Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #346
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Oh my gosh! Does anyone remember me?
I have fallen so far off the wagon I can barely see the dust in the distance.

I am off for the next 5 days and we aren't going anywhere (I know, hard to believe) so I am DETERMINED to get my **** together! Goodness! Why do we continue to do this to ourselves????

Anyhow, off to the Y. But I WILL be back. Insert Arnold smiley here.
Was wondering what happened to you my friend. Glad to see you're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Question of the Day

It is getting to the middle of summer and here in the northeast we are getting ready for a heat wave.

What are some of your favorite ways to cool off?
This question is kind of ironic(?) for me as I live in a pretty much permanent heatwave. But I LOVE it!!! Growing up in CT I was ALWAYS cold and couldn't wait to get the heck out of dodge. So I have to chuckle to myself a little when I hear everyone complaining about the occasional heat wave. Trust me ladies, you ain't seen nuthin!!!

I'm lucky enough to live on a big lake which almost always has a great breeze blowing across it right into my backyard. And now that we have the Island Time Tiki Bar, we love to sit out there in the shade with the ceiling fans going. If all else fails, it's off to the community pool, our BFF's who also have a great backyard oasis, or even better, the !!! It's only a few miles east of us and I always feel like we don't take advantage of it often enough. Of course, now that we replaced our a/c last year, we can make our house feel like the Arctic if we need to for a lot less money. I always look at training in the south FLA weather as a decided advantage when it comes to competing in the runDisney races. 90% humidity?? HA!! I laugh at your 90% humidity and raise you 95 degree temperatures!

Oh! I almost forgot! Due to what I truly believe was all your good thoughts and wishes for my friend, I am happy to say his heart is beating, he's conscious and up moving around and already flirting with all the nurses! (He's a 71 year-old Cuban who is absolutely incorrigible and I completely love him!) So thank you for all the good karma!! XOXO

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #347
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Question of the Day

It is getting to the middle of summer and here in the northeast we are getting ready for a heat wave.

I love the heat. I have to be careful in the full sun, though because I am a little pale. But give me some shade and I am a happy camper.

We are having a non-existent summer here and I am very unhappy about it. Hopefully this weather pattern will change and we will get back in the 90s soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Was wondering what happened to you my friend. Glad to see you're back!

XOXO
Thanks! So glad your friend is doing better!

Off topic.
My DS and 4 of his college friends visited over the weekend and it was crazy around here! In three days we: went to a minor league baseball game, toured 3 bourbon distilleries, went to the Louisville Slugger Museum, went to a concert downtown, and went to Churchill Downs for Downs after Dark--night time racing. I think I have almost recovered.

I don't do big social stuff very well, so my stress was through the roof, but everyone (including me) seemed to have a really good time. I had an aha moment when I realized that just because I didn't like to take people home to my house growing up does not mean that DS doesn't like to to bring people home. Or that he is embarrassed by us. He (and his friends) actually seem to like us.

DS is back at school. Grad school starts in about 6 weeks. But he has no where to live! More stress, and a very long story there.

Anyhow, to wrap this up I think that there are going to be some big changes at our house over the next couple of months (more details to come later) which is causing more stress....but it's all good.

I just need to take some deep breaths, do better with my eating, and take better care of myself.

I went to the Y, did 32 min on the elliptical and took a yoga class. Later today I will walk my mile (or two).

Tomorrow we are running a 10k for the 4th which should be fun. It is our 4th year doing this race.

And--by getting on here I have avoided a snack attack--at least I think I have!

Have a good Wednesday. Might be back later.
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #348
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Good Wednesday morning everyone. It is finally dry here this morning and the tree guys are back to get some work done so it is very noisy here. Yes we are just getting some work done on trees that were damaged in the October Sandy storm. Nothing was on the house so it was not urgent.

Question of the Day

I like to work in my basement since it is cool and we have no air conditioners. I also like to sit in the shady trees in the backyard and hope for a sea breeze which usually hits in the afternoon. If it gets too hot we head to the movies at the mall for a couple of hours. Don't feel sorry for us. We really only suffer a couple of nights during the summer. We have lots of fan and we do get a sea breeze most afternoons since we are less than 2 miles to the beach.

Have a happy and healthy day.
we like to hang out at the beach! in our 1974 mobile home we do have an air conditioner but it's from the like the 70's .. eats up energy like crazy and only cools off ONE room - the living room.. I sometimes feel we live in a tin box and that isn't fun and games in the heat of the summer or dead of winter

Happy SAFE 4th everyone a bit early since I dont' have a home computer.. see you all on Friday

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #349
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Well, being from England, we don't really have summers any more!!! It just rains a lot!!!

Most of my 'hot experiences' have been in Florida, either WDW or Key West. When at WDW, my favourite way to cool off it to grab a handful of ice from the drinks displays (the big tubs full of coke bottles) and rub the ice all over my skin. OH thinks I'm crazy, but I love it!!

Survived day 4 of being back on diet plan, and went to the park whilst dinner was cooking in the oven and ran 5.57K in 38:59...my best time ever. My app says I actually did the 5K in 34:59 which is my personal best!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #350
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good Wednesday morning everyone. It is finally dry here this morning and the tree guys are back to get some work done so it is very noisy here. Yes we are just getting some work done on trees that were damaged in the October Sandy storm. Nothing was on the house so it was not urgent.

Question of the Day

I take a lot of cold showers! We don't have AC or a pool so I pretty much die in the middle of summer. We have lots of really good water playgrounds in the area so I take the girls there and they also play on the slip and slide and in our wading pool.
Sometimes we'll go see a movie. And in the evenings we hang out in the basement because that's the only place that's at least a little cool.
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #351
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Walked two more miles.

I think we are going to bale on the 10k tomorrow. I feel kind of bad because we had a streak going. They are calling for a monsoon and it's a 70 or so mile drive. I would run it if were here, but I don't want to deal with driving, running and rain or any combination of the three. Last weekend when we toured one of the distilleries the gps sent us down a road (same area the race is in) that was underwater....yep, it's been raining a lot. I don't ever remember a summer where I have had the lights on during the day, but it has been so gloomy. Sorry for the complaining. I miss my sunshine!

Hope everyone has a great night.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #352
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike
Walked two more miles.

I think we are going to bale on the 10k tomorrow. I feel kind of bad because we had a streak going. They are calling for a monsoon and it's a 70 or so mile drive. I would run it if were here, but I don't want to deal with driving, running and rain or any combination of the three. Last weekend when we toured one of the distilleries the gps sent us down a road (same area the race is in) that was underwater....yep, it's been raining a lot. I don't ever remember a summer where I have had the lights on during the day, but it has been so gloomy. Sorry for the complaining. I miss my sunshine!

Hope everyone has a great night.
Rose- don't feel bad. That forecast sounds awful! I would bail also. We've had way more rain than usual too. Bad for summer fun but at least I haven't had to water the flowers!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #353
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

We did the race. It rained. It's raining now. Fun times.
Oh no wait, it stopped for five minutes. Bleh, I feel like we live in Seattle this summer, except we don't! The only bad part was being really wet for the ride home (it's about an hour) but we had dry shirts and shoes with us.

The race went well. Not my fastest time, not my slowest.

It was a 10k and I ran the whole way except one water stop. So I was pretty pleased.

I hope the sun is out wherever you are today.

And Figment I agree, the only good thing--I haven't had to water the plants or add water to the pool.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #354
DoomBuggieDriver
Boston Strong

A new month gives us an opportunity to restart our weight loss efforts. What are your goals this month - on the scale and otherwise?[/QUOTE]
Hi everyone,
my new short term goal for the month is again a magic 5lbs. Fell a bit short last month but I don't mind; still moving in the right directions. my starting weight for this month is 140.5.

Other goals include keeping up with the exercise challenge, which is new to me and went well last month; and to help get my daughters headed out to their new lives for school (one in NJ and the other in Belgium.)
So off we go...... Buggie

BRUINS ARE DONE
Congrats to the Black Hawks, the better team

Poly 1997
BWI 2000
DCL Magic Western 2004
DoomBuggieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #355
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Friday morning

I hope everyone had a great 4th. Dh and I spent the morning mowing lawns. It was hot and sweaty but they are done for the next couple of weeks. Dh's father still has a lot of work to do in his yard. Picture jungle since he has planted so much and now can't take care of it as much as he used to. Dh is the only male in the area so he is constantly being asked to help with the repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBuggieDriver View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]A
Other goals include keeping up with the exercise challenge, which is new to me and went well last month; and to help get my daughters headed out to their new lives for school (one in NJ and the other in Belgium.)
So off we go...... Buggie
Where is your daughter moving to in NJ? I live in central by the shore, my sisters live up by NYC and ds lives down by Philly.

I am sorry I forgot to post a question of the day yesterday.

Question of the Day

What do you do to motivate yourself to exercise each week?

I have been struggling with exercise for the last year. It got worse after I sprained my ankle and wrist in Nov. I need suggestions.

Off for breakfast and a day of sewing.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #356
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

QOTD--exercise is easy for me. Ok, easier, at least. It's the food that kills me. I set a mile a day challenge on Jan 1 and although I thought I would run it everyday, a lot of days I end up walking. But I have walked or run at least a mile every day this year. A lot of days I don't want to, but there is something about a challenge that makes me stick with it. I also find that committing to the wish exercise challenge really helps. And lastly, I know that exercise helps me to deal with stress, and even if it's hard, I always feel better after a workout. I have been dealing with so many injuries, I really am grateful to be able to workout, even if I don't always want to.

Another day, and more rain. It is ridiculous at this point. This is becoming the non-existent summer. We are going to florida at the end of August but I'm not sure if I can make it that long. We might go visit DS later this month, especially if this weather pattern continues. Sorry for the whine. I am such a summer girl and this is really not good for my overall sunny outlook.

Have a good Friday. I will probably be back later.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #357
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:
Good Friday morning

Question of the Day

What do you do to motivate yourself to exercise each week?
Getting motivated to exercise isn't that big a deal as I've been doing it for so long that it's now a habit. At this point, I don't even really care what the weather is doing, except for some of the crazy lightning storms we get down here. I find if I go more than 2 days without some kind of physical activity, even if it's just a short walk with the Wonder Mutt , I get very, very cranky and feel like a beached whale.

Quote:
QOTD--exercise is easy for me. Ok, easier, at least. It's the food that kills me. I set a mile a day challenge on Jan 1 and although I thought I would run it everyday, a lot of days I end up walking. But I have walked or run at least a mile every day this year. A lot of days I don't want to, but there is something about a challenge that makes me stick with it. I also find that committing to the wish exercise challenge really helps. And lastly, I know that exercise helps me to deal with stress, and even if it's hard, I always feel better after a workout. I have been dealing with so many injuries, I really am grateful to be able to workout, even if I don't always want to.

Oh yeah, right there with ya

Another day, and more rain. It is ridiculous at this point. This is becoming the non-existent summer. We are going to florida at the end of August but I'm not sure if I can make it that long. We might go visit DS later this month, especially if this weather pattern continues. Sorry for the whine. I am such a summer girl and this is really not good for my overall sunny outlook.

Sorry Rose, but it's officially summer down here too which means rain almost every day! However, at least it's usually only for a few minutes in the afternoon.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #358
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post

Sorry Rose, but it's officially summer down here too which means rain almost every day! However, at least it's usually only for a few minutes in the afternoon.
Oh no, we aren't talking afternoon showers. We are talking the sun has not been out since sometime in May. Ok, not that bad, but pretty close. The high yesterday I believe was 72--it rained all day. And it is one hundred percent overcast and raining today. Our normal lows are in the 70s. Can't even break a good sweat in this weather. It is just full on continuous gloom here and everybody is getting very cranky.

Walked my mile on the treadmill today cause I didn't want to deal with rain again. Cranky, cranky, cranky I know. I guess I need to break out my winter time stash of vitamin d pills.

ETA I think I am going to get kicked off the island if I don't get a better attitude!

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 07-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #359
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:
Oh no, we aren't talking afternoon showers. We are talking the sun has not been out since sometime in May. Ok, not that bad, but pretty close. The high yesterday I believe was 72--it rained all day. And it is one hundred percent overcast and raining today. Our normal lows are in the 70s. Can't even break a good sweat in this weather. It is just full on continuous gloom here and everybody is getting very cranky.

Walked my mile on the treadmill today cause I didn't want to deal with rain again. Cranky, cranky, cranky I know. I guess I need to break out my winter time stash of vitamin d pills.

ETA I think I am going to get kicked off the island if I don't get a better attitude!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #360
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone! I hope everyone (well In the states) enjoyed the 4th

I just wanted to pop in quick & check in. I've been so busy this week with fun family things. We went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game Tuesday and Cleveland Aquarium & Zoo yesterday.

Unfortunately, though, my aunt's husband passed away unexpectedly last weekend. They got married when we were all adults so I don't think of him as my uncle, but he was a great guy. He was obese (I would guess morbidly) & had tons of health problems. He was at their camp & my aunt (my mom's sister) couldn't get ahold of him. She & a friend drove there Monday & found him dead in bed hooked up to his cpap machine. His funeral is tomorrow, so it's going to bed a bit of a sad day. Trying to look at any bright side, I hope it is a wake up call for my mom to lose some weight, but who knows? She's got to want it, so maybe this will nudge her in the right direction.

Now that I've rambled on, I'm going to try to get some sleep. I'll try to catch up on qotds & responses tomorrow. Have a good night.

Jill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: