Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

The only ones I know that you book specifically were the parasailing and stingrays. We did stingrays in Caymans and I don't think ANYTHING can beat that, so we didn't try. (We made our special excursion in Nassau to do the Sea Lion encounter instead. Wow!) And jetskiing. Jetskiing AND parasailing were both cancelled the day we were at CC. So not sure what to advise you except that there is SO MUCH already included that we were hardpressed to fit it all in! And for once, all we paid for were a few bottled waters to keep with us for volleyball.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Mickey Cruiser 4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
The only ones I know that you book specifically were the parasailing and stingrays. We did stingrays in Caymans and I don't think ANYTHING can beat that, so we didn't try. (We made our special excursion in Nassau to do the Sea Lion encounter instead. Wow!) And jetskiing. Jetskiing AND parasailing were both cancelled the day we were at CC. So not sure what to advise you except that there is SO MUCH already included that we were hardpressed to fit it all in! And for once, all we paid for were a few bottled waters to keep with us for volleyball.

Thanks this is my first cruise.. so i wasnt sure what you could do if you didnt do the excursions.
Mickey Cruiser 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
bajadahl
I am the Pirate your mom warned you about!!!

Kind of expensive but I Highly recommend the Jet Ski excursion. It is a fantastic way to cruise around the island. I did it with my 8 year old daughter and we had a blast. It was a highlight of the trip for us. They take you around the back side of the island allowing you to go at relaxed pace or as fast as you dare to go with one CM leading at a blistering pace (Technically the excursions are run by Bahamian Contractors but I am using CM for ease here) another CM follows at the pace set by the slowest ski. We stopped at a beach on the back side of the island and played in the water and scoured the beach for cool wild life.

Snorkeling is also great and much cheaper then the Jet Ski's. My daughter spotted a sting ray in the wild which we thought was so much cooler then playing with the ones fenced in at the Sting Ray Adventure. Of course it was much smaller then the well fed trapped sting rays but we must have followed the one in the wild for at least half an hour.

I will see if I can dig up a few photos.
bajadahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

You don't have to pay to snorkel, just bring your own mask and fins! It is great snorkeling and very safe! (Although very very tiring.)

I saw a beautiful purple/blue sting ray as well in the snorkel lagoon. Too bad my camera was used up with all the crazy piles and columns of fish we saw!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
bajadahl

A Few Images from CC excursions

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Btw you are a very awesome dad. Like my daddy is.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
bajadahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Btw you are a very awesome dad. Like my daddy is.
Wow - You know how to make a dad feel good.... Thanks! It was fun for me to go back through last years photos and remember what a great trip we had. Both of my girls had a blast at CC but the little one (also my dare devil) had the most fun on that Jet Ski! Although finding the sting ray on her own in the wild was a huge highlight also.

We took the Magic out of Galveston this year for Spring Break and it was really fun but not stopping at CC was a real bummer. We have Alaska booked for 2014 so it looks like it could be a while before we get back to CC....too bad.

Also - don't know if this has been mention yet but if your going to CC I highly recommend getting a water proof camera. Disposable or even a decent water proof PS if your budget allows. The sting ray underwater picture I posted earlier was taken on a Panasonic TS4.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Best/favorite thing to do on CC:

Buy half-price drinks after 2pm!

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
ludari
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed doing the kayaking excursion and snorkeling. They are other port adventures I still want to try at Castaway Cay.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
Davistigers
Earning My Ears

We've been to Castaway Cay twice now. The first time when our kids were 4 and 7 we did not do anything, just played on the beach and in the water all day. It was great and relaxing. I did, however, book a massage in one of the on-island spa cabanas that trip. It was HEAVENLY. The sound of the ocean waves as I got a massage was more relaxing than any new age music and the warm breezes in the roomy cabana were more welcoming than a small spa massage room. I highly recommend a massage here over the spa on the ship. Worth the extra money!

On our second trip 2 years ago, my kids were 9 and 12. Me, hubby and the 2 kids rented the bicycles and rode around the island "course" first thing. It was still a little overcast when we started but the sun came out before the end of the trip. This bicycle ride was my favorite memory and the best photos on the whole trip! The course is fun and tropical, it was good to get moving in the morning and then relax all day. We also liked going all the way out to the tower and climbing it to see the Dream from afar. Later that day, we let my 2 kids eat at the main buffet and then play games in the game area, while me and my hubby went to the adult beach for the adult buffet. The food was amazing and even thought we were gone just an hour, it was like a little mini date in the middle of the cruise.

Davistigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Gah, it's killing me because my son (and I) want to do both parasailing and the jet skis but he will be 3 months shy of turning 8. I'm sure we will still have a blast. But man, those 2 things look so cool!

I'll just have to plan one for next year lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: