Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
TKH
Mouseketeer

DDP - Kid wants adult meal at counter service?

There is one counter service restaurant, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, where my 8 year old (a week shy of 9) would like to order an adult meal. We'll have the Disney Dining Plan, and it's already so much food that I hate to pay cash and end up with even more food due to the child credit that we'd then have. My question is, can my son order an adult meal and, to make up the difference, I would order a child's meal somewhere else? We would not be eating at the same time that day, because I will be at a different park for the YES Program class of my other son. I don't want to skirt any rules, just wondering if we can swap meals when we can't order at the same time. If we need to, we'll just pay cash and it's not a huge deal. Thank you.
TKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
MickeyGs
Mouseketeer

Absolutely

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
MickeyGs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
TK27
Earning My Ears

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DDP states that children 9 and under must order from the children's menu where it is available.
TK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
msmama
DIS Veteran

I'm fairly certain that if you have a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and are staying for 7 days then essentially you have 14 Adult TS credits and 14 child TS credits to do with as you please. If you wanted to order 7 adult entrees at one meal, you could do that.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

OP - you could do that. If your KTTW card says 1 adult 1 child I suppose he might get questioned being a 9 year old. I'd give him cash just in case. Are you supposed to? I don't know if this would qualify as breaking the rules. I don't see it any differently as an adult and child ordering at once (1 meal each) and then switching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama View Post
I'm fairly certain that if you have a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and are staying for 7 days then essentially you have 14 Adult TS credits and 14 child TS credits to do with as you please. If you wanted to order 7 adult entrees at one meal, you could do that.
You're partly right. You will get all your credits at once. But you can not order more than the amount on your card. You could do 7 adult meals in one day if you want, but you can't order 7 adult meals at once since you will only have 2 adults listed on your KTTW.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
TKH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK27 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the DDP states that children 9 and under must order from the children's menu where it is available.
Yes, I think that's right. It's just that he loves the adult Asian choices there, and gets tired of nuggets and pizza. I would order a kid's meal at MK that day to 'even it out', if that's allowed. We'd be using the correct allotment of adult vs kid dining plan credits for counter service.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
Yes, I think that's right. It's just that he loves the adult Asian choices there, and gets tired of nuggets and pizza. I would order a kid's meal at MK that day to 'even it out', if that's allowed. We'd be using the correct allotment of adult vs kid dining plan credits for counter service.
Honestly, reading this portion I think you'd have a problem using a child credit. You're clearly an adult. Even though they're taking an child entree off I think they would charge you the adult credit, even if you explained since it's kind of a technicality.

You'd probably be better off giving him cash.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
TKH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Honestly, reading this portion I think you'd have a problem using a child credit. You're clearly an adult. Even though they're taking an child entree off I think they would charge you the adult credit, even if you explained since it's kind of a technicality.

You'd probably be better
off giving him cash.
Yes, and I don't want to create confusion. Maybe we'll just pay cash. I'm always afraid to eat at Casey's hot dog place at MK for that reason...I'm worried they'll charge us all adult credits since there are no kids meals...then we'll all be eating nuggets on the last day!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

I don't think you will have any problems. As long as you are using the correct amount of credits.

Last trip dd was not hungry when the rest of us were hungry. Later on when she was hungry, I went up and ordered a kids CS meal and no one questioned where is the kid?

Also, I just looked at one of my receipts, (why do I save these things?) and for CS credits it did not distinguish between adult and kids.

Give your son some money. Have him order what he wants, and let him give them the card. If they say he can't do that, then he will have money to pay for it.

Again I really don't think they will care as long as the credits are available on the card and since you are going to be honest and order a kids meal later.

Not like you are trying to cheat on the dining plan.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Because these are counter service meals, you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. If you are ordering more adults meals than you have people traveling, just pay for some of the meals and go back and get another adult meal. As far as order kids meals later, you can do the same thing only with kid meals.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Yes, and I don't want to create confusion. Maybe we'll just pay cash. I'm always afraid to eat at Casey's hot dog place at MK for that reason...I'm worried they'll charge us all adult credits since there are no kids meals...then we'll all be eating nuggets on the last day!
A child 9 and under is supposed to order from the kids' menu, but they are free to order from the adult menu when no kids' menu is available, such as at Casey's.

Also, you wouldn't have to worry about them taking too many adult credits away at Casey's because they don't keep up with counter service meals the same way they keep up with table service meals. Counter service meals come out of the same pool (you go into a counter service location with 24 credits and leave with 20); table service meals are separated into adult/child (you go in with 12 adult and 12 child and leave with 10 adult and 10 child). I would guess they do this because there are some counter service places with no kids' menu, so they have to allow kids to order from what is offered.

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 01-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is no distinction between adult and child CS credits. So, you would not "use up" your adult CS credits at a restaurant that does not have kids meals. That being said, the rules do state that children 9 and under must use their credits on kids meals (if available). So the OP will need to either order a kids meal for herself or pay OOP for her child's meal.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Order X adult meals and Y kids meals whatever your dining plan calls for.

When the entrees are served, cut them all up into little pieces and share.

This also allows the flexibility of ordering fewer meals than there are people if you have trouble finishing it all, for example X adult meals and Y minus one kids meals.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 01-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post

You'd probably be better off giving him cash.
When you go up to a CS and order a child's meal, they will assume you are getting it for your child who may or may not be anywhere near you at the time. You will not be questioned at all at CS.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Disney does publish that children age 3-9 must order from the children's menu with their credits, even at CS, unless the restaurant has no child's menu. (Because it's published by Disney, the DIS follows this and I've deleted all posts that say otherwise.)

However, as long as you order the correct meal with the correct credit, it isn't going to matter who eats it, so yes, you can trade meals with your child.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: