here. My family & I are just chugging along through summer. I convinced DH to walk 4 miles with me tomorrow. I found a bike/walk trail about 5 minutes from where my boys are going to camp, so we are going to walk it.

I am having a hard time finding motivation to do my cross training days in the half marathon walking plan I'm following. Has anyone had this problem? I have done 30 Day Shred & loved it, but don't want to do too much leg work like in that dvd. I do not have access to a pool for laps or I would go swimming. DH wanted to play tennis tonight which sounded fun, but it is storming. Bah! So, tonight I just did abs, push-ups, and some arm exercises, but it was only 10 minutes, not 30. Any suggestions?
Jill
How about yoga, static stretching, or body weight exercises (squats, abs, pushups, chair dips, planks, etc)? If you go to active.com and click on the lifestyle tab (http://www.active.com/fitness/strength-training), there are a number of different things you can do. I incorporate a couple of different plans I found there to keep things interesting and my muscles off balance. It helps to break up the monotony.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #390
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Thursday morning everyone.

It has been pretty quiet here this week.

Question of the Day

Rose is talking about a solo trip and I am planning a quiet trip with only my dh to Disney World.

Could you go with only yourself or your dh?

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: