Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
wayneJR
Earning My Ears

magic band

I wonder if the magic bands will be rolled out before our visit in November x
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

When are they supposed to start and what resorts are they being tested at?
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

They should be starting late summer, the bands are still in "testing" phases with select guests. The technology testing has been going on for months. It started with the "Touch to pay" feature at Point-of-sale locations and resort fromt desks, RFID to enter hotel rooms, and the new park entrance set up. The next step is putting the chip thats in the hotel room key into a band.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
rteetz
DIS Veteran

They are out right now for cast member only testing and even the cast members have a hard time getting them right now its very limited and I would say it should be at guest testing at least by November if not rolling out for full use but they have pushed release back already so who knows what's going to happen.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
They should be starting late summer, the bands are still in "testing" phases with select guests. The technology testing has been going on for months. It started with the "Touch to pay" feature at Point-of-sale locations and resort fromt desks, RFID to enter hotel rooms, and the new park entrance set up. The next step is putting the chip thats in the hotel room key into a band.
Would they really need a different RFID for the guest room? I would think the guest room would simply need to recognize the existing RFID.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The next step is putting the chip thats in the hotel room key into a band.
the magic band already has one. its the same rfid chip thats used at the turnstiles and every where else RFID is used.

RFID wise the cards they are handing for KTTW use do exactly the same things as the bands. what the bands add is a active wi fi signal that will, rumor has it, trigger personalized events to happen in the parks and on the attractions.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

We are also hoping that they are rolled out by November!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Qmaz246
DIS Veteran

If we're talking about the My Magic +, shouldn't they be rolling out by Mid-Summer, at the earliest? The only thing they have to finalize, and this is just a guess, is the coordination with them being tickets. They have the rfid chip working, as they have been tested in Epcot.

GIFS edited by me, If you want one PM me.
Qmaz246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Would they really need a different RFID for the guest room? I would think the guest room would simply need to recognize the existing RFID.
Thats what I am thinking....like a building access system you just allow the RFID access.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmaz246 View Post
If we're talking about the My Magic +, shouldn't they be rolling out by Mid-Summer, at the earliest? The only thing they have to finalize, and this is just a guess, is the coordination with them being tickets. They have the rfid chip working, as they have been tested in Epcot.
My magic + and the magic bands are not the same thing. they can roll out the magic bands without rolling out my magic +. The bands are part of my magic +. The part that allows customized experiences in the park and on the rides.

I think there are number of issues with my magic + that need to be worked out. now they may be waiting for those issues to worked out before releasing the band.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
jerivera
Mouseketeer

Anyone think they'll be live by August?

jerivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

Hope for end of April. Bring friends with there kids and will be the first trip for them. Anything will be great but new bands would make for a big plus.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneJR View Post
I wonder if the magic bands will be rolled out before our visit in November x
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
They are out right now for cast member only testing and even the cast members have a hard time getting them right now its very limited and I would say it should be at guest testing at least by November if not rolling out for full use but they have pushed release back already so who knows what's going to happen.

disney lover at heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmaz246 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerivera View Post
Anyone think they'll be live by August?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post
Hope for end of April. Bring friends with there kids and will be the first trip for them. Anything will be great but new bands would make for a big plus.
Sorry. No one has a clue when the entire concept will be released.

Notta.

And if they say they do, they really don't.

Sorry...
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
klmorg
Disney Fanatic

More band news

Found this link.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disne...orld%2Bupdates

Doesn't say if there is a special charge to use the bands or not. We are going in Nov and staying at POR. Does anyone know if the bands will be available to all resort guests, and is there an additional charge for them??

klmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmorg View Post
Found this link.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disne...orld%2Bupdates

Doesn't say if there is a special charge to use the bands or not. We are going in Nov and staying at POR. Does anyone know if the bands will be available to all resort guests, and is there an additional charge for them??
MagicBands, once deployed, will not incur an additional charge to Resort Guests or Annual Passholders. Guests with standard admission media who elect not to stay in a Walt Disney World resort will have the option of upgrading to a MagicBand device for a fee.
As of right now, there is no word on deployment of the bands. They are currently being distributed to parties, randomly selected, at Disney' Polynesian, and Animal Kingdom Lodge Resorts in the default grey and black color, for testing purposes.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: