Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Budgeting for Disneyland--How much for a week to Disneyland??

Hi there everyone!

We are trying to make Disneyland a reality. We were supposed to go this year, but that fell through and our new aim is for March of 2014. For those of you who have done Disneyland and would not mind sharing your expenses for a week stay, it would be helpful. We want to go for a week 4 days of parks and staying on site is not a priority. While we would love to stay at one of the Disney resorts it is not in our budget right now. How much have you spent on tickets, near by hotels and food for a week? Are the hotels close enough to walk so we do not have to rent a car? Which airport do we fly to? Any information is appreciated. Can a person making dining reservations online like at Disney World? We are so excited and wanting to see if this is at all possible. Thanks so much!!

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Midnightred
DIS Veteran

I don't mind giving you my numbers! We are a family of 4, me, DH, DS 11, DS8.
Flight on Southwest El Paso to LAX direct: 1,343.20 for 4 people
6 nights at the HOJO Kid's Suite with Promo: $1,310.99
Van Service round trip from LAX to HOJO on DK Livery: $175
Money for Tips, Grocery Store Stop, and Gift Shop: $100
5 Day Park Hoppers: $1,140.00
ART Bus Pass $65 for 4 (We prefer to use the shuttle).
Mimi's Cafe: $100
Spending Money for Food and Souveniers: $750-$1000

Hope this helps!

Midnightred
Midnightred is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

If you are on a budget, there are great hotels a bit further away with shuttle service. We stayed at the Hilton garden inn last time for under $100 and a ten minute shuttle ride. Staying a bit further out would be the first thing I'd do if on a budget. It's really not that much of an inconvenience. Also factor in breakfast costs for your family between hotels with breakfast and without. That can add up fast!
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

If you are budget conscious, you should be able ti do five nights for $2500-$2700(everything except transportation) you wouldn't get many table service meals in the park, but honestly, I don't go for the food :-)
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

Like the op said I would look for a hotel a bit farther out like Garden Grove, Orange or Buena Park. Make sure they have a shuttle service & free full breakfast. We are a family of 5 (3) teens & the free breakfast buffet saves like $60+ per day & the kids love it. We have stayed at the raddison suites buena park which is like 2 exits on highway 5 from DL & it included free shuttle & breakfast. I would get tickets from way.com for discounted tickets. & if you have AAA you can get a discount on the hotel. I would also check getawaytoday.com as they have 3rd & 4th nights free.

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
laurasvwee
Mouseketeer

We fly into to the Long Beach airport because it is cheaper. So you may want to check with all the surrounding airports. This year we got a AAA membership because we saved over $300.00 off our Disney package and it included a shuttle. You can call AAA with your best prices and see if they can beat them and if you like their prices then you can get a membership. For 3 of us I budgeted $125.00 a day for food. We are staying at PPH so I am having Von's the local grocery store deliver our breakfast stuff like muffins, oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese. It's free delivery for your first order over $49.00.
laurasvwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

This is definitely helping! I did forget to mention that its only 2 adults, Dh and I. So it may be a bit less than the numbers I am getting. We have a Disney Cruise planned for the week in March and while I LOVE DCL, we have never been to Disneyland and if it's not that much more expensive, I really want to go. Thanks so much for everyone who has given us feedback.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

I would budget a $100/day for food incl snacks. I budget for that and we are 2 adults and 1 child but I don't consider us especially big eaters and we don't often do sit down dinners in the evening. More than once we've left the park for a mid day break and picked up subway to eat at our hotel ( along with a fantastic disney pickle )

Some days we will go over that budget if we eat at DTD or even at a couple of the restaurants down near Gardenwalk. We ate at Bubba Gumps one night, had brunch at Ralph Brennans another day etc.

Hotel is a big variable given it can range anywhere from $75-500/nt depending on the property. Off property will save you a ton of $$$$ which you might choose to spend on special dining or special event seating like F!

We've stayed at the Sheraton Park a couple of times and found it a nice hotel style property which is about a 10-15 minute walk away. Very easy walk and it takes you past a couple of little shops to pick up snacks and water if you like. I've seen it for as low as $100/nt thru lastminutetravelclub and I just checked expedia and in the middle of high season ( I chose august ) it's still about $130/nt . Sometimes you can find a promo with them that offers a 25$/nt room credit, great for roomservice breakfast!
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Barry Browning
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't disagree with the numbers above but there are several potential ways to cut costs a lot.I use a SW visa for utilities, gas, groceries, everything and pay it off every month.This works as long as you can pay it off timely.Thats enough to get you about a one way ticket each month on SW.

Another idea is buying Disney gift cards for the tickets and the parks using a Target Credit Card.They give you a discount I think it is 5%.

My other suggestion here is to stay close even if its a bit more.The Tropicana, Desert Inn, Carousel, Hojo are all within walking distance.You can hit McDonalds or Hotel has breakfast.You can also come out for lunch and take a break.Honestly you can save tons on food out of the park unlike Disneyworld.

Using a shuttle and skipping the rental will also lower costs because hotels charge to park.

I am sure there are many other tips others will give you but getting free airfare here is a great start to a cheaper trip.

Take food in with you in your backpacks, that will cut it a bunch too.We really only eat maybe one meal a day in the parks and usually share meals.
Barry Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Guy in Fargo
Earning My Ears

December 2012

Allegiant Air $300/ticket x 4.
Disneyland Resort Express $100
7 nights at HoJo $1200
Tickets 6 day park hoppers $900
Groceries delivered to the room $150
Ariel Meal $150
Minnie's Breakfast $150
Food & Souvies (a lot of christmas gifts) $1000

All told, almost five grand.
Guy in Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
mystic95
Mouseketeer

My DS(13) and I will be at DL next week.(6/4 to 6/12).. We are flying from Montana to Santa Ana. Roundtrip plane tickets were like $580 (including trip insurance). Got hotel (Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites.. Across the street from DL) and car rental (Hertz) through cheaptickets.com (including trip insurance and car insurance) for $882. Got 4 (1 park per day) day DL tickets for $495. I also got the Fantasmic! Desert package $120. Also got the photopass+ for $70. I also picked up some Disney gift cards to help with in park spending $200. (Or at least keep my son on a budget.. LOL)

Which comes out to around $2350.... The only thing that is left is food and souvenirs and gas(for rental car)... But I really don't know what prices are like down there... So I haven't been able to establish a budget for that... I want to find a grocery store to get some breakfast items.. So we can eat before going to the parks.. No idea what gas is a gallon there... So we are just gonna "wing" it... LOL

good luck in your planning

First trip to Disneyland in June, 2013 (DS and I)
May 2014 trip to Disneyland (DH and I)
mystic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

Hey guyinfargo where are you getting your 6 day hoppers??

May 14 - May 21 2014
Staying at the Howard Johnson
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
AC7179
DIS Veteran

June 2013

4 adults, 1 child

Dfw to lax: $1200
PPH for 7 nights: $2100
5 5-day one park one day tickets: $1280
Spending money: $1600
Transportation to hotel from LAX: $175
Parking at airport: $150

Omg, haven't added that up before now! $6,475! My word!
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
DarthMole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethannah View Post
Hey guyinfargo where are you getting your 6 day hoppers??
I was wondering how he got 4 of them so cheap, but since he went in 2012, he may have purchased them prior to May when they were discontinued. We had 6-day hoppers in July 2012 that we purchased in March or April. I don't recall them being $225 though.
DarthMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Kittyskyfish
Wee little ears...

We're going December 2013 - two adults Mind you, you're making me look at the financials of our upcoming trip and that scares me a bit. I prefer culpable ignorance. LOL!

Airfare from Cleveland to LAX (least expensive option) - $747.60
Fairfield Inn Anaheim on Harbor Blvd (8 nights) - $997.52
2 Deluxe APs - $938
SuperShuttle transportation between LAX and FFI - $72.00, includes a 20% tip. (will book this later in the year when new discount codes pop up)
Food for 8 days in the park: $800
Other stuff: $200

Total: $3755.12

Now for explanations:
It's a good idea to check LastMinuteTravel.com (LMT) for hotels. Their prices can be lower than other sites like Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, etc. because many of the hotels are only listed as "3-star hotel in Disneyland Area/Anaheim", for those you're not *supposed* to know which hotel you're reserving. BUT! They are linked to Tripadvisor and if there's a hotel you are interested in, go to Tripadvisor and note the # of reviews that hotel has. Then go back to LMT and do a page search for that number. For example, the Fairfield Inn has 963 reviews on Tripadvisor. On LMT, I look up hotels in Anaheim CA and search the page for "963" (ctrl + f), and that takes me to a hotel option that has the same room pictures and rating histogram as Tripadvisor's Fairfield Inn. There, I found the Fairfield! Had I booked with Hotels.com or directly with the Fairfield, I would have paid $1209.84. Instead I paid $997.52 for the same type of room, saving $212.32. (note: today's rate on LMT is a little higher than when I reserved last month - just in case you were checking my cost!)

We're getting Deluxe APs since DLR technically does not do Park Hoppers beyond 5 days. There is some discussion about upgrading to additional days at the ticket booth but it's pretty much rumor-only going past 6 days. An AP is our least expensive option and the least hassle for 8 days in the parks.

Retailmenot.com always has discount codes for Supershuttle.

HTH!
Kittyskyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: