Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Cast away cay activities

What are your favorite things to do and or book at castaway cay?

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
abitagirl916
Disneymaniac

My DD & I usually just hang on the Family Beach. We rent floats ($6 each) for the day, and just float around in the water, take breaks on lounge chairs, and then of course, eat the great BBQ lunch.
Tammy & Rachel -- 2/2004 AllStar Movies; 4/2006 Pop Century; 10/2007 Disney Magic; 5/2010 AllStar Movies; 6/2011 Disney Dream Double Dip; 9/2012 Shades of Green; 2/2013 AllStar Movies; 10/2013 Disney Fantasy-Western; 9/2014 AllStar Sports; 10/2015 Disney Fantasy-Western
abitagirl916 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Ready4NextCruise
Earning My Ears

A few of my favorites
  • Parasailing was an awesome excursion
  • Renting bikes
  • Pelican Plunge slides
Ready4NextCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitagirl916 View Post
My DD & I usually just hang on the Family Beach. We rent floats ($6 each) for the day, and just float around in the water, take breaks on lounge chairs, and then of course, eat the great BBQ lunch.
Ditto.

We also like snorkeling.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Snorkeling (we bring tails and goggles), Pelican Plunge, Volleyball (yes!), eat ice cream and fruit, make icecream floats, sit in a hammock, watch hermit crab races, do a line dance or two for island party, float on a tube at the end of the day in a mermaid tail while the staff started cleaning up the beach.

Those were all things we did with our day and it was great. We also did a lot of walking. Would have done 5K if Twinkie would have been up for it. (It's DEFINITELY on the itinerary for next year.)

We only paid for a bucket of water bottles to have at the volleyball all day. It was one of the best days we can remember on a cruise, with something for everyone and the Navigator that day is just as busy as the one for the boat!

We thought it was like going to a 5th WDW park out at sea. Just wonderful. I hit the buffet twice, and glad I did! With non stop walking, (we are never smart enough to take the tram first when we see a hundred people get on it), lots of volleyball, beach walking, tons and tons of swimming (it takes a lot to fight the current and get out to where the fish are), I was needing major energy that day. Afterward, we still went and got pizza and chicken tenders at 5:30 after riding Aquaduck and still were ready for dinner at 8:15!

We never made it to serenity bay. I will go there first and snorkel next time instead of the family snorkel lagoon. However, there was PLENTY to see there. You can do a search for a thread that was something like "What's there to do at Castaway" or something from a few weeks ago and a few of us posted some nice photos if you want a preview.

It would be very hard for us to plan another DCL that didn't go to CC...

~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

we get the floats (mats/tubes) and kayaking (walking and kayak tour) - too much "guided tour walk - not enough Kayak, but still a lot of fun.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We enjoyed hanging out on the beach - Serenity Bay for us. It was relaxing to just sit by the beautiful water and swim a bit. We also really enjoyed the BBQ lunch. I like photography so had fun taking pictures. And we spent a few $$ on Castaway Cay merchandise! It was an incredible day and we can't wait to go back.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
DisneyBookworm
Earning My Ears

On our first cruise, my family and I booked the bike, float, and snorkel package. We greatly enjoyed the bikes and snorkels, but didn't have enough time to use the floats. On our second cruise, we didn't book any excursions but still found plenty of things to do. We went on the Pelican Plunge slides, played volleyball, played in the water, ate (of course!), and just relaxed! There is always something to enjoy.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Mickey Cruiser 4
Earning My Ears

Is the beach within walking distance when you dock at castaway cay or do you have to get transportation to it?
Mickey Cruiser 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
mstinson14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Cruiser 4
Is the beach within walking distance when you dock at castaway cay or do you have to get transportation to it?
You can either walk or take the tram to the beach, but the beach is in walking distance.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

We liked the stingray interaction. We got the extreme getaway package that had package that included:

Snorkel Equipment Rental
One-hour Bicycle Rental
Float or Tube Rental
Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...taway-package/

We also rented water bikes.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran

My family and I will be going for the 1st time a year from now. What would you recommend for 1st timers. We are not looking to do it all but to hit some of the highlights. My thought in some of my researching was the 5K for me and then as a family the stingray interaction. My son really wants to do that.

By the way what is at the BBQ that everyone is referring to. What foods to do they have. And am I too assume that it's included or do we pay extra?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt&jakesmom View Post
My family and I will be going for the 1st time a year from now. What would you recommend for 1st timers. We are not looking to do it all but to hit some of the highlights. My thought in some of my researching was the 5K for me and then as a family the stingray interaction. My son really wants to do that.

By the way what is at the BBQ that everyone is referring to. What foods to do they have. And am I too assume that it's included or do we pay extra?

Thanks.
We were first timers too, with only 3 weeks to plan our entire trip. Had never been to Castaway and the only thing we knew is that the food was included. (And hadn't been on the forum either.) You are probably over-thinking Castaway a lil bit. Its a really easy day where you can literally do whatever you want (or nothing). Also, many activities you MAY want to do are actually going to be on the Navigator you get the night before.

So do your research, look into things like cabanas or stingrays that you may want to book. Otherwise, see where the wind takes you. You might just decide you want to sit in a hammock half the day, etc. Rather than ask us, if you want to do the stingrays, book that. And then leave the rest opened ended, that's my two cents anyway!

Also the food is sides like potato salad, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken maybe some fish I think, stuff like that. There is a BEAUTIFUL fruit stand and the drinks and ice cream is there, as are cookies (Didn't get any, but hear they are good!)

Think of it as a giant family picnic under the pavilion with lots of families all eating together. I hit the buffet with a lil at 11 when it opened and ate again before snorkeling at 2 just before it closed!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
ODellfamly
Earning My Ears

The snorkeling is fun and the floats. Wait to snorkel until about 11 or so. There will be far less people doing it! You won't see much until you get out a ways where they have placed things under water!!
ODellfamly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Mickey Cruiser 4
Earning My Ears

What is the best "excursion" to do at castaway cay. Or is it best to just have fun at the beach?
Mickey Cruiser 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: