Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #46
disd55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
During busy seasons, busses are always packed at park closing no matter what resort your at. why we love the BC/YC, we can walk to 2 parks. Even when we go in low seasons, Jan & August busses at park closing are packed.
This is very true. Stayed at BC during the slow season of late August/early September and morning and afternoon buses were still crowded, especially since BC and YC are shared. Sometimes to DD they are even shared with Swalphin and BWI.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

OP sorry for the bad service. There have been times when I have been disappointed in Disney. There customer service doesn't always meet my expectations. I would never post it here. You see what happens when you do.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #48
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Well I am the original poster and I am sorry the post was so hard to read. I have an iPad here instead of my regular computer and it sometimes corrects my spelling to words I don't mean AND I totally forgot to hit the return for new paragraphs. It DID look like a post from a crazy lady. Here are the complaints I had....

1). I totally TOTALLY understand check in is officially at 4:00 pm and anything before is pure luck. That wasn't the problem. The problem was when I ASKED politely if the room was ready they told me, "Yes. It's been ready since 11:40 and we sent you a message." To which I said, again politely, " oh really? We didn't get it." To which the CM said a little under her breath, "We'll we SENT it." You know I wasn't arguing with her or complaining at this point because it was 1:30 or 1:45, my grandson needed a nap and I was THANKFUL we were getting in the room early.

2) the room situation..... Yes, I have been to Disney close to 20 times and am the family planner for my extended family as well as plan some close friends vacations since I enjoy Disney so much. So, I DO realize you don't always get your request met. That is left to the Disney gods. However I asked to be placed on an upper floor in Sago Cay and instead was placed in Big Pine Key on a lower floor. For those who are not familiar with the resort, as I was not before planning this visit, if you drew a diagonal line from one end of the resort to the other end of the resort you would have one point on Sago Cay and the other point on Big Pine Key. So we were talking about being put in the exact opposite direction...as FAR opposite as you could possibly be asked to be.

3). I have stayed at all levels of resorts and hotels from staying totally off site, to staying at Downtown Disney hotels, to staying at a camping site at Fort Wilderness, values, moderates and deluxe hotels. I am by NO means a hotel snob. One of my favorite experiences was staying at a camping site at Fort Wilderness. However, we paid to OUR standards a LOT of money for this vacation. I understand it is just a drop in the bucket for Disney and in fact to many visiting Disney, it is a mere drop in the bucket but I am a teacher so it's quite a lot of money for me and my family.

I guess in a way I HAVE been spoiled by the Contemporary with its convenience of hopping on the elevator to get our mugs refilled, or hopping on the elevator to get to the monorail or even hopping on the monorail to go get something to eat. I believe though that The Grand Floridian being Disney's "Flagship Hotel"(their words not mine) the distance between where we can refill our mugs, the distance to the main building and the distance to transportation should be addressed better.

4) The rooms' location (or distance from everything) was compounded by realizing our view, for the week, would be of the DVC construction. Now I know there are people who would say this wouldn't bother them. However I am an obsessive planner. I want the vacation to be as great for everyone as it can possible be. The view, as I am currently looking out the window, is of the DVC building, a small part of the lake that is partitioned off in front of the DVC building, and the middle of trees, because we are on the 2nd floor. We usually love sitting out on the balcony but there is not much to see.

5) the reason I mentioned the other guests that were having problems was simply to point out it wasn't just me being unrealistic but there were others having problems. I did not stand around trying to listen in to their problems I heard the conversation while I was waiting to talk to someone. While I was headed back to my room, I heard the other problem. I was by NO means sitting around looking for people with problems.

6) We did not realize they had DVD players in the room. I simply went down to get the rooms switched our rooms
because one room had one and one didn't. I knew my grandson could get to sleep easier if he could watch his movies.

7) I mentioned BY NAME the bellhop that really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. When we checked in we were shown where the building was and where the monorail was. This man took the time to tell us about the boat to the magic kingdom, the Electric Water Parade, the hidden characters and where the counter service location was. None of these things were explained to us during check in as they should have been.

We
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

I have to admit when I type a post from my iphone, I at times probably sound like a crazy lady or at least some one who is ESL ( english as a second language).
Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #50
gogo
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm in the minority, but just because someone forgot to insert paragraphs certainly didn't make it unintelligible. Are using paragraphs helpful, sure, but I think I can read well enough without seeing them. It wasn't like I was reading a book that way

The comments didn't offend the OP, so that's nice!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #51
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post

7) I mentioned BY NAME the bellhop that really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. When we checked in we were shown where the building was and where the monorail was. This man took the time to tell us about the boat to the magic kingdom, the Electric Water Parade, the hidden characters and where the counter service location was. None of these things were explained to us during check in as they should have been.

We
I didn't see if you did on line check in or not, but if you did, they pretty much hand you your stuff and send you on your way. I do like hearing the whole spiel, so I haven't used on line check in for a while. If you did standard check in then yes, they should have gave you what is basic info--how to get around, where to get food, and so on.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #52
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Now about the Welcome home.....it's just one of hose small things that makes the Contemporary the right place for us. I'm not saying ANYTHING against the 90 year old man that works as. A greeter at the Grand. He apparently not there when we checked in and we don't go through the front door as often so maybe we just missed him.

The location of the rooms, the attitude of SOME of the cast members, the lack of wifi a lot of the time, the distance from our room to EVERYTHING, as well as other things made me dislike the resort. I am not saying that I hate ANYONE just a resort. For heavens sake I hate mayo but that doesn't mean I hate anyone who uses mayo! I have seen many others who actually said they hate the Contemporary because they don't like the hustle and bustle of the resort or the retro feel of it. You know to each his own. Will I ever stay here again? NO....has it ruined my vacation? No....we are having a blast.

Now in regards to my aunt. She doesn't need an EVC but is very tired when we return in the evenings. Yes staying closer would have been MUCH better for her but we are all managing it.

There is no need to call the CIA to have me deported for crimes of terror for saying I hated, or even HATE, HATE, HATE the Grand. I still love disney and will return. I just won't be returning to the grand.

mOST of all a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thank you all who took up for me! That was very much appreciated!!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Well I am the original poster and I am sorry the post was so hard to read. I have an iPad here instead of my regular computer and it sometimes corrects my spelling to words I don't mean AND I totally forgot to hit the return for new paragraphs. It DID look like a post from a crazy lady. Here are the complaints I had....

1). I totally TOTALLY understand check in is officially at 4:00 pm and anything before is pure luck. That wasn't the problem. The problem was when I ASKED politely if the room was ready they told me, "Yes. It's been ready since 11:40 and we sent you a message." To which I said, again politely, " oh really? We didn't get it." To which the CM said a little under her breath, "We'll we SENT it." You know I wasn't arguing with her or complaining at this point because it was 1:30 or 1:45, my grandson needed a nap and I was THANKFUL we were getting in the room early.

2) the room situation..... Yes, I have been to Disney close to 20 times and am the family planner for my extended family as well as plan some close friends vacations since I enjoy Disney so much. So, I DO realize you don't always get your request met. That is left to the Disney gods. However I asked to be placed on an upper floor in Sago Cay and instead was placed in Big Pine Key on a lower floor. For those who are not familiar with the resort, as I was not before planning this visit, if you drew a diagonal line from one end of the resort to the other end of the resort you would have one point on Sago Cay and the other point on Big Pine Key. So we were talking about being put in the exact opposite direction...as FAR opposite as you could possibly be asked to be.

3). I have stayed at all levels of resorts and hotels from staying totally off site, to staying at Downtown Disney hotels, to staying at a camping site at Fort Wilderness, values, moderates and deluxe hotels. I am by NO means a hotel snob. One of my favorite experiences was staying at a camping site at Fort Wilderness. However, we paid to OUR standards a LOT of money for this vacation. I understand it is just a drop in the bucket for Disney and in fact to many visiting Disney, it is a mere drop in the bucket but I am a teacher so it's quite a lot of money for me and my family.

I guess in a way I HAVE been spoiled by the Contemporary with its convenience of hopping on the elevator to get our mugs refilled, or hopping on the elevator to get to the monorail or even hopping on the monorail to go get something to eat. I believe though that The Grand Floridian being Disney's "Flagship Hotel"(their words not mine) the distance between where we can refill our mugs, the distance to the main building and the distance to transportation should be addressed better.

4) The rooms' location (or distance from everything) was compounded by realizing our view, for the week, would be of the DVC construction. Now I know there are people who would say this wouldn't bother them. However I am an obsessive planner. I want the vacation to be as great for everyone as it can possible be. The view, as I am currently looking out the window, is of the DVC building, a small part of the lake that is partitioned off in front of the DVC building, and the middle of trees, because we are on the 2nd floor. We usually love sitting out on the balcony but there is not much to see.

5) the reason I mentioned the other guests that were having problems was simply to point out it wasn't just me being unrealistic but there were others having problems. I did not stand around trying to listen in to their problems I heard the conversation while I was waiting to talk to someone. While I was headed back to my room, I heard the other problem. I was by NO means sitting around looking for people with problems.

6) We did not realize they had DVD players in the room. I simply went down to get the rooms switched our rooms
because one room had one and one didn't. I knew my grandson could get to sleep easier if he could watch his movies.

We
OP, I totally understand how iPads and smartphones can mess up the formatting of a post. I think that most posters get that. It was just too difficult to read through in order to understand all of your points clearly.

I also understand that there are some things about the GF that are not to your liking and even if everything went perfectly at check in and you had gotten exact rooms that you requested, it still might not be as wonderful to you as it is to others. That's okay. Everyone has different tastes.

I don't think that all of your complaints are valid. But they seem to be important to you. If you feel strongly about these things, then by all means let the resort management know that they are dropping the ball when it comes to customer service and the amenities that you expect from their flagship resort. A follow up email or letter may also be in order if you do not get satisfaction while you are there.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #54
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I know that you, or maybe it's coming from your aunt, feel that exhaustion at the end of the day doesn't mean a scooter is needed, but on the other hand, it surely would HELP.

My own aunt continues to refuse a scooter (she and her family are highly prejudiced against scooter users and don't want to be one of "them") even though she absolutely would be helped by it. If I were so exhausted by the end of the day that the location of my room was causing problems, I would think it was scooter-worthy. But then maybe having watched so many people hurt themselves by refusing them has made my threshold of scooter-worthy far lower than others?

DH was able to hear other peoples' problems while standing in line at Jambo to get us a new room, so I definitely understand that. And the next day we got into a discussion with a mother and daughter who were having almost the opposite problem that we had had, while we waited around for our new room. It was a fairly common theme for problems during that stay at Jambo, and the attitude of the CMs there didn't make anything even a little bit better.

But that's why I sent DH up to take care of it. I was NOT in a good mood about the problem, and DH was able to be calmer about it all. I would have either managed to get us the biggest suite they have...OR have us arrested and thrown in jail for the week. One or the other. That's why it wasn't me at the counter. (and I know that when I've posted about it, there are plenty who don't feel that my problem was A problem)

You might want to contact someone about that missing DVD player, by the way.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #55
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofinn View Post
op sorry for the bad service. There have been times when i have been disappointed in disney. There customer service doesn't always meet my expectations. I would never post it here. You see what happens when you do.
lol!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #56
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1). I totally TOTALLY understand check in is officially at 4:00 pm
I thought it was 3 pm?

Been there, done that, last time at the YC our room was so far out it was closer to the Swalphon - talk about a hike and a half to refill the mugs at the BC marketplace.

I have this issue w/ Disney, I really wish their view catagories were better, some savanna views @ AKL are less than prime, some garden views at the Poly look onto parking lots or air conditioning units, some water views @ YC/BC look onto the pool v. the lagoon, some garden view rooms @ BC look out on a jungle of shrubs, I don't want to look at or pay for a prime TP view, but just wish they had a way for you to pay a bit more and guarentee that you're not looking at parking lots, construction, whatever - you know, a way for those who don't care to pay a little less and be assigned those views and those of us who do care but don't need theme park/fireworks over the top views to enjoy pleasant views. Even when you pay more for a certain view it may be a disappointment, so I hesitate to do so, since it really irritates me when I've paid extra for a better view and was disappointed w/ it.
My observations in blue. As I mentioned in my first response, sounds like GF isn't a good fit for you, now you know.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #57
Dis703
DIS Veteran

We stayed at BC last week and we got the Welcome Home from quite a few CMs so its definitely not just DVC resorts. But I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't done as I just thought it seemed kind of silly.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #58
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
We stayed at BC last week and we got the Welcome Home from quite a few CMs so its definitely not just DVC resorts. But I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't done as I just thought it seemed kind of silly.
Um, BC is a DVC resort - the villas are the kind of turqouise looking buildings to the left (Epcot side) as you face the front of the resort.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #59
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Actually we gotten "welcome home" at POFQ from several of the staff coming back from the parks
Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #60
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

OP, it sounds like the GF just wasn't a good fit for you. I understand the expectations are high when you plan a Disney vacation AND spend a lot of money at one of the most expensive resorts.

We ran into a really snarky CM at Epcot last week on a day when it was literally 93 degrees outside. It was an older lady working the drink carts with all the bottled water and ice. I was seriously feeling overheated so I took an ice cube and this lady flipped. She told me they're not safe for human consumption, that we could get sick. I politely told her I wasn't going to eat it, I was going to rub it on the back of my neck to cool down. She then said "do not take it" so I said "sorry, but it's 93 out and my skin is melting lol".

I think it's rare to have a snarky CM but not unheard of. I hope you continue to enjoy your trip with your family and grandson!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: