Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #31
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

If you are still there, and you are extremely displeased with your location, then you can ask to be moved to another room or have them check on moving you to the Contemporary if you'd prefer to be there. Asking, not yelling, since getting angry will probably not help things. You will need to ask the manager at the GF. Sorry, nobody else you can ask while you're still there.

Sorry, no, I couldn't read the entire first post either, but I did get out of it that she is extremely displeased with the room location. I also got that she is extremely displeased that no one said "welcome home" when they arrived, can't help much with that.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #32
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

I am sorry you are disappointed, but all of this seems to me to be very minor and not something that would upset me, let alone make me hate a hotel. We all know room requests ate only requests and in no way a gurantee. frankly, everything else is truly VERY minor. I honestly think you probably started out this stay wishing you were at the Contemporary and waiting for GF to disappoint you so it is a self fulfilling prophecy and that all of your complaints stem from not getting your room request, which was just that, a request.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
Sue M
DIS Veteran

So sorry about your disappointment. We all dream of having the perfect Disney vacation, and plan everything out, down to room location, view, etc.
I think if there are mobility issues, it may help to say that in your room request, so the Room Assignor knows why you are requesting a specific location. Then they can help you better with getting a similar close location if your requested one isn't available. Hope your aunt is not having too difficult a time.

I agree, you should address your concerns while you are there rather then waiting.

During busy seasons, busses are always packed at park closing no matter what resort your at. why we love the BC/YC, we can walk to 2 parks. Even when we go in low seasons, Jan & August busses at park closing are packed.

I love using the boat to GF from MK. First stop!
Hope everything works out.
Be sure to let us know the outcome.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL

Last edited by Sue M; 05-31-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OP, sorry, but I have to agree with many of the PPs- that first post was almost painful to try and read. Between the lack of paragraphs and your run on sentences, I had to go back and re-read a lot of what you wrote. Let me see if I can summarize the main points:

1. You started your trip regretting that you were staying at the GF, when you really wanted the Contemporary. And you HATE, HATE, HATE the GF.

2. You are upset that you didn't get into your room until 1:30, even though the official check in time is 3pm.

3. You are upset that you didn't get your room requests, even though you know that they are never guaranteed. You did get rooms near each other, but didn't like the view from your window.

4.Your DD didn't have a DVD player in her room.

5. You are also upset with your room location because you have an Aunt with mobility restrictions. But you apparently don't think it's bad enough that she would benefit from a wheelchair or an ECV. How did she manage to cope in the parks?

6. You overheard another guest speaking with a CM about problems that they had with their reservations and park tickets. Did you stick around to listen to the whole conversation right to the end? Good for you- I'd probably be to wrapped up in my own business.

7. You had to go down to get your car out of valet parking and had to wait while it was brought to you. You were unable to call ahead. And they weren't busy AT THE TIME that you showed up. So the manager's reason why the call-ahead service wasn't available was totally bogus.

8. It was too far to walk to the bus stop. The bus coming back to the resort at the end of your DHS day was packed with standing passengers. ( OMG- who could ever imagine such a thing!!) I'd be outraged too.

9. No one said "Welcome Home" when you got off the bus and no one in the store welcomed your DDs arrival there. Just not servile enough...

10. Housekeeping argued with you that there should already be extra blankets in the room, when they had in fact left extra pillows by mistake.

11. You found one of the bellhops helpful.

12. You spent a lot of money on this trip, darn it, and you didn't get your money's worth.

Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Because of its length, you might want to write down your list of complaints before you go back to the hotel manager again, if that is your decision. If you choose, instead, to make a written complaint- please use paragraphs and leave the run on sentences behind. I haven't read every response to your OP, but assume that someone has given you the email address for guest complaints and comments.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
I was not upset at getting into the room at 1:30, I was upset at the front desk arguing with me about texting me. Why would I lie about something like that? Yes, they very well COULD have sent it to a wrong number, though I confirmed the number with them twice AND I received and confirmed the message about allowing text messaging to be able to get the text message when the room was ready.
We had a very similar issue with the text at POR during our April Trip. We came back from the parks in the early afternoon (we actually checked in at 7:00am ... since we took the red eye) and checked with the front desk to see when our room might be ready and they told us it had been ready for over two hours. We also showed them that we had no text and re-confirmed the phone number on record. Forunately, the CM just simply apologized to us. Of the myriad trips we've taken, it was the first time it ever happened to us. Unfortunately, things can happen at any of the resorts (we've tried almost all of them) ... sorry to hear your stay at the GF had some hiccups. We've had a few very enjoyable stays there.

Last edited by elaw; 05-31-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
OP, have you asked if you can be moved to the Contemporary? I've certainly read of people that were able to change resorts when their problems at the first became too much for them.

On the other hand, maybe yesterday was a fluke and the rest of your stay will be fine.

Ask to have a DVD player brought to your room, if it's supposed to have one. (I didn't realize that was an amenity at GF now).
I agree, go down and ask to be moved to CR. My MIL was there last year and they hated where they were. They went down and the front desk arranged for them to move to another Deluxe for the rest of their stay. No problems.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

OP, I feel your pain. We stayed at the GF in early December and we were disappointed. We also got the exact opposite of our requested building. They put us next to the boat launch that we could not even use due to one of us using an ECV. During our stay, the Monorail was down a portion of each day, forcing ALL people with ECVs to use the bus. Transportation was a nightmare. I doubt that we will stay there again.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at some responses to the OP regarding grammar and no paragraphs. That's not very helpful and I believe meant to embarrass someone.
I'm not surprised. I read the first ten lines and then gave up. It was too difficult to muddle through. I believe that the OP may have some valid points somewhere in that long post.

However, I will respond to what I did read.

Official check-in times are
  • 1:00 pm at the Fort Wilderness campsites
  • 4:00 pm at AllStar and DVC Resorts
  • 3:00 pm at all other resorts
Your room should be ready by this official check-in time. If it is not, then you have a reasonable complaint. It's entirely possible that a text message was sent to you but never went thru. I've receive delayed texts many times in WDW.

Room requests are just that...requests. They are fulfilled in the best possible way for the guests but sometimes you just can't get exactly what you want. The CMs do the best that they can but when you request specific buildings, specific floors and to have more than one room with the same requirements nearby, something is going to have to give. The CM placed you in a building where the two rooms are close to each other and didn't put you on the ground floor, OP. That was probably the best that they could do.

The rest is lost to me. I couldn't read any further.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdeb View Post
Was not meaning to be snarky or condescending.
This has nothing to do with love of disney -we all love disney, that is why we all vacation there, and share information!!
But if there are issues, isn't it best to deal with them(calmly and politely) while at resort?
Again, title of thread is inflammatory.
Well you said it yourself, we're on here to share information with each other. That's what the OP was doing- and by doing that, she got some really good responses which told her to make the complaint before she heads home, and while she is still there- maybe they can still do something to rectify the situation for her. She happens to "hate" GF because of her bad experience, which she is entitled to post about. Maybe you didn't mean to come off as snarky or condescending, but it certainly wasn't very nice. Also, if you found the TITLE to be inflammatory, then you should have just bypassed this thread completely and not engaged. The purpose of this message board, is like you said, to share a love for Disney with other Disers, not to gain Internet Muscles and tear people's posts down. She had an issue with the hotel, not anyone on here!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #40
Eddykildare
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=minnie mum;48552387]OP, sorry, but I have to agree with many of the PPs- that first post was almost painful to try and read. Between the lack of paragraphs and your run on sentences, I had to go back and re-read a lot of what you wrote. Let me see if I can summarize the main points:

1. You started your trip regretting that you were staying at the GF, when you really wanted the Contemporary. And you HATE, HATE, HATE the GF.

2. You are upset that you didn't get into your room until 1:30, even though the official check in time is 3pm.

3. You are upset that you didn't get your room requests, even though you know that they are never guaranteed. You did get rooms near each other, but didn't like the view from your window.
There is a simple solution for this. Pay for Sugar Loaf and get the building you want.
4.Your DD didn't have a DVD player in her room.

5. You are also upset with your room location because you have an Aunt with mobility restrictions. But you apparently don't think it's bad enough that she would benefit from a wheelchair or an ECV. How did she manage to cope in the parks?

6. You overheard another guest speaking with a CM about problems that they had with their reservations and park tickets. Did you stick around to listen to the whole conversation right to the end? Good for you- I'd probably be to wrapped up in my own business.

7. You had to go down to get your car out of valet parking and had to wait while it was brought to you. You were unable to call ahead. And they weren't busy AT THE TIME that you showed up. So the manager's reason why the call-ahead service wasn't available was totally bogus.

8. It was too far to walk to the bus stop. The bus coming back to the resort at the end of your DHS day was packed with standing passengers. ( OMG- who could ever imagine such a thing!!) I'd be outraged too.
We were there the park was open for 24 hours and the ticket parking lot was closed. People hat to park at Epcot. At half past ten the mono rail was packed and broke down. Nobody complained.
9. No one said "Welcome Home" when you got off the bus and no one in the store welcomed your DDs arrival there. Just not servile enough...
Richard is the Greeter there he is 91 years old and always on his post and greeting people. We saw him every day and he greeted us eacht time we saw him. [IMG][/IMG]
10. Housekeeping argued with you that there should already be extra blankets in the room, when they had in fact left extra pillows by mistake.

11. You found one of the bellhops helpful.

12. You spent a lot of money on this trip, darn it, and you didn't get your money's worth.
A non argument. We spend more and had no complains.
Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Because of its length, you might want to write down your list of complaints before you go back to the hotel manager again, if that is your decision. If you choose, instead, to make a written complaint- please use paragraphs and leave the run on sentences behind. I haven't read every response to your OP, but assume that someone has given you the email address for guest complaints and comments.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #41
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
The guy ahead of me was from Scotland had 3 rooms and they had not informed him of the pool being closed and had sold them the wrong tickets so the guy and his kids had gone to a park and they refused to let them in...I don't know if they maybe didn't buy park hoppers or if it was something else but they were not helping him AT ALL.
Who is "they"? When you make your reservations does the TA or CRO tell you about all the refurbs that may or may not happen while you are going to be there? When they made their reservations the pool may not have been officially scheduled for closure. How do you get sold the "wrong" tickets? And how is that any fault of the GF front desk?

You also said that you are used to be told "Welcome home" whenever you return to the hotel. To the best of my knowledge that is only done at DVC properties. I know that they have never said that to me at the Poly, or any other resort that we have entered at WDW.

It really seems to me that most of your complaints are related to not getting the specific location that you wanted, although the GF most likely would have been able to get you closer to that location had you been willing to wait for it. At the time you were more concerned about immediate access to a room so you accepted what was available at that time (well earlier than the posted check-in time). So even though you got the exact room category you paid for (and $8K is pretty good for 6 people at the GF) some of your unrealistic expectations were not met therefore everything is the GFs fault.

My wife and I routinely walk from the Poly over to the GF so I don't think any of the rooms at the GF are really that far from any point at the GF. Yeah, some are closer than others but if location was that critical you could have booked the main building rather than one of the out buildings.

The best advice I can offer you is to not post here on the DIS when you are tired and upset, next time wait until you have calmed down and then decide if you really want to post.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #42
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Had a similar issue with phone/text when the room was ready last year at BC. We knew we had arrived early, but when 5 pm came and went, we finally went to the front desk. They insisted they had sent us a text on our cell phone. Told us the phone number and everything. Well, after arriving home 2 weeks later, we had a message on our home answering machine that our room was ready.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddykildare View Post
Good grammar is a form of politeness.
No it's not.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #44
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
I am sorry you are disappointed, but all of this seems to me to be very minor and not something that would upset me, let alone make me hate a hotel. We all know room requests ate only requests and in no way a gurantee. frankly, everything else is truly VERY minor. I honestly think you probably started out this stay wishing you were at the Contemporary and waiting for GF to disappoint you so it is a self fulfilling prophecy and that all of your complaints stem from not getting your room request, which was just that, a request.
I agree. Having a text get lost, and still getting your room early? Not worth being upset over. Not getting requests? Worth being disappointed over, not worth being upset over.

I also hope that if the OP is as unhappy at the Grand Floridian as they seem to be, they ask to be switched to another resort. No need to spend a trip at WDW at a resort you dislike.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #45
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I totally understand hating the resort where you are, even if no one else understands. I feel the same about Animal Kingdom, both Jambo and Kidani. Though actually Kidani wasn't as bad, but I still won't be choosing to stay there any time soon.

Quote:
Their reply was sorry it was the only building that had 2 rooms near each other
At that point, if being near each other wasn't important, you say "that's not important, let's move us around".

And why would you not believe it? If you think about how complicated room assignments must be (and since it was at the heart of my initial problem at Jambo, I've given it a LOT of thought), there's no reason to disbelieve it. You had two rooms booked, apparently connected to each other. Why would they not assume you wanted them together? And during a busy busy time, it's going to be HARD to get rooms right next to each other.

Quote:
I was not upset at getting into the room at 1:30, I was upset at the front desk arguing with me about texting me. Why would I lie about something like that? Yes, they very well COULD have sent it to a wrong number, though I confirmed the number with them twice AND I received and confirmed the message about allowing text messaging to be able to get the text message when the room was ready.
Focus on that with a manager. That the CM shouldn't have *argued* with you about the text. The CMs should know by now that not all texts get through. They should know, WE should know, that not all texts are received; I have had many texts, that I know were sent, never get to me, and I've sent texts that never got through, or got through days later. Yesterday at noon I got a text sent to me by DH the previous day at 3:38pm, and it was even timestamped as that! Phones are funny and systems are funny.

No one should have been arguing about it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post

Maybe you could get a scooter or other vehicle for the aunt to help with the walk? Hope things improve for you!!
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at some responses to the OP regarding grammar and no paragraphs. That's not very helpful and I believe meant to embarrass someone.
Most people do not intend for embarrassment. They intend to help the OP in the future. Often, an original poster will come back later, when more calm, and separate it out into paragraphs. Soon after they get MANY more people reading it and responding, better able to understand the situation.

When we're on a message board, we're trying to communicate. If a person is doing so in such a way that she's NOT communicating, and is actually keeping people from reading what she's writing, then what's the point of putting it on a message board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMikey View Post
The woman came here for help and to talk about her problems, and people find the need to complain about grammar?
Is the lack of paragraphs actually considered grammar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
But if this is how the OP is presenting her case on the boards, I can't imagine that she's doing a better job of presenting it to the CMs at the GF. I do disagree with the suggestion that she not post her issues here; especially if other posters can help her do a better job of organizing her thoughts and focusing on the customer service issues that can be addressed vs. the things that she is upset about that aren't really problems per se.
Yes, exactly. If she cannot organize thoughts while typing, is she organizing thoughts while talking? I know that for me, they go together. If the "slow down, take a breath, make some bullet-points" suggestions help her communicate it to the managers, she will do a LOT better than just blasting them like the initial post did.

[QUOTE=Eddykildare;48552986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Richard is the Greeter there he is 91 years old and always on his post and greeting people. We saw him every day and he greeted us eacht time we saw him. [IMG][/IMG]

FWIW we've done tea at the GF three times and I've never seen that man.

But then I don't really care about being greeted when we arrive; makes me feel uncomfortable. It's the one downside to DVC for me. Of course, GF isn't DVC quite yet, so "welcome home" wouldn't be appropriate IMO anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
Who is "they"? When you make your reservations does the TA or CRO tell you about all the refurbs that may or may not happen while you are going to be there? When they made their reservations the pool may not have been officially scheduled for closure. How do you get sold the "wrong" tickets?
I agree with the ticket question.

But when we've been at a resort during a refurbishment time, they have sent a letter letting us know.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: